PDA

View Full Version : £15,000 new scirocco?

fellowsuk
26-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Has anyone bought a car from motorprovider.co.uk? They had got the 1.4 scirocco advertised for just over 15 grand. We phoned this morning but said they had 4 in and all went in 2 days. Do you think this was real? The bloke I spoke to offered me a 140 tdi in viper green (colour we want) gt pack satnav parksensors for 20k brand new ,this was also tempting.

I don't suppose anyone knows of anymore 15k scirocco's??

dataconn
11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
17k new was cheapest i could find... base petrol model no options.

golf_bhoy87
07-04-2010, 11:09 PM
you'll struggle to get anything under 17/18k mate....if u go onto pistonheads you'll see most 2nd hand 1s are actually more expensive than a new 1....

my dad just got a 1.4tsi for around 18k and that was with a discount because its his 4th car from the dealer and coz they c0cked up on the list price on their website! lol

besides stay clear of a diesel scirocco....its a sports coupé....deserves a petrol engine mate!

maisbitt
08-04-2010, 08:29 AM
GolfBhoy: So you think a 1.4TSI Scirocco is better than a diesel in all cases?

The 170TDI will wipe the floor with the 1.4TSI. Same 0-60 time, but once moving, the TDI will hammer the 1.4TSI with its far greater torque band.

The only reason the 170TDI doesn't outdo the 1.4TSI on 0-60 is due to all that torque and not enough grip to put it down. You can see this when you look at the Audi TT TDI's 0 - 60 time of 7.5 seconds - having quattro as standard gives it the extra grip to use all that torque from a standstill.

Maybe a sports coupe deserves more than a 1.4 engine.:D

I don't think anyone is/was selling a Scirocco of any incarnation for £15K unless it was possibly an import of the 122ps version of the 1.4TSI which doesn't come with ACC as standard, and probably compromises on a lot of other equipment as the UK model comes better equipped than most european models as standard (ACC, 510 radio unit and climatronic are all options on all models in most of Europe)

NickPicks
08-04-2010, 08:47 AM
£15k sounds like a classic bait-and-switch. Advertise one cheaply, then when people phone up say "its sold, but I've got this lovely £20k one"

golf_bhoy87
08-04-2010, 08:39 PM
GolfBhoy: So you think a 1.4TSI Scirocco is better than a diesel in all cases?

The 170TDI will wipe the floor with the 1.4TSI. Same 0-60 time, but once moving, the TDI will hammer the 1.4TSI with its far greater torque band.

The only reason the 170TDI doesn't outdo the 1.4TSI on 0-60 is due to all that torque and not enough grip to put it down. You can see this when you look at the Audi TT TDI's 0 - 60 time of 7.5 seconds - having quattro as standard gives it the extra grip to use all that torque from a standstill.

Maybe a sports coupe deserves more than a 1.4 engine.:D

I don't think anyone is/was selling a Scirocco of any incarnation for £15K unless it was possibly an import of the 122ps version of the 1.4TSI which doesn't come with ACC as standard, and probably compromises on a lot of other equipment as the UK model comes better equipped than most european models as standard (ACC, 510 radio unit and climatronic are all options on all models in most of Europe)

well fair point if you're getting a diesel then a 170PS, but as far as I know VW aren't bringing out a 4motion version of the scircocco, unless I'm mistaken....
158PS from a 1.4 engine is good....the TDI scirocco got a crap review compared to the TSI....
I think people put too much enphasis though on bhp and not enough on torque, u see all the manufacturers bragging about it but they fail too mention torque

maisbitt
09-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Car journalists don't like diesels, because thay all drive company cars and the cost of fuel isn't a bother to them.

They're also hung up on the way diesels used to be. Modern Diesels are great, and VAG make some of the best out there. They've got a narrower power band than a petrol (generally 1800 - 4500rpm), but when you drive them properly, you know how to be in that power band when you need some extra poke.

If you want to be quick off the mark in a Diesel, you have to be more aware of your engine speeds - try and floor a diesel in 4th while doing 1200rpm and nothing will happen, but put your foot down at 2000rpm in a 170TDI and the shove is nearly as much as you'll get in a 2.0TSI.

You can hammer the 170TDI all day and still average 44-48mpg, how is that not great driving?

RickT
06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201043371607335/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/scirocco/make/volkswagen/radius/1501/postcode/rg279jq/page/1/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

£15,900 - Prices have dropped in the last 6 months.....

Jacktherat
12-11-2010, 10:16 AM
The cynic in me would say that 'cheap' ones are probably high milers or, more realistically, they never existed in the first place.

In the past I've made enquiries on a couple of VW and Audi 'just in' examples, only to be told that they'd just been sold that same day..............but it gets you talking to a salesman who'll do everything to keep you on the phone or in the showroom!:D

benzo_26
13-11-2010, 01:51 PM
The best price I could find for the base model with meallic paint was £16800 ish, on a well known broker site.