PDA

View Full Version : Question Passat boot lid

adam786
29-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Hi to all, Ive just fitted a warning triangle in the boot lid of my B6 Passat and now when i open the boot it just creeps open about 8-10 inches, can the boot lid be adjusted to take into account the load of the warning triangle?:confused:

Regards Adam786

gamichea
29-09-2009, 08:14 AM
My B6 has had a a boot lid stowed warning triangle from new (3+ years) and generally the rate of opening is fine. The rate is affected by a number of things such as the ambient temperature and standing water including overnight condensation and how tired the hydraulic struts have become.

IIRC there are a number of threads on this subject you can search for.

mikecb1
29-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Adam786

I think you must have a tired gas strut. I fitted a warning triangle to my 56 plate Sport, and the lid still pops right up, even when the weather is cold.

Mike

gingernut352000
29-09-2009, 07:28 PM
mine is definately temperature dependent in the south of france this year it was zippy but now at home it only does an inch or two in the mornings.

patomlin76
01-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I also have a boot-lid query, which I believe to be temperature related. On warm or hot days the boot zips open perfectly, however when it's cold or in the mornings it barely opens.

The car is 4 years old - will this be a new gas strut, in which case how much am I looking at for replacement, or is it just the fact that when cold no-ones boot lid will open with much force?

thanks!