PDA

View Full Version : power window probs

malky
25-01-2006, 09:28 PM
i have a problem with my 1998 passat 20v the drivers window goes up and then goes back down and stops half way and won,t go any more can any one help:1zhelp:

mike1
06-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi,

I had an A4 1.9 tdi before my current passat tdi and it did exactly the same occasionally. Never really caused a problem but would have been to complex for main dealers to even contemplate so left it alone. Good luck.

glynnd
07-02-2006, 06:00 PM
sounds like a fault on the anti trap sensor this fault sometimes occurs if you have had a new drop glass fitted

rjday
16-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Ive recently had the same problem on my passat. The snag was with the cable mechanism that lifts the window up and down. Basically the cable is essentially the same thing that operates the brake on a push bike. VW Charge £65 + vat for a new regulator (window winding mechanism to me), I bought a bicycle brake cable from halfords for £1:50 and fixed it. If when your window goes up and down you hear a lot of scraping and crunching then it might be the same snag as mine. If so then its a case of getting into the door (fiddly) taking of the regulator (having first removed the glass) and having a look to see if it can be fixed, when you look at it off the car it will be obvious if it can be sorted. I replaced the broken split bit of cable and attached with the new bit of cable with a cable connector crimped and filled with solder and it now works fine.
It took two evenings in the garage and a lot of messing about.

Hope this helped. Just ask if you want more info.