PDA

View Full Version : passat probs

r1ytm
24-04-2007, 03:56 PM
For a while now my car runs fine and then all of a sudden will drag as if im pulling a car or like hole in a hose or something and then it will go back to normal. I took it to 3 different people who diagnosed the car but found no faults however the fault is still there. The N75 valve was changed, the Air mass meter changed, spark plugs changed, dump valve changed, I've checked for broken hoses. The car without the turbo seems to have no life. Any suggestions? anyone had this prob? Would a remap do anything apart from increase power? I'm willing to try anything at the moment!!!!!
My car is a 1999 B5 1.8t 20v set with 140k Oh while at 1 of the garages a new timing belt, tensioners, camshaft gasket, water pump were replaced. I also have had the rocker cover gasket changed. I aint changed any of the ignition coils or the connectors which go onto the spark plugs yet that was going to be my next move.

shooey88
24-04-2007, 06:57 PM
you say wivout the turbo it has no life....have u checked to see if the turbo is actually working then? listen for its operation or see if the actuator on the turbo is functioning?

r1ytm
26-04-2007, 06:21 PM
you say wivout the turbo it has no life....have u checked to see if the turbo is actually working then? listen for its operation or see if the actuator on the turbo is functioning?
Sorry let me rephrase that - If the car didnt have a turbo it wouldnt move it's the turbo that gets the car moving.

shooey88
26-04-2007, 08:04 PM
did u know the mark 3 and some of the mark 4 golf GTIS dont have turbos....cars do still move without turbos. well obviously u dont want any help with ur problem then

TAFFY
26-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Above post is correct. a turbo car will still run turbo working or not !

r1ytm
30-04-2007, 01:14 PM
LOOK guys the prob is not with the turbo!!! wot im saying is the car seems to have something wrong with it! it is exteremly slugish it seems to be like i stated above as if im towing a car or like a air hose has a leak somewhere but the fault isnt showing up on any diagnostic, similar fault to a misfire. I am sorry if I confused you guys earlier wid the turbo biz! http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

shooey88
30-04-2007, 01:26 PM
if no faults show up.....you normally are not looking at an electrical fault.....but a mechanical one. (exceptions to that rule i.e being air mass meter being faulty) the turbos are a common for intermittant performance problems on the 20v thats why it was metioned. here just to provide knowledge and make suggestions and cant accurately make diagnosis without looking at the car myself.

is what u describing flat spots....does your car just not accelerate in certain gears...do you have a misfire? with vag com if you go to measured value blocks you can take misfire readings.
one thing i have seen that causes slight poor performance.....is the manifold variable intake flap....if you take the black end cap off the plastic manifold you will see the lever broken. thats another suggestion to find a possible fault.

gresty
30-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Could be the boost pressure sensor. If the ecu doesn't read any boost pressure, it wont shove more fuel/air through when the ole right foot gets implanted into the carpet, thus giving you the feeling that you have an engine without a turbo fitted.

r1ytm
30-04-2007, 09:58 PM
if no faults show up.....you normally are not looking at an electrical fault.....but a mechanical one. (exceptions to that rule i.e being air mass meter being faulty) the turbos are a common for intermittant performance problems on the 20v thats why it was metioned. here just to provide knowledge and make suggestions and cant accurately make diagnosis without looking at the car myself.

is what u describing flat spots....does your car just not accelerate in certain gears...do you have a misfire? with vag com if you go to measured value blocks you can take misfire readings.
one thing i have seen that causes slight poor performance.....is the manifold variable intake flap....if you take the black end cap off the plastic manifold you will see the lever broken. thats another suggestion to find a possible fault.
Now thats something i aint tried yet is it a big job?

r1ytm
30-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Could be the boost pressure sensor. If the ecu doesn't read any boost pressure, it wont shove more fuel/air through when the ole right foot gets implanted into the carpet, thus giving you the feeling that you have an engine without a turbo fitted.
where will i find the boost pressure sensor?

gresty
01-05-2007, 06:18 PM
where will i find the boost pressure sensor?

Boost sensor located on solid air pipe fron intercooler to intake manifold