PDA

View Full Version : Servicing my GOLF mk4

tixy
23-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I have a 2001 golf 1.6 se and the time has come to service it
i got a quote from the vw garage saying about £150 for the minor service its due
but yesterday while i was braking the ABS light went on and has stayed on, the garage said this is likely due to worn brake pads and it'll cost another £130

wow!
is there anyway to get that done cheaper?
i also wanted a couple of other things done, my Left electric mirror heater isnt working, and the EM knob when set to RIGHT position controls both my mirrors now for some reason.
Will they charge an arm and a leg for them as well

Does anyone know a cheaper alternative that won't bankrupt me?
thanks a million.

mkpp786
23-04-2007, 07:34 PM
If you really want to get your service done from a VW dealership (maybe you want to keep the FULL VW history going) then get it done from them, although it willl cost you.

Alternatively, get the other small jobs done (brake pads etc) and then go to vw for the actuall service, its something one of mates done just before he sold his car, this way he gets the VW service, but replacing the parts and other things were done at a smaller cost. It is a longer process, but i guess you can save.

Im sure some of the other people on here can provide more info!

The Muts Nuts
23-04-2007, 08:42 PM
I would definately advise you to have it fully VW/main dealer serviced for warranty ect but if your competent with the tools do the pads yourself as £130 for that is daylight robbery, hell, bring your car to me and i'll do them for £50!!!

Steve MK4 TDI
23-04-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a 2001 golf 1.6 se and the time has come to service it
i got a quote from the vw garage saying about £150 for the minor service its due
but yesterday while i was braking the ABS light went on and has stayed on, the garage said this is likely due to worn brake pads and it'll cost another £130

wow!
is there anyway to get that done cheaper?
i also wanted a couple of other things done, my Left electric mirror heater isnt working, and the EM knob when set to RIGHT position controls both my mirrors now for some reason.
Will they charge an arm and a leg for them as well

Does anyone know a cheaper alternative that won't bankrupt me?
thanks a million.

Depends how long your planning on keeping the car for? as to whether to service yourself, private garage, or dealer. I do it myself and bought it from a guy who did his own. but mine is a 98.
The right electric mirror knob is supposed to operate both, irritating but true. just have to adjust right first then left.

if you choose to do it yourself and save real money keep reciepts.
at 2001 i don't think people will expect you to continue to use main dealer for servicing? don't know what others think?

The Muts Nuts
23-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Personally i would rather see the service history if you had 2 side by side if you know what i mean but your right, with it being a 2001 it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Best advice i can give is pally up with a friend 'in the know' and see if you can get it done cheaply. I had mine serviced by Honda and it cost me £75, basically cost for the parts and oil.

guyg
23-04-2007, 09:33 PM
In the past, I have done all the ancillary stuff like pads and things between services so the dealers can't find anything else to charge for while the car's in for it's book to get stamped. I even top up the washer fluid as otherwise the cheeky buggers top it up with their £5/litre VAG stuff.

I changed the front disks and pads on my 2001 Passat for £60, I think the pads were £22 for the set.

I started doing my own servicing on my last car [A6] when it got to 100k, but as punters are buying cars with 120k+ on the clock it's probably worth having a stamped book a bit longer if you intend to sell the car on again.

I tend to buy cars around 4yrs old with 60k and run them into the ground as this is the most financially efficient for me, so I'm not too bothered about resale value.

My Passat has reached 105k but is still worth 4-5k so I might have it serviced a bit longer by the dealers...

Cheers

Guy

Boardboy
23-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I try and do all my own stuff. My last Golf I put in for a service which they completed and advised me about other work which totalled £600. I brought the parts and did it all for £150! However you do need that booked stamped if you plan on selling your pride and joy later.
It's worth giving the car a once over before it goes in for a service and try and do things like brake pads, discs etc.

Boardboy

tixy
23-04-2007, 11:40 PM
thanks guys

i really appreciate the advice (especially about the washer fluid ;))
i'll try and get the pads sorted out by some next garage, and then ask VW to take that blasted ABS light off. Actually the ABS itself i've noticed has disengaged (i.e. i can now skid!) - is that normal for 'worn pads' or do you think theres a deeper problem?

As for fixing the electric mirrors, hmmm. Dunno if i'd trust some next guy taking apart my mirrors and doors. Thats minor anyway, i'll see what VW will charge.

I do intend to keep the car for a while longer but may sell it off in a year or two so i'd like the book stamped, on balance.

So basically your advice is: get the brakes sorted, top up the washer fluid, then give it into VW and hope for the best?

cheers

s0niX
23-04-2007, 11:57 PM
You said when you try move one mirroe both mirrors move.. well my polo does the same, and the golf before the polo did the same.. i thought this was normal??

guyg
24-04-2007, 12:23 AM
You said when you try move one mirroe both mirrors move.. well my polo does the same, and the golf before the polo did the same.. i thought this was normal??

This got me too, but is standard behaviour; the idea is you adjust the right first [although both move], then adjust the left. Then, if you want to adjust the view up/down etc, the mirrors move in unison.

It irritates the hell out of me!

Cheers

Guy