PDA

View Full Version : Lower Door Runner

scoobystu
24-04-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm sure this must be a common problem. My lower door runner has collapsed. Well it looks more like the bearing has rotted.

Someone is selling a roller replacement kit on ebay for £22 which is a lot less than buying the complete thing for £87+vat from dealer.

I am trying to determine if the part I am looking for is included in the kit. The part numbers are apparently;

AT 701843406 A 2 pcs.
AT 701843405 B 2 pcs.
AT 701843405 A 2 pcs.
AT 701843436 1 pc.

Does anyone know if this includes the roller I am looking for?

Cheers

Stu

plumb bob
08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
It is a comman problem, the problem is the poor design/build quality.

I had to get the £87 one as I neede the van for work and the door just fell out onto the floor.

I have since bought an LT35 ( new in 2003) and already had all the door handles locks and side door runnes replaced ( side door locks and runners twice)

VW are pretty useless these days, build quality is poor and dealer service is worse, these vans are sold as tough, but frankly they are "NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE"

This will be the last VW I buy. (rant over---for now:zx11: :zx11: )

jonb1kenobi
29-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey guys I too have the same bottom runner problem.

I'm getting so many conflicting stories, some people telling me that I will need the whole chassis cutting out and a new step welding back into place and of course reading your posts you can possibly get the parts just for the runner instead of taking the whole step out.

I would really appreciate any help you can give on this, the correct part numbers etc etc and how you got on replacing the runner.

ITS DRIVING ME MAD !!!!!

Thanks

scoobystu
01-10-2007, 02:20 PM
If it is a T4 then you defo do not need to remove the step.

If I were to do it again I would buy the new runner assembly.

You just need something or someone to support the door while you remove the screws on the runner arm. It is fairly straight forward. To get the new one in you will need to open the door fully and there are a few screws that you need to take out which will allow you to slip the new bearing into.

If you had all the bits and relevant tools you could do it in 20 - 30 minutes.

jonb1kenobi
01-10-2007, 05:52 PM
If it is a T4 then you defo do not need to remove the step.

If I were to do it again I would buy the new runner assembly.

You just need something or someone to support the door while you remove the screws on the runner arm. It is fairly straight forward. To get the new one in you will need to open the door fully and there are a few screws that you need to take out which will allow you to slip the new bearing into.

If you had all the bits and relevant tools you could do it in 20 - 30 minutes.

Phew no cutting out the step then !

Yeah mines a 1993 T4 LWB.
The part numbers in your top post are they all the ones I need for this lower runner ?

If not do you ave them ???

Cheers

scoobystu
04-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Ignore the part numbers in the first post.

Phone your local VW dealer and ask him for a price for the lower door runner. Probably be about £100 with vat.

This is basically the bottom arm with all the rollers attached. You remove the old arm and replace with the new one. Might not be too staight forward tho as the screws that hold the two parts together will undoubtably be corroded.

jonb1kenobi
04-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Ahh my mistake Scoobystu.

My problem lies with the actual runner channel that sits under the step.
The rollers are fine, its my lower runner that has completley rotted away so my door will not glide open.

I'm thinking it is the step now unfortunatly unless anyone has any suggestions for welding a plate onto it.

Thanks anyway

teeforjon
04-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, it is rather an old thread now but hey, I just joined the Forum.
Someone on ebay now has the bottom roller assembly for less than twenty pounds delivered. I just fitted it. Had to drill out the old pivot pin, and swage the new. Then found that removing the step cover [yes, it's a Caravelle] revealed the screws holding the end-stop. Once this is out, getting the new glide into the channel is a doddle. :)
The jack is handy for holding the weight of the door during the process.

sparkyvan
18-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I got full assembly for £27 with the arm and roller assembly. had to also add stainless strip of metal as runner section rusted causing poor opening and closing. New strip of metal just bonded in place and now door runs so smooth, probably better than new. if anyone want photos let me know