PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Door Strip

PassSPORT
27-09-2009, 02:30 PM
:mad:
The plastic exterior door strips which are meant to be black are pi55ing me of. The car still cleans up and shines really well. The problem is the door strips are faded white. Why do VW use so much of this bloody plastic all over their cars? Even the recent golfs look crap with all this black plastic up the back bumper and along the side skirts etc, the same as my Passat. My question is where can u get new door strips, can u paint the old ones and how do u get them off. There is no info on this anywhere.:aargh4:

30-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I felt the same about the door strips on the side of my car, started moaning about it to the wife after i had washed the car. She walked of as expected but came back with baby oil and a rag. I thought whats going on here (something kinky i hope lol). She polished 1 strip with baby oil and it looked like new. You do have to do it a few times over a period of a month and dont put to much on but it realy does work a treat. Hope this helps. I did see a passat with all the plastic bits colour coded the other week and it did look very good.

scotty33
01-10-2009, 11:12 PM
They are approx £10 each from the dealer, they are stuck on with double sided sticky tape, which is applied to the new ones ready to install. The trick is prising the old ones off without damaging the paint, and then peeling off the remains of the old stuff. A 'toffee wheel' is good for this.
Another option, is to warm the trims up with a paint stripping gun. The trick is to warm the plastic up enough to 'revive' it without melting. Works on bumpers etc too.

PassSPORT
02-10-2009, 12:29 AM
They are approx £10 each from the dealer, they are stuck on with double sided sticky tape, which is applied to the new ones ready to install. The trick is prising the old ones off without damaging the paint, and then peeling off the remains of the old stuff. A 'toffee wheel' is good for this.
Another option, is to warm the trims up with a paint stripping gun. The trick is to warm the plastic up enough to 'revive' it without melting. Works on bumpers etc too.

I priced the strips yesterday from the dealer.:( £50 +vat each for the front, and £38 +vat each for the back.:mad:
Thats £200 for 4 bits of crappy plastic:aargh4:
What is a TOFFEE WHEEL like?

snapdragon
02-10-2009, 08:42 AM
I priced the strips yesterday from the dealer.:( £50 +vat each for the front, and £38 +vat each for the back.:mad:

Yes, I had to get a new chrome and pre-primed front one and it was nearly this much (a couple of years ago)

Hex69
02-10-2009, 09:21 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dIdMcuJlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/AES-Industries-51823-Eraser-Pad/dp/B0020HQRQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1254471606&sr=1-1

Norman vwp
02-10-2009, 09:24 AM

It's called (RIP OFF THE CUSTOMERS)VW are not on there own it really annoys me with spare parts for cars.
I have just got rid of a Lexus and the brake master cylinder/booster packed up and they are non repairable common fault so should have been a recall and I contacted Lexus for some help with the bill and they did not want to know.

£2000.00 plus fitting yes thats what it cost me because it was also the ABS unit combined so contacted Lexus again and said I was selling the car never to buy a Lexus again and the reply was NO REPLY.:zx11:

vwtdi130pd
02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
try to clean them up with a small amount of clean ngine oil this works well for me and is a lot cheaper than £200

vwtdi130pd
02-10-2009, 09:47 AM
engine oil

PassSPORT
02-10-2009, 05:30 PM
try to clean them up with a small amount of clean ngine oil this works well for me and is a lot cheaper than £200

Ive used diesel and oil, but it quickly dryes and goes white again

scotty33
02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Ive used diesel and oil, but it quickly dryes and goes white again

The hot air gun treatment is 'relatively permanent' and not much slower than rubbing on any of these 'miracle cures'

Can't explain the price, A mate got mine trade and they were less than £7? mine have no chrome

andy pen
04-10-2009, 10:00 AM
I know this sounds strange but it dose work PEANUT BUTTER.Yes smooth peanut butter lasts better than any back to black stuff I have used Give it a try. I did and it works a treat