PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt Change - Audi A4 2004 TDI SE (130)

jon123
24-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi all,

I have just bought a used 2004 Audi A4 TDI SE (130)... The car has done 82K & I've booked it in for a cambelt change with a main dealer. The dealer says that the belt change includes the belt & 1 tensioner. However if any other item needs to be changed I will be advised at the time.

Can I ask, what does a complete timing belt kit consist of & is it worth getting the whole kit replaced at the time?

Thanks

Col
24-04-2007, 12:13 PM
In addition, you should most definitely have the water pump changed as a precaution as they are prone to failure.

RickT
24-04-2007, 01:43 PM
ENSURE THE WATER PUMP IS CHANGED!!!

Ensure the water pump is changed when you get the cam belt done.. this is a common failure if not changed when the cambelt is replaced.

It will only take an extra 10mins to fit while the car is having the cam belt changed.. and cost £35.

If you dont do it you will end up having to pay for the full front end taken off again just for a pump.

HAVE A READ OF MY THREAD WHEN MY WATER PUMP FAILED. - (Its a long thread but worth a read and a change.. theres some photos to the end of the thread which will show you what i mean..)

PS... mine failed 50k miles after the cambelt was replaced. but i have know them to of failed 5k after...

SEE LINK

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5913

ALSO..

BELOW ARE THE PARTS I ORDERED WHEN I DID MY WATER PUMP... (I DID THE CAM-BELT WHILE THE CAR WAS IN BITS... _

I have ordered all OEM parts...

Cam-belt kit with tensioners and rollers.. OEM £85 (Non OEM £77)

Water pump (with addtional extras) OEM £35 (Non OEM £31)

new V-belt while we are in that area. OEM £16.57 (non OEM £14.00)

and while im at it.. Oil and air filter.. About £7 more for both OEM

The NON OEM parts where at trade price... The OEM parts are at retail price... so when i go in to get the OEM parts i will be able to only get 10% off at Audi.. makes a differance when spending a few quid tho!!

ALSO... all prices + VAT...

RickT

RickT
24-04-2007, 01:55 PM
And here are the pictures of the water pump which caused all this hassle..!!

RicKT

Lex Luthor
24-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Just to chip in here :

I changed the cambelt on my sons PD130 at 126K over the weekend.

The old belt was like new and the tensioners, roller and pump, which were all changed , were in fine fettle.

To make life easier I pulled the top and bottom rad hoses to allow the front to be swung out at about 45 degrees, and would recommend this to anyone.

The crank ribbed belt pully bolts are a pain, too soft and too tight. Make sure you have a really good quality 6mm key else you will chew them. I was left with one that I do not think I will get out again.....

Other than that, it was a breeze.....

jon123
26-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks for that guys....

I've just phoned the dealer & have been advised that the cambelt kit consists of belt, roller & tensioner... I asked about the water pump & was advised that this particular model does not need it changing, but after reading the thread, I've decided to get it changed anyway.

Also ordered the V-belt AKA ribbed belt....

Thanks

Jon