PDA

View Full Version : Please Help passat mark 5 , wont turn over , wen jump start, lights dont work

Al_Killya
22-09-2009, 03:58 PM
was wondering if anyone could help cant get 2 my garage for 2 weeks

a few days ago the battery light came on , in the dashbord whilst driving along

then this morning it was little slow to turn over , and as i was driving headlight were a bit dim ,then abs light came on then airbag light

when i next went 2 start it, wouldnt turn over

and after jump start , no lights working , brake lights etc dash board ;ights dim wen you apply brakes ,

obviosly dangerous 2 drive, but any ideas wat it would be

Hex69
22-09-2009, 04:17 PM
was wondering if anyone could help cant get 2 my garage for 2 weeks

a few days ago the battery light came on , in the dashbord whilst driving along

then this morning it was little slow to turn over , and as i was driving headlight were a bit dim ,then abs light came on then airbag light

when i next went 2 start it, wouldnt turn over

and after jump start , no lights working , brake lights etc dash board ;ights dim wen you apply brakes ,

obviosly dangerous 2 drive, but any ideas wat it would be

Petrol or diesel?

Obvious answer would be that the alternator has failed, or its drive belt.

Have a look in the engine compartment to see if the belt is still connected.

Sam
22-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Check all the fuses and get a code scan done.

Al_Killya
22-09-2009, 05:23 PM
thanks for your quick reply

yeah i was thinking alternater ,

just thought id ask you guys here , as im not really that knowledgeable only thing i do myself is

service the vechicle and change brakes wen need doing

oh yea its a tdi and drive belt is still attached

everything seems 2 be goin wrong for me at the minute , washing machine ,m fridge etc

brassic

OpenRoad
04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Did you manage to resolve the problem?
As well as the alternator it could be that the battery has reached the end of its servicable life.
If uncertain call into Halfords, Quick Fit or the like and ask them to test the battery and report on its condition. The important factor is the Off load and on-load voltages.
Off load you should get 12.6V DC
On Load, around 11.8V DC
If the On load voltage drops below 11.5V DC (When the battery has been fully charged) the battery is ready for the recycle bin.
Be wary though, most of these fast-fit enterprises will happily sell you a new battery even if the existing one has ample of life left in it.

Hope this is of help.

abucksdiver
05-10-2009, 02:38 PM
then abs light came on then airbag light

I'm guessing that either the battery or alternator have had it... the lights are likely to be "Low Voltage" warnings from half the sensors on the car. (I had something similar recently, when I accidentally flattened the battery!)

Sort the cause (alternator or Battery) then get the codes read and reset...

Andrew