PDA

View Full Version : Dealer refuses to give courtesy car

RMIM
22-04-2007, 04:37 PM
HI All,

My Polo VW which is about 2years old (warranty 3years) developed a simple problem that is covered by the warranty. (Something to do with spark plug coil or something. It's preventing one of the spark plugs from sparking).

It is a simple 30min job to fix. The part is not that costly either. Not that we have to pay for anything as it's covered by the warranty.

The only trouble is the part is out of stock. Apparently no where in the whole of the UK have they got this part! It has to come from Germany and could take 2 months! Im sure people could walk to Germany from the UK in less than 2 months.

Ok so I have to accept this - but they refuse to give me some kind of hire/courtesy car. They refuse to pay for a hire car. (This is the VW dealer I bought the car from)

Is this right? Are they allowed not to offer me any kind of compensation even though the car is on warranty? I don’t mind waiting 2 or 3 weeks with no car - but 2 months with nothing in return is a bit much.

Tried to get the part myself from a local VW and they said they don’t have any in stock - said it's a common problem with this model of Polo.

What can I do? Am I wrong to expect a courtesy car?

Thanks.

Huweth
22-04-2007, 07:11 PM
All VW dealers should offer you a courtesy car, but obviously if they are all booked you can't have one. They probably just don't want to book one out for 2 months. I'd contact VW UK and get them to speak to the dealer, you can't be expected to be without a car because something they supplied broke. Thats not your fault.
It's worth noting that the excess on VW's courtesy car insurance is about £1500. I decided that was too rich for my blood should I have an accident during the 1 day I needed it. I'd be very scared to drive with a £1500 excess for 2 months.
Good luck and let us know what happens.

RMIM
22-04-2007, 07:30 PM
It's worth noting that the excess on VW's courtesy car insurance is about £1500. I

Thanks for the reply Huweth. Yes £1500 excess is something to think about. Not worth the risk I think. Still would be nice to get something back for the huge delay.

Huweth
22-04-2007, 07:55 PM
You could try and wangle an extended warranty or free service since a warranty is not much good if you can't drive the car...

MalcQV
22-04-2007, 09:41 PM
They have to provide something surely, the product is not fit for purpose in it's current state :mad:

RMIM
22-04-2007, 11:35 PM
They have to provide something surely, the product is not fit for purpose in it's current state :mad:
You would have thought. To me it's quite obvious they have to give me something - so how do they get away with not offering me anything? on-top-of-that clearly stating they will not pay. My car is still with them - you cant really run a car only on 3 sparks plugs. If it was a non essential part that would be something else.

guyg
22-04-2007, 11:44 PM
It's worth noting that the excess on VW's courtesy car insurance is about £1500.

Ouch!

I'm not sure if all VW dealers do this, but Carrs of Helston offer a full indemnity waiver for £8 per loan whether it's for a morning or a whole week. I always pay as I think it's worth offsetting the risk...

I once had a courtesy car when my A6 went in on an insurance job [to replace the locks after I lost a key] and the insurance company transferred my insurance to the courtesy car for the duration of the loan. When I read the small print, it was part of the terms for the provision of a courtesy car.

You could probably arrange something similar if you need a loan car for an extended period of time.

Cheers

Guy

Captain Answer
23-04-2007, 12:02 PM
You would have thought. To me it's quite obvious they have to give me something - so how do they get away with not offering me anything? on-top-of-that clearly stating they will not pay. My car is still with them - you cant really run a car only on 3 sparks plugs. If it was a non essential part that would be something else.

You've obviously never run a £50 bangor round out the paper, 3 spark plugs is a luxury :D

s0niX
23-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Huweth, You said contact VW UK? Do you have a link you can send me for these or a phone number. VW UK the Main place??

Sam
23-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Huweth, You said contact VW UK? Do you have a link you can send me for these or a phone number. VW UK the Main place??

Google?

Your own thread?

Our Links section?

s0niX
23-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Google?

Thats what i have come here for, Advice So why search Google? I used Google to locate this place.

Yes i have tried looking and there is no contact details on the website.

Sam
23-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Thats what i have come here for, Advice So why search Google? I used Google to locate this place.

Strange, I found some here

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/company/faq#contact

s0niX
23-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks Mate.

Eshrules
23-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Google?

Thanks Mate.

:D everyone is here to help mate, but lessen the attiude and youll find people are more receptive ;) a simple google search could have returned the same info :beerchug:

RMIM
24-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Strange, I found some here

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/company/faq#contact

I cant find the email for the head office is there one?

shooey88
24-04-2007, 07:14 PM
supposedly..if a part is on back order....the vw garage can claim money from volkswagen for loaning out a courtesy car...so surely u would be a priority to give a courtesy car compared to someone else? as thats why main delears charge so much is for the extra privelages of having the option of having a replacement car..

