PDA

View Full Version : Question Gauge needle sweep

Soot1e
21-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I have just had my Sep 08 B8 into the dealers for it's first oil service and whilst there I asked for them to set up the needle sweep and flashing hazards under heavy braking as it had to go onto their diagnostics anyway.

I was suprised to be told my car could not be set up for the needle sweep and that all A4s were already set up for the flashing hazards under emergency braking.:confused:

Has anyone with an early model been successful in setting up the needle sweep? Are the hazards set up for emergency braking?

Finally is there anyone in Norfolk with a VAGCOM willing to have a go at setting up the needle sweep who can prove to me the garage are correct or not as the case may be.:dunno: Thanks

Plife
21-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Most dealers are unwilling to do anything like this. I have set both up on mine which was built in October 08. The hazards were not set up as standard, but both easy enough to do in VCDS (aka VAG COM).

Hippogriff
21-09-2009, 06:25 PM
I think any Dealer (unless very tame) will not want to set up needle sweep for an A4 because it is part of the S branding - an added extra for S cars only. That doesn't mean it cannot be done...

I wanted it too, and I asked my Dealer politely... to be told it couldn't be done. One link to YouTube later, I was told actually it wouldn't be done, when I asked why, I was told they'd not be happy because it would void my warranty. I felt rather sceptical about that, but let it go at that point.

The only decision for me now is whether to invest almost £250 in the cable I will need to do this and other stuff as, pretty much, a one-off. I'm still thinking on that.

pitch3110
21-09-2009, 10:00 PM
If VCDS software is reasonable why don't we pool together for a cable.

Is it that simple????

Apologies if I sound thick

Ta

Hippogriff
21-09-2009, 10:36 PM
An expert would need to tell us, but I thought it was, effectively, a dongle that somehow tied itself to the software you had installed on the computer. If so, that doesn't often mean the same software (which is free, isn't it?) can't be installed on multiple computers and then the cable used with it, just that multiple computers (thus owners) cannot be doing 'stuff' at the same time, as the cable controls it all.

But, it's all new to me... so I'm probably way off base. Anyone else?

k6rff
22-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi,
I've set up needle sweep on mine (wiki Ross Tech) but have yet to find how to enable flashing brake lights under heavy braking.
I've got the new VCDS hex can lead (£245) but this amound would easily be spent in a Dealership without much being achieved. It gives you long term access on current and future audi's. Money well spent.
Does anyone know if VCDS can programme the immobiliser chip in new key? I'm particularly interested for my son's 53 plate Seat Ibiza
Regards

Plife
23-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi,
I've set up needle sweep on mine (wiki Ross Tech) but have yet to find how to enable flashing brake lights under heavy braking.

46 - Comfort System]
[Coding - 07] -> Long Coding Helper -> Byte 8
Bit 0 – Emergency Brake Flashing via Turn Lights active (1 = active)
Bit 1 – Emergency Brake Flashing via Brake Lights active (1 = active)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2487/3757513859_56e062da2b_o.jpg

You need to tick Bit 1 - Not easy to see if it is working!!

spellsinger
23-09-2009, 09:44 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2487/3757513859_56e062da2b_o.jpg

You need to tick Bit 1 - Not easy to see if it is working!!

Could some kind soul post the same graphic for the "Needle Sweep"?

Would be appreciated.

Mike

Plife
23-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Could some kind soul post the same graphic for the "Needle Sweep"?

Would be appreciated.

Mike
Here ya go

[17 - Instruments]
[Coding - 07] -> Long Coding Helper -> Byte 1
Bit 0 - Check the box for "Gauge Test/Needle Sweep active"

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2569/3946621331_bcb1b5edd6_o.jpg