PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Transmission

mtbrider0
22-09-2009, 01:19 PM
hi all, ive got a couple of problems with my brothers Mkii polo coupe H reg.

the outher day something to do with the clutch broke! the peddal has no tension and it is not the clutch cable as that is new.

the gearbox will not go into 1st or 2nd gear when the ignition is off, however it will enguage 3rd, 4th and reverse.

i am dropping the transmission out some time this week to inspect and replace the clutch, but does anyone have an idea as to what might be the problem with the gearbox or could it have something to do with a broken clutch component blocking something?

ALSO, before i can drop the box i need to disconect the driveshaft, but just wanting to know a couple of things as this is my first attemp at replacing a clutch...in my haynes manual, it states that a "spline tool" is needed to remove the inner CV joint bolts? what is this tool? :confused: where can i buy one?

thanks,
Jase

Crasher
22-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a broken release bearing fork.

The tool you need is called an 8-mm XZN bit and is often called a triple square, 12 point or multi hex.

mtbrider0
22-09-2009, 02:57 PM
yea i was thinking that myself...would it affect the gearbox tho?

o and thanks for the tool name...i thaught it might of ment torx key by spline tool :confused:

thanks alot dude!:beerchug:

jase

mtbrider0
22-09-2009, 03:17 PM
The tool you need is called an 8-mm XZN ...

i take it this is the same as a M8 XZN?

Crasher
22-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Yes.

saxon10sept
28-09-2009, 09:43 PM
hi all, ive got a couple of problems with my brothers Mkii polo coupe H reg.

the outher day something to do with the clutch broke! the peddal has no tension and it is not the clutch cable as that is new.

the gearbox will not go into 1st or 2nd gear when the ignition is off, however it will enguage 3rd, 4th and reverse.

i am dropping the transmission out some time this week to inspect and replace the clutch, but does anyone have an idea as to what might be the problem with the gearbox or could it have something to do with a broken clutch component blocking something?

ALSO, before i can drop the box i need to disconect the driveshaft, but just wanting to know a couple of things as this is my first attemp at replacing a clutch...in my haynes manual, it states that a "spline tool" is needed to remove the inner CV joint bolts? what is this tool? :confused: where can i buy one?

thanks,
Jasedont know if this any help but had similar with golf 3, where clutch cable goes into box, theres operating lever inside,lever had snapped around arm, need to take off end casing visible through left wheelarch heldon with 6 bolts arm is on inside, send me e mail addresss and ill send you pics of what to look for, hope this helps

Crasher
28-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Wrong box, that is an 020 box, he has an 085. Also, you can change the release bearing finger on an 020 without taking off the end casing, you just need to remove the green plate.

mtbrider0
29-09-2009, 11:09 AM
right well i have baught a new clutch...still dont know what went wrong with the old one tho :S perhaps the release bearing got stuck on the shaft maybe...
in my haynes manual it says to remove the clutch arm return spring when dismantaling the transimssion. well there is not one on this clutch:confused: but ive been to scrapyards to find anouther one but there is not one on any of the cars there eather. perhaps it's not needed?

also, there is a clutch alignment tool on ebay for a vw camper...do you know if this will also fit a polo? if not, will a universal one work?

thanks

Crasher
29-09-2009, 01:44 PM
They do not have a clutch arm spring anymore. I don’t think the T2 alignment tool will work, universal ones are not that good either. If I am stuck for one, I take a 3/8” drive extension bar and wrap insulating tape around it where it goes into the crank until I have a perfect fit. Then I wrap tape around it where the friction plate splines will be, this makes a perfect alignment tool.

mtbrider0
29-09-2009, 08:03 PM
that is a briliant idea! thanks bud thatl do fine :P

mtbrider0
01-10-2009, 02:17 PM
well clutch is installed...but it doesnt bite enough. ive tried adjusting it alot and it will only just bite. so the car starts to move but the clutch keeps slipping. do you think ive done something wrong when installing?

Crasher
01-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Ehh!

Issac Hunt
01-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Did you get the friction plate in the right way round?!

mtbrider0
02-10-2009, 11:37 AM
yep! it clearly says gearbox side...so i put that side to face the gearbox right? ... ive got a mate whos a mechanic whos gona help me sort it out. it needs a new box so...alot of time wasted! thanks for your help. :approve: