PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem - Golf V5

SiJP
22-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi all,

I've got a little bit of a strange one which I'd like some help with.

On Saturday I drove off for footy practice, parked my car, ran around like a loon for an hour then heard my Alarm going off- a young lad had knocked my car whilst getting into his.

Anyway, I turned the alarm off and carried on running around.

After about 30 minutes I called it a day and went to start my car. The Engine turned over but did not catch. I went to the bar for a coke, and came out two hours later, and it started no problems.

Today (nearly) the same thing. Parked up, my alarm went off I switched it off, it started and drove home, but then I got in my car later, and it wouldnt' start.

A friend of mine came out and checked with a volt meter and confirmed that there was no power going into the engine. Yet two hours later I went out and the car started. Again.

Any ideas whats with all this stop/start rubbish?

Its a 1999 Golf V5.

Cheers!

martinkgray
30-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Could it be the battery? I havent had a problem with my V5 but with my old car (a Fiat Coupe) i had similar problems where a dodgy battery caused the alarm to trip and the occasional start-up problem.

Let me knw how you get on.

Martin

SiJP
30-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Just to update this thread a little, I gave in and took it to my local VW garage who diagnosed that the Engine speed sensor needed replacing.

Breakdown of the costs as follows:

Diagnosis £30
Part £50
Labour £150

(all exclusive of VAT)

shooey88
30-04-2007, 01:43 PM
that would cause your starting problem...what about the alarm going off?
did u find what triggered that...using vagcom you can see what the last 5 causes where that triggered your alarm off.

casper
30-04-2007, 01:53 PM
check the earth strap goin from the battery because they sometimes get corroded you can scratch it of with a screwdriver and job done but it will more than likely come back unless you get a new one!!!

SiJP
30-04-2007, 02:07 PM
shooey88 - the alarm was genuinely going off (i.e. the first time someone knocked my car, the second time I'd left the sun roof open and one of the lads thought i'd be funny to chuck somthing through it!)

Gonna invest in the ross-tech vagcom when I get a spare couple of hundred!

SiJP
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM