PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 Fault Diagnosis Help...

biker_billy
27-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Hiya,

I've got a 2003 Audi A6 1.8t (petrol), AWT engine. About a year ago it developed a mis fire, along with the engine management light illuminating. The AA came out, and diagnosed the fault as a coil pack failure - so I replaced that coil, and the other 3. Everything was fine.

Fast forward to the past couple of weeks - the engine management light has come on again - took it to a local garage (useless place, now I know) and they said that it was an 'unknown fault' - cleared the memory, and its back (no suprise). A mate of mine works for the AA, and he plugged his computer into it, and the following came up:

Fault code P0353, Ignition coil C, Primary/Secondary Circuits.

A bit of digging on the internet shows it might be a circuit malfunction, and the DTC (whatever that is?) is 16737.

He cleared the code - checked the plug gaps (all ok), and all the coil pack connectors (all ok). The light then came back on.

The car drives fine - no misfiring, fuel consumption is the same, starts and runs great. The problem is I don't really understand what the fault is - would anyone on here be able to suggest what it might be, and how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Biker_billy.

towcestervag
27-09-2009, 10:51 PM
just looked at elsa workshop manual and this fault code isnt listed
you can check wiring from ecu to coils
also check injectors

vdubgolf
28-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Just found this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3869028

* VW DTC 16737 (P0353) - Ignition Coil (C) Cylinder 3 Primary / Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Might be of some help, let us know how you get on.

biker_billy
28-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll think I'll give the wiring a good check over, on the weekend to see if I can find the fault.

Just a question tho - will I need to clear the fault codes to clear the engine management light on the dash? - Or will it turn itself off when the fault disappears?

Thanks,

BB

vdubgolf
30-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I am pretty sure the engine management light will go out when you find and cure the fault, however the fault code will stay stored in memory until cleared.