PDA

View Full Version : Brake Travel on 2003 130 tdi

1998FTW
23-04-2007, 09:38 AM
On my dads 2003 130 passat the car seems to be having excessive brake travel. He took it into a VW dealership recently and they advised a complete set of brake pads and disks as they were worn. Now as far as im aware brake discs and pads will not cause travel on the brake peddle as they are servo assisted. I know on my 1998 tdi passat when the rear pads went the brakes still felt fine (although destroyed my discs :P).

A couple of things that we thought it could be is

An issue with the master cylinder
or
An issue with a pump that sits behind the engine to do with the brakes(i cant remeber what this is called).

I think my dad ruled out the issue with bleeding the brakes.

The car has done about 20000 miles

Anyone else had problems like this?

snapdragon
23-04-2007, 10:23 AM
It seems normal on these Passats and A4s, but only the ones with a TDi engine, it's as though the pump is too powerful compared to using manifold vacuum. There also seems to be a lot of servo problems due to rust around the seam. Look in the waterbox at the big round servo, make sure it isn't sitting in water. Make sure the seam isn't rusting through.

1998FTW
25-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Ok i think that one has been ruled out. Still investigating. If we find out ill post it here.

hijamie
20-04-2009, 11:10 PM
hi, I too have this problem on my 02 passat tdi sport. I have change the master cylinder twice, changed the abs pump, changed the vacum pump at the back of the engine, I am now going to change the servo although I do not think this will cure it but it must be tried. The brake are really sharp but pedal will travel in completely with some pressure. If you find an answer let me know as i too have posted my problem. cheers