PDA

View Full Version : It's still early but....

eob
27-09-2009, 05:33 PM
...how do you think that the CC will perform sales-wise?

I was reading a thread on the VWVortex forum (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4579865) discussing the future of the CC and likening it to the Karmann Ghia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmann_Ghia)which sold well at first but never really became a success but, let's be honest, for those who could not afford a Porsche 356, it was a good looking car.

"Volkswagen has ambitions of selling 300,000 units over a period of seven years. The company expects that 60% of these sales (about 26,000 units per year) will come from the US market." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Passat_CC#Market)
Sales have been good for the CC to begin with but how many do you see day to day?

Personally, I think that there may be some weight to the argument because in the UK, I think that people who want large 4 door saloons are hung up about the 4 seat issue. That's certainly what everyone said to me, "but it's only got four seats!:confused:", But then I tell them, I havn't had 5 people in my car for about 15 years and even then it was 18 year old spotty oiks just driving round in circles looking for burds.

Take the Vauxhall Signum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Signum). All right, it was a bogging looking car but it only had 4 seats, and it didn't sell, well, at all really!

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the CC isn't a sales success, it means that I'm driving around in something a bit special for the next three years, which also happens to look stunning. ;)

What are your thoughts?

JSH
27-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Going by its looks it deserves to be a success,
Interestingly she who must be obey'd said when sitting in one for the first time " Oh dear its just like our Passat, I was expecting something special!".
I wonder how many other non interested in cars think that!
The other fly in the ointment I can see is peoples obsession with the badge on the bonnet BMW Audi etc

I would still sell a vital organ to see one on my drive every morning!

Regards John

eob
27-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Interestingly she who must be obey'd said when sitting in one for the first time " Oh dear its just like our Passat, I was expecting something special!".
I wonder how many other non interested in cars think that!
The other fly in the ointment I can see is peoples obsession with the badge on the bonnet BMW Audi etc

X2

My wife hated our saloon. She never got on with the handbrake and thought that the car was dull compared to the 5 Series. When I brought it home, her lack of comments and the look on her face said a lot.:biglaugh: Eventually she said "It's different from what I expected!" Needless to say she now thinks that it has kerb appeal and looks good on our drive.

I had ordered it 9 weeks in advance for the company car and everyone kept asking what I was getting then wondering why I would choose it over a 3 series.
There was quite a crowd having a look when the transporter delivered it and a queue for the keys. My boss actually said "Christ, I thought you'd ordered a Merc!":biglaugh:

SimonN
28-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I've had my '58 since Tuesday and love it.
It'll be my car for a good few years and completely agree regarding the four seats - I don't think I ever had 5 people in either one of my two previous passats.

Most 'blokes' in the office agree to that also. Interetsingly it's the rear space they seem most concerned about but are really surprised how much room there is in the back. Huge boot, very understated and yet 'cool' lines. Ticks all the boxes for a family man who wants something a little more ;)

I couldn't be happier and the 510 stereo is awesome too.

fatgattaca
17-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I have just picked up a 58 plate Passat CC in silver with Roof, cruise, park assist. PX'd a BMW 520 petrol which was very nice but nondescript compared to the CC.

Only done the first 500 miles but very impressed. Ace motorway cruiser and is very comfortable with 4 passengers. Other posters comments are correct regarding 5 seats, when was the last time anyone had 5 people in their car? It deserves to be a Sales success but too many car buyers are not clever (or cool) enough to consider the style and the substance of the car.

After a week of owning it, Still feels very special when you walk up and jump in it!!!!

eob
17-10-2009, 07:27 PM
After a week of owning it, Still feels very special when you walk up and jump in it!!!!

Totally agree with you.
I had it for four days before I went away for four weeks. I had a guy prattling on about his RX7 the whole time and I couldn't wait to get back to it. Only got back on Wednesday and I've been taking every little excuse to take it out.
My last car was a Passat Saloon. It was a great car but I had no passion for it. When I looked at it I was like "Meh", whereas now I'm like "Ohhh!" :D