RMIM
24-04-2007, 07:55 PM
supposedly..if a part is on back order....the vw garage can claim money from volkswagen for loaning out a courtesy car...so surely u would be a priority to give a courtesy car compared to someone else? as thats why main delears charge so much is for the extra privelages of having the option of having a replacement car..
Well I dont know what their game is. But I sent them an email saying I have located a second hand part for £22.50 inc postage - told them to fit this one then when the new part comes in fit that. That's a lot cheaper than hiring a car for 2 months. Sadly I doubt they will even read the email - and I cant find one for the head office. Too lazy to buy a stamp.

RMIM
25-04-2007, 12:34 AM
Does anyone have any working email address to someone at VW. All the ones I have tried at the Morden branch keep giving me a delivery failure.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/retailers/contact_us?dealer_no=193

Found this is the FAQ

In the event of an incident with my vehicle whilst under warranty, am I entitled to a courtesy car?

Volkswagen grants courtesy cars, although this is subject to availability at the Volkswagen Retailer.

Eshrules
25-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Does anyone have any working email address to someone at VW. All the ones I have tried at the Morden branch keep giving me a delivery failure.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/retailers/contact_us?dealer_no=193

Found this is the FAQ

In the event of an incident with my vehicle whilst under warranty, am I entitled to a courtesy car?

Volkswagen grants courtesy cars, although this is subject to availability at the Volkswagen Retailer.

i hate to say this, but they're not actually obliged to offer you a courtesy car... a courtesy car is exactly that... a courtesy car. there is only one situation i know of where anyone is obliged to provide a courtesy car and that's when you've had a no fault bump and the car is off the road for any reason.....

having said that, VW usually offer one. i think you said they can't offer you one for 2 weeks? they only have so many to loan out at any time and if all these are loaned out currently, there isn't a great deal you can do....

i know its annoying, but as long as they offer to fix the fault that's all their actually obliged to do, the courtesy car is to keep customers happy and on the road, but if they're all already out.... not much you can do im afraid :(

however having said that... its always worth a letter of complaint, they may transfer another courtesy car from another branch or make special arrangements, sometimes having a rant on the forecourt isn't enough :beerchug:

MalcQV
25-04-2007, 08:13 AM
I know what your saying Esh, but in this case the customer has paid for a car he cannot use and not just for a week or two. As I said before the product is not fit for purpose, so IMO the situation changes and VW/dealer should be prepared to provide a car for the duration.

Eshrules
25-04-2007, 09:18 AM
I know what your saying Esh, but in this case the customer has paid for a car he cannot use and not just for a week or two. As I said before the product is not fit for purpose, so IMO the situation changes and VW/dealer should be prepared to provide a car for the duration.

i understand your point... see my thread on 'legal help with dodgy motor' the car is 2 years old.... it could be argued this is fair wear and tear, in any capacity, the Dealership has offered to repair it, free of charge, as per the warranty, they've not done anything wrong....

trust me, i've been here myself and i know how infuriating it can get... a courtesy car is not a requirment of the sale of goods act and you can only argue it is not fit for its purpose if the fault is either non-repairable or the dealership refuses to repair the fault.

as i said.... dont do anything verbally, put your complaint in writing.

my course of action would be, get a letter put together, explaining the situation, explain that this fault is repairable under warranty, but the part is unavailable for 2 months, explain that your car is a necessity and that if a courtesy car cannot be provided, you will be seeking compensation for the loss of your car and subsequent expenses.

send it to the highest office you can get the address for, recorded delivery, and request a reply within 5 working days. if they choose to ignore that letter and still insist on making you wait for 2 months, contact trading standards and ask their advice.....

they're not doing anything wrong techincally but they are taking the micky a bit and i can understand your frustration.

i certainly woudnt use the 'fit for purpose' argument though, as that is a very difficult claim to prove, especially as they have offered to repair the car without charge.

MalcQV
25-04-2007, 01:14 PM
You have a good point and experience ;) I still think for a two year old car to be out of action for that long and no "completely" free courtesy car is bang out of order. Must be a VW thing :mad::zx11:

Eshrules
25-04-2007, 01:25 PM
You have a good point and experience ;) I still think for a two year old car to be out of action for that long and no "completely" free courtesy car is bang out of order. Must be a VW thing :mad::zx11:

i agree.... totally out of order and not at all reflective of the repuation they would claim to have....

a strongly worded letter of complaint normally gets the situation resolved. ;)

if theres one thing i have learnt... complain, complain and complain, but make sure it's in writing, people tend to be less rude in a letter than to your face or on the phone... for obvious reasons... they wouldnt want an insulting letter to be sent to a customer, i remember one such instance with a letter a 'supermarket' sent to a mature customer, telling her to stop whining... it was all over the newspapers and the lady was duely compensated :D

RMIM
25-04-2007, 05:17 PM
OK lets forget the courtesy car, I mean actually trying to get one - I think I have come up with a very reasonable alternative. The part is available second hand. It might even be available new as a non-genuine part. I have located the part at a cast of £22. We have been told by them it takes 30mins to fit the part. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to fit this second hand part for me till the other one arrives. I am even willing for them to fit the second hand part and just give me the new one when it arrives. I will worry about fitting the new item when the old ones fails.

