PDA

View Full Version : Polo Tickover Flutters

sazzle1
25-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Can anyone help - I recently bought a 2004 (54) Polo 1.2 E (3dr/55bhp) and after its first service I noticed that the tickover started to flutter when the car was stationary, causing a gentle judder and the rev counter to tremor just below 10. Having read one of the user's reviews on Parkers, I've found that he had a similiar problem and that a lot of VWs also have them. Is this something that can be easily fixed, and do VW acknowledge it as a fault? If anyone could give me some advice if they've had a similar problem, I'd be grateful! NB - the judders are at times worse than at others. VW have had it back, changed an ignition coil, but it still hasn't stopped the fluttering!

FreddyTheFrog
31-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Had a similar problem with a Polo 1.4CL R reg ('97) once.
All I did was to take the air intake apart on top of the engine and clean the butterfly valves and inlet chamber. There's two valves, a throttle and a choke in a vertical formation. Dirt gets around the edge of the valves (mainly the lower choke valve) causing erratic tick-over and occational stalling from cold. It's quite an easy job. You'll need something like a 5mm Allen key to remove the throttle housing on the top of the air inlet housing on top of the engine.

You have the 3 cylinder engine. I'm not sure if this is what your experiencing as your car is so new. What grade of fuel are you using? 95RON 2 star is standard. Maybe there's water in the fuel - try using a different petrol station.