PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a B6

Tel254
22-09-2009, 03:59 PM
I've owned two Passat Estate TDI's from new and my latest B5 is coming up for 130K. I'm thinking of replacing it with a B6 140BHP TDI estate and have the following questions:

1. I was thinking of a DSG, but it sounds to me as if I could be looking at problems from what I'm seeing on the forum. I do over 20K miles per year. An auto is not essential - I just fancied one.

2. Are the water leak/wiring problems in the footwell resolved in the B6. I had to have a fair bit of remedial work on my B5 due to leaks from the pollen filter housing.

3. I have read about the problems with the dual mass flywheel. Haven't had any problems with my other Passats - Have I just been lucky?

4. I don't like the sound of the electronic parking brake on the B6 .. any comments

5. Anything else to watch for..... is the B6 better than the previous models?

6. How about economy. I'm getting 48 to 51 from my B5 on a run.

Thanks in advance

T

eob
22-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I had a 57 plate B6 for two years over 28,000 miles, in my experience:

1. I had a manual, but I wanted DSG in my CC but to be honest I'm glad I didn't get it. Seems like a good toy but would probably spend 95% of the time in D.

2. My car never exibited any issues with water ingress and it sat outside...in Scotland.

3. No problems with clutch or flywheel.

4. Once you learn how to deal with it it is a joy. Thing to remember is that your door must be properly closed, seat belt on and (the one that got me) you must depress the clutch completely. Auto hold on the CC is fantastic.

5. There are the usual recalls for fuel pump, you can find details in the forum. My car had the emissions light (the one that looks like a wee helicopter) come on intermitantly but I usually cleared it by giving the car a damn good thrashing.

6. Fantastic. My 140 regularly returned high 40/low 50s on my daily commute (mostly mway). A tank would last around 700 miles comfortably. When driven like a nun, I could see MPG figures in the 60s.

I had the SE trim with auto wipers/lights and parking sensors. Could have really done with climate control to make it feel that wee bit more special. If you can, you must get an RCD/RSN 510 unit off eBay. It is great.

All in all a fantastic car. I was sad when it went back but I had no worries about repalcing it with a CC.

Hope this helps and any other questions please feel free to ask.

gazza007
22-09-2009, 07:57 PM
1. Love the DSG would never go back.
2. No issues
3. No issues
4. Love it with the auto hold, fab idea.
5. 1st Passat but after Seat Alhambra convinced me to stay with VAG car, def want a CC now.
6. Mixed driving, always ave 43ish, get about 48-50 on trips to GF's on Solway firth driving about 80.
Good luck on your purchase.

binnieg
22-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi,

Just completed 75K in my B6 56 plate Estate. Engine is the 1.9 105php which has been great. Regularly average between 48 - 53mpg on my 40 mile (each way) commute on rural west Highland roads making max legal progress. Hypermiling on a 160m mile run on rural roads has seen 61mpg overall.
Very pleased overall with it.

The Autohold takes a bit of getting used to. But its great once mastered.

Getting my new B6 next week, 170bhp Highline, so should be interesting how economy compares.

No problems whatsoever mechanically, had a couple of recalls while in for a Service. I fact the only issue I've had in 75K is my spare key loosing its coding!

Great practical family car. I got a Winter Pack factory fitted and wouldn't be without it now (Heated Seats, Windscreen and Washer Jets). Keeping windscreen clear etc at -10 is a real bonus here in the wilds of Scotland.

Gordon

Tel254
23-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comprehensive answers. Looks like I'll be going for my 3rd Passat then. I'm probably going to squeeze a few more miles out of the B5 and then make the change.
T

Pezza
23-09-2009, 08:25 AM
had my B6 140 sport after my B5.5 130Tdi was written off. The B6 is bigger than the B5.5 I had to get wider Thule roof bars, it also feels more responsive and eager to get on. Sport version has harder suspension. I was a bit concerned about upgrading to a B6 after all the "B5.5 is much better build quality etc then the new version" but looking back those comments were all from B5.5 owners!

90,000 miles still drives like new, I'm almost glad the B5.5 was written off... except for the £500 I'm still out of pocket as the bloke that hit me can't be traced:aargh4:!

joey1002
23-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I have had my B6 140 for 6 months now and love it. I did have a problem where the car would start shaking / juddering on idle and it turned out to be the DMF, which is ££££'s to replace (only has 45,000 miles). The car would drive normally though.

Upon checking t'internet and speaking with various mechanics, it would appear that DMF's in general (not just VW) are a poor design and do not last as long as conventional flywheel's. Each to their own opinion, I do wonder whether mine started to fail as a result of poor driving / riding the clutch by the previous owner.

Once this was fixed the car has been perfect.

paradad
23-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Get one, they are very good. I went for the R36 because I wanted petrol & 4WD. It is really fast but I have yet to compare it with anything else:D

Scott23
27-09-2009, 08:00 PM
1. Get the DSG - it is brilliant! I wouldn't get a car without one now

2. Not had any probs yet

3. Ditto above

4. I love it personally. Go for auto hold too as coupled together they make driving as painless as possible and they are excellent if you are in a lot of traffic

5. The best yet IMHO

6.My 140 2.0 tdi does around 54mpg on a motorway run