PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake seized on :-(

the_old_diver
29-09-2009, 06:35 PM
"Duh" time. I was out in the "spare" car Passat 1996 TD about a month ago then parked it in the garage. Today I want to take it for a run - can't even get it out of the garage - it drags it's sorry rear end along the garage floor as the rear brake is seized on. I never leave the handbrake on overnight. Ever. Except that wet day a month ago.

OK I have tried going back and forward a foot or so but the rear end just rises up on the suspension and drags the wheel along the garage floor until I can smell clutch. Fortunately it is the side I can get access to.

What's the best solution guys? OD

martin1810
30-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Have you got rear drums or discs. If you have drums you can jack up that corner and belt the wheel with a big hammer and a block of wood, as long as it's a steel wheel. Hit just outside the wheel nuts. That should free it enough to move it. Don't do this with discs.

the_old_diver
30-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Have you got rear drums or discs. If you have drums you can jack up that corner and belt the wheel with a big hammer and a block of wood, as long as it's a steel wheel. Hit just outside the wheel nuts. That should free it enough to move it. Don't do this with discs.

Thanks Martin,
I've got drums and steel wheels - I'll try tapping 5 or 6 bells out of it and let you all know how I fare. Cheers, OD

the_old_diver
06-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Yup - worked a treat after removing the road wheels. Banged away with a "domestic" claw hammer at different points on the drum and after about 20 bangs it started to "ring" like a bell as the shoes came away and stopped damping the noise.

Thanks. OD

Chipped2
18-02-2010, 09:53 PM
The rear brake shoes on this mode each sit on three round black nylon ? bushes that clip into the pressed steel backing plate allowing the shoes to move slightly when the brakes are applied. Each brake shoe rests on 3 bushes, on at each end and a middle one.
Eventually the surface of these bushes develops a curved wear channel that will not allow the shoes to return easily to the off position. These bushes are not available as a spare part and you will have to order new backing plates and usually new bolts too.

You can either, carefully remove each one and sand off the surface of the bushes to give a smooth flat surface again, half a mill is usually enough or as a temporary measure turn each one through 90 degrees. It simply puts off the evil day when you can order replacement backing plates and either transfer the new bushes to the original plates or as stated, replace the whole plates.

If you have a small lathe and can turn nylon bar it is possible to make new ones securing with stainless spring star washers. Only attempt if confident & competent !

the_old_diver
21-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Chipped2 - thank you for that. As you will see in the post above, I hit the drum with a hammer in the time-honoured manner and that sorted it on this occasion; if it recurs I will try your method. OD