PDA

View Full Version : Poor acceleration up hills with 1997 2.5TDi (140hp) 5 cyl

chilledgibbo
20-09-2009, 07:11 PM
My Audi A6 has been suffering for some time from poor acceleration which is particularly noticeable when driving uphill on motorways. The car when last serviced in July had the fuel and air filters changed.

I've also had the car checked in case it was the MAF but nothing seemed to come up on the diagnostics at my local indy VW garage, although he did programme the diesel fuel pump to work a bit harder as he said it was pumping weaker than normal. Despite that the problem still exists.

I've tried diesel injector treatment, as well as filled up with V-Power to see if it makes any difference. There is a bit more pick up at low revs (because of the V-Power) but the hesitation is still there on hills, so the problem still exists.

I'm not convinced its the MAF, as its meant to hit fuel economy and I'm getting excellent mileage on long runs, sometimes getting up to 60mpg on steady long 70mph cruises (which is good for a 2.5TDi).

I've also attempted to check, from looking at other posts on the forums, vacum lines, and I have heard people refer to the EGR but to be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for or where. Call me thick, but I only know about the obvious bits that make a car run, prior to the sophistications of engine management systems and so on.

If anyone has any ideas and advice and can maybe even point me to the right bits, perhaps with photos (a big ask, I know) it would really help. The old A6 is getting on a bit, having done 170,000 miles but she is a real peach of a motor for long journeys and I'm sure getting this sorted would give her a new lease of life.

Many thanks!

sr-performance
21-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Hi mate, could be your egr that is causing probs.
Look at your exhaust near engine/turbo and look for a metal pipe that runs up to a valve on inlet manifold. easily taken off and cleaned, if possible blank it off with a plate.. sorry cant be more helpfull mate... hope you sort it?....:beerchug:

chilledgibbo
22-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks Steve

Had a quick look under the bonnet this evening. What I think is the EGR is near the back of the engine on the drivers side, from the exhaust and is bolted onto that pipe and also the inlet manifold. Would it need new gaskets if this is taken off?

sr-performance
23-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Hi mate,
Should have metal gaskets fitted if it has any mate..:)

rustybodie
16-01-2011, 09:16 PM
hi !

did you ever get to the root of the problem with your audi's poor acceleration?
we have a 1995 version and it does exactly the same as you described your's does!
on long motorway drags it gets slower and slower - even when you drop a gear it still gets slower and slower until we're travelling at a scarily slow 40-odd mph!

would be most grateful for any insight you gained on this problem!

best regards,
rusty