PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant vs A5 Sportback

Bratty
24-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I had alook round a couple of A5 sportbacks today and I could not see what all the fuss is about? It has really bad headroom in the back, its boot is not as practical as an Avant and it just looks odd (too long)! It is neither a sports coupe or a load lugger, is it just a design exercise by Audi. I suppose if you are divorced and have the kids for the weekend it is easier to let them be sick at the side of the road apart from that my vote goes to A4 Avant S-Line. (Not as wierd looking as the Porsche panamerica I also took a look at today though!!! YUK)

Dunk

mkc
24-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Same goes for the Passat CC........doesnt help with the 2+2 config either

Plife
24-09-2009, 03:45 PM
It's all down to personal taste. I like the look of the sportback from the pictures I have seen, haven't seen one in the flesh so don't know if that would change my opinion. I can see the advantages for someone that doesn't want an estate, but needs more boot room that the A4 saloon. I struggle to get all I need in the boot for 2 kids!!

My screaming at why would you buy that is currently firmly aimed at the BMW X6!!

Bratty
24-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I must admit I had convinced myself it was nice from the pictures, but when you get the sportback up against a normal A5 its lines just do not gel.
But as you say personal choice.

Dunk

ScottyUK
24-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Are A5 Sportbacks at the dealers already? :bigeyes:

I didn't think they'd started manufacture!

avant_adam
24-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I thought it looked good in the pictures but not good enough to justify the hefty premium for what is essential a hatchback saloon.

Its not so many years ago that hatchbacks were the mainstay of Vauxhall and Fords business with the Cavalier / Vectra and the Sierra / Mondeo. It is risible that they market it as a "four door coupe" that is a lifestyle choice i.e. premium pricetag. Ditto the Passat CC.

I did have a soft spot for the Merc CLS (the four door E-class coupe thing) but think it looks a bit old hat now.

I'm sure that the A5 sportback (or whatever its called) will make Audi a stack of cash from what must have been a pretty simple engineering job relative to the usual expense of developing a new model. Good luck to them.

onemanparty
24-09-2009, 04:22 PM

I have seen one or two 59 Plate A5 Sportbacks cars about in MK (Audi UK Cars) - So must be now or very soon

avant_adam
24-09-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm guessing somebody has been to the Frankfurt motorshow... to get up close with the A5 and the Panamerica is not your usual day car shopping!

Bratty
24-09-2009, 04:35 PM
There are loads of sportbacks at my local dealer in Germany, and the panamerica was parked at macdoofs.

Dunk

avant_adam
24-09-2009, 10:48 PM
There are loads of sportbacks at my local dealer in Germany, and the panamerica was parked at macdoofs.

Dunk

My bad.

I need to get out more!

Bratty
24-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Thing is I am in the middle of boringsville it is not even as if its exotic, put it down to the RHD conversion for the UK Market.

Dunk

mkc
25-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Anybody actually spec'd a A5 Sportback yet on the Audi site. A bit sad, because im not in the market for one (yet)but I took a look at the Price and Spec PDF and they are not actually "that" expensive. I was expecting a fair bit extra for the Sportback compared to the A5 Coupe but they come in cheaper or the same price and about the same price as a A4 with a few options. They are now on my company car list so who knows in a few years time I might take a look. I like them.

Like an A4 but lower to the ground even on the entry model, lower again with the S Line, wider and more curvy! They look nice and I rarely have people in the car so the space in the back and the 2+2 config wont be an issue. Leather as standard on the SE and up. People are moaning about the reason for this in the Audi model list but Merc did it and VW have the Passat CC. I dont see the need for SmartCars or people driving to work in a Range Rover all on their own, people will buy them.

Jop
25-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I just specced one up... its more than I got.

I was a bit surprised to see that quattro is only available on the stronic boxes.
I like manual and i like quattro. So no A5 Sportback for me.

ScottyUK
25-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I think it works out cheaper than my A4 but that's coz you can't add privacy glass, rear blinds, power hatch, rear side airbags etc plus of course you can't (yet) have the manual quattro so all in all no good for me either.... which is a relief! :D

Bratty
26-09-2009, 11:09 PM
The A5 Sportback IS available in Germany with Manual gearbox and Quattro, 211ps Petrol and a couple of Diesels. So unless Audi UK are going completely mad they will probably follow suit when they have sorted out there act. Can not imagine that the RHD conversion would affect the fitment of a manual gearbag as it is fairly similar to the "proper" coupe.

Dunk

onemanparty
02-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Looked round an A5 Sportback today (Parked in a car park in MK)- Very good looking car and I would not compare with an A4 Avant.

The A5 is a very different beast

ScottyUK
02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
In what way? As an Avant purchaser I would have seriously looked at one had the options and engines/gearbox combinations been acceptable.

andyrp
02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
The levels of equipment seems to be quite poor in comparison to the A4 SE or the A6 SE with many items which are standard on those models being cost options on the A5 sportback. I got quite excited when it came out as I am changing jobs soon and will have a better car scheme to play with which would easily accomodate the A5 sportback but think I will be sticking with the A6 Le Mans now.

Andy