PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Golf CL Tdi - Cutting Out Problem

spenhog
24-04-2007, 12:43 PM
In need of a little bit of HELP?

My girlfriends Mk3 Golf Preg 1.9 CL Tdi has started cutting out for some reason, does anyone know why this could be happening.

The car is fine when you start it up but after the car has been running for a few mintues it just cuts out. It tends to cut when the temp gauge gets to its normal temp for the car.
I took the car out the other day and it happened to me, after about 5/10minutes I slowing down at some lights and it just cut out and when I tried to restart it was dead, it did fire at all and it sounded like it was flooded or the battery was flat. All the lights came on apart from the coil light on the dash. I left the car for 2mintues or so and then tried it again and it fired up no problem.
I was told to have a look at the temperature gauge, so I took that out and cleaned it and check every plug to see if the was any dirty connection, but still the car cuts out.

Has anyone got any idea what could be the problem?

I put in Google my problem and came out with a thread from this site from a few years ago which he had a simliar problem and he replaced the relay 109. Could this be the problem?

jonathan5049
26-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi there, if it fires probably not the coil etc. Try the fuel relay, sorry unsure which no. on that model (will show in hand book and about 8gbp from eurocarparts). thanks.

spenhog
01-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi there, if it fires probably not the coil etc. Try the fuel relay, sorry unsure which no. on that model (will show in hand book and about 8gbp from eurocarparts). thanks.

Sorted it!!!!

It was a relay, the one that has 109 stamped on(third from the left on the top row) in black. I have been told the black ones are very unreliable(thinks the ignitions been switched off), the new one is grey and doesn't suffer the same problem.

Cost £13.17 for VW.:D

stowhound
07-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Thank goodness for this forum. My 1996 1.9 tdi estate was cutting out/ dying on me while bombing along dual carriageways more and more and i was getting very anxious, as it was creating some very scary situations. However have read up on here and changed the fuel relay 109 and seems to be OK now thanks for the help.