PDA

View Full Version : 2 Stroke in Diesel

PassSPORT
01-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I have read alot about people who swear about putting 2 stroke oil in the diesel. Apparently it makes your engine a bit quieter, drastically reduces injector and valve wear, and improves fuel economy. Apparently because of the properties and a higher burning temperature it is said to keep your engine cleaner and less sooty. It is especially recommended ,if you use fuel other than what you get from the pumps.;) The mix ratio everyone uses is 200/1, which is 50ml of oil to every 10 lt of diesel. A low ash mineral or semi sen oil is recommended.

Has anyone done this?
Do a search on this and read different opinions and see what you think
I am going to give it a go as extra lube:Blush: can only be a better thing for extending the life of the injectors and valves.
It might smell good also.

snapdragon
01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
OK on a older pre mid-1990s diesel. My only concern on our cars would be the anti-scuff additives coating the exhaust catalyst with zinc and phosphorus.
Just add a litre of rapeseed oil (cheapest yellow veg oil) from the supermarket to a tankful as it will have the same effect and be cheaper.

PassSPORT
02-10-2009, 12:33 AM
OK on a older pre mid-1990s diesel. My only concern on our cars would be the anti-scuff additives coating the exhaust catalyst with zinc and phosphorus.
Just add a litre of rapeseed oil (cheapest yellow veg oil) from the supermarket to a tankful as it will have the same effect and be cheaper.

Thats supposedly why you are meat to use mineral or semi oil.
Have you used rapeseed oil at all?

asonofadad
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Sounds a bit dodgy to me, let me know how you get on...

snapdragon
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Thats supposedly why you are meat to use mineral or semi oil.
Have you used rapeseed oil at all?

Yes, but only because it's cheaper than diesel and bulks it out. I used to use 50:50 rapeseed and diesel but have found a place selling 100% biodiesel for 75p so I use that now.

vwtdi130pd
02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
did you use the 50:50 blend in a pd ?

snapdragon
03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
No I don't have a PD, but a small amount such as up to 5 litres should be ok in a PD, I have read others who do, but if I had one, I probably wouldn't.

PassSPORT
23-10-2009, 11:48 PM
I have been now running the 2 stroke now for about 400 miles.
So far I do think it runs slightly quieter and maybe a bit more smooth.
I have noticed that it does cut down on the amount of smoke under acceleration.
But the main thing that makes me want to continue with the mix is that knowing that the fuel pump and injectors are nicely lubed.
I also read that this can prevent the ERG valve from sticking as easily, but I am not sure about that one.
I have been using Stihl 2stroke which is a very good quality oil, as I had some lying about, at a mix of 200/1. So that's 50ml to every 10 Litres of Diesel.
I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has tried this
Mine is a PD 130.

vwtdi130pd
24-10-2009, 09:52 PM
widny be me the boffins at vw are good and they would say yes just like the delmonty guy if bio was ok for a pd but they say DIESEL ONLY so its DIESEL ONLY if you want to run on 2 stroke or veg oil get a mercedes E300td i have 70% wvo 30%derv runs better than 100% derv:biglaugh:

rozabikes
28-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the great replies so far.

I think some people are getting the wrong end of the stick re bulking fuel out etc. This is a small percentage as suggested by some replies and relates to additional lubricant properties / lack of sulphur in modern diesel that is eco friendly kind to all the bunnies.

996jimbo
31-01-2012, 10:54 AM
The only reason I can see for using something other than diesel is to save money and 2-stroke is more expensive than diesel. Diesel lubricates the pump fine so you just don't need anything else.

My understanding is that you can't use (cheaper) veg oil (at least not in any significant or useful quantity) on a PD engine because it knackers the seals and is bad for the high pressure fuel pump? I don't get the point of even trying 2-stroke oil - it sounds like a 'petrol additive' sort of solution ie does nothing to improve performance, costs twice the price of normal fuel and may damage your engine.

If you want to clean the injectors then why not simply use something designed to do just that? If you want better performance then you can just get the engine chipped. Other than that you won't know if you have affected reliability until your engine has covered 200,000 miles or you have killed it. Since it will do 200,000 miles anyway - what's the point of the risk?

P.S. my engine is on 170k, the fuel pump and injectors are doing fine and I just use diesel in the tank.

rozabikes
02-02-2012, 11:41 PM
The basic idea behind adding 2 stroke oil supposedly 2 fold -
i) To quieten the engine (as the lubricant sulphur etc no longer in modern pump diesel)
ii) also there is a claimed significant improvement in fuel consumption. Google it, there are very few negative comments as it seems to work.

Haven't tried it myself yet and posted elsewhere on the forum to see any first hand experience to this and the more questionable practice of adding acetone.

2 stroke oil can easily be obtained at £5/litre (cheaper than diesel in actual fact), so if the consumption is improved, its surely a no brainer? Does it work though.....?

portovechios
03-02-2012, 03:56 PM
I ran my PD on veg oil and a splash of acetone for 50k with no probs

Just stank like a doughnut stall but was smoother and quieter. Obviously the oil was 49p then oddly enough it went up to £1.10 overnight

caldirun
03-02-2012, 08:07 PM
2 stroke oil can easily be obtained at £5/litre (cheaper than diesel in actual fact), so if the consumption is improved, its surely a no brainer? Does it work though.....?
£5/Litre ???? and cheaper than diesel, is this a post from Inner London, one year into the future?

portovechios
04-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Stihl and Husqvarna produce the best 2 stroke oil around,low sulphur and low soot and deposits, and they do it in 100ml one shots, around £15 for 10 x. I'm gonna put one in every fill up and see what happens.

It seems that you need to add 250ml 2 stroke to 50ltrs, stihl one shots are twice as effective as standard 2 stroke oils so is perfect for a tankfull