PDA

View Full Version : Norton Pah!

JSH
25-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi
Yesterday my Daughter came to me saying that there was something wrong with her laptop, Knowing she uses Pirate Bay I though straight way Virus. So let Norton do a scan, It started and then froze. then a message windows has to close down. so started it again in safe mode and it froze again. I contacted Norton and their person in Bombay or Bradford or somewhere, remotely took control of the PC. After several attempts at running a scan they decided it was a virus and passed me on to their virus removal team. The voice at the other end announced that everything will be fine If I pay £69.99 for them to remove the virus. I pointed out that I was allready paying them my subscription not to get the virus in the first place. I will not be renewing my subscription!#

John

STEWY L
25-09-2009, 04:52 PM
download a removal tool,free,
and then download avast,again free
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
regards,
stewy.

STEWY L
25-09-2009, 04:59 PM
here's where you may get the removal tool,
http://www.freewarefiles.com/Norton-Removal-Tool-XP-Vista_program_15892.html
regards,
stewy.

JSH
25-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Many Thanks Stewy L

Thank you for the advice and link to remove Norton.

Regards John

Panzerdriver
25-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Try AVG for anti virus (free download) and Zonealarm firewall (again free download both very good. :D

Panzerdriver
25-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Norton also slows down your computer when shutting down and starting up.
I had it loaded on my desk top when i bought it from PC World worked fine for 3 months then would not up date at all then i couldn't get it to work at all. I had paid for a full years subscription but what a load of crap.

Deleted after no reply from numerous emails to Norton what a bunch of wasters, take your money very quickly but poor customer relations.

Went back to old faithful AVG and not a problem.

JSH
26-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Try AVG for anti virus (free download) and Zonealarm firewall (again free download both very good. :D

Thanks for the tip on Zonealarm I have never heard of it before. Is it a conspiracy that everything to buy that runs Microsoft appears to be infested with Norton ?

Im going to Meadowhall this afternoon to get a Mac book to replace a Microsoft laptop that was lost in a fire. It will be interesting to hear what Apple recommend for security.

John

ImCammers
27-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the tip on Zonealarm I have never heard of it before. Is it a conspiracy that everything to buy that runs Microsoft appears to be infested with Norton ?

Im going to Meadowhall this afternoon to get a Mac book to replace a Microsoft laptop that was lost in a fire. It will be interesting to hear what Apple recommend for security.

John

If you've ever owned an Apple Product you will know they are solid as a rock! My Ipod is 5 years old its been dropped soo many times and it still works, its still kicking.

JSH
28-09-2009, 10:21 AM
If you've ever owned an Apple Product you will know they are solid as a rock! My Ipod is 5 years old its been dropped soo many times and it still works, its still kicking.

I could'nt agree more there's are certain tactile pleasure when using Apple products. The only Apple product that I feel didnt live up to expectation is the Iphone, But I also have Ipods With one deserves plinthing like the Top Gear Toyota Hiace, with the treatment its had and still it goes on working!
I went and got a Macbook pro on saturday, suprisingly the sales assistant recomended Norton when asked about what safety software to use. However I ignored his recomendation and downloaded AVG on to it.
Thanks for the vairious links and advice Guys
John

Clinterous
28-09-2009, 02:18 PM
One can purchase the full suite from Kaspersky for £15.

And something I found recently - Superantispyware - is free and works well at picking up what Kaspersky missed. All be it taking an extreme view on cookies.