This would cost them a lot less money that lending me a car for just 2days let alone 2 months.

So who do I email my suggestion to? I can't get hold of a single email.

Eshrules
25-04-2007, 07:08 PM
OK lets forget the courtesy car, I mean actually trying to get one - I think I have come up with a very reasonable alternative. The part is available second hand. It might even be available new as a non-genuine part. I have located the part at a cast of £22. We have been told by them it takes 30mins to fit the part. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to fit this second hand part for me till the other one arrives. I am even willing for them to fit the second hand part and just give me the new one when it arrives. I will worry about fitting the new item when the old ones fails.

This would cost them a lot less money that lending me a car for just 2days let alone 2 months.

So who do I email my suggestion to? I can't get hold of a single email.

in all honesty.... i wouldnt bother.

they cant fit a second hand unit or a non-genuine part, because this would invalidate the warranty. all parts fitted when repairing a fault, must be brand new and OEM fitment. aftermarket/non genuine parts are not VW approved and therefore, not warranty permitted. the same applies to a 2nd hand unit, as it cannot be tested for integrity.

i realise how frustrating this is and to joe bloggs whether its OEM or non OEM really wouldnt matter, all you want is your car on the road. but if you go ahead and fit a 2nd hand unit, VW can quite legally and fairly, wipe their hands of the fault... as you have intervened and fitted a non approved part.

i would push for the courtesy car... put a letter of complaint in as i said and send it recorded delivery, i can almost guarantee you will get your courtesy car.

RMIM
25-04-2007, 07:23 PM
in all honesty.... i wouldnt bother.
they cant fit a second hand unit or a non-genuine part, because this would invalidate the warranty. all parts fitted when repairing a fault, must be brand new and OEM fitment. aftermarket/non genuine parts are not VW approved and therefore, not warranty permitted. the same applies to a 2nd hand unit, as it cannot be tested for integrity.

DAMN!

Think this is all a sign for me to do my DAS and get myself a nice Yamaha R6.

Eshrules
25-04-2007, 07:32 PM
DAMN!

Think this is all a sign for me to do my DAS and get myself a nice Yamaha R6.

get the letter sent ;)

MalcQV
26-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I am frustrated and it is not me being inconvenienced!!

Esh, your one mature intelligent gent, I know who speak to when I have legal difficulties, that is some very sound advice.

I can't help but be annoyed that a dumb part cannot be obtained in a reasonable amount of time, it is a "common" problem which I appreciate means these [HT coils] are in short supply but that means they should have more available.

Get the bike, my loyalty is with the Japanese, bloody European cars!!!! (that includes Italian cars yes!!!)

MalcQV
27-04-2007, 12:52 PM
See http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=35833&posted=1#post35833

Looks like a general problem obtaining coils!

Eshrules
27-04-2007, 01:13 PM
See http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=35833&posted=1#post35833

hmm interesting... i cant really comment though, im not too 'up' on the legalities of recalls, although im sure there is a time period, for which the supplier is responsible for repairs, outside of this, any cars which aren't submitted for the recall work to be done are thus exempt. .....i shall look into this ;)

I am frustrated and it is not me being inconvenienced!!

Esh, your one mature intelligent gent, I know who speak to when I have legal difficulties, that is some very sound advice.

I can't help but be annoyed that a dumb part cannot be obtained in a reasonable amount of time, it is a "common" problem which I appreciate means these [HT coils] are in short supply but that means they should have more available.

Get the bike, my loyalty is with the Japanese, bloody European cars!!!! (that includes Italian cars yes!!!)

LOL i dont actually know that much, i just know a lot of the 'dirty tricks' dealers/warranty companies and alike will pull to get out of doing any work. they are so **** about everything, i had an awful time with my golf when i first got it, i got spoken to like something on the bottom of their shoe, you report it to trading standards and there seems to be a reluctance nowadays to get anything sorted.

on the upside, you do learn a lot and what not to do the next time around. i insist on everything being confirmed in writing now, even something as simple as a name amendemant on an insurance policy or a direct debit alteration.

companies are very reluctant and a lot less likely to insult you or be condescending through written form, as the moment they type it and present it to you, it is liable material :D

you have to be tough with these people and i totally sympathise with the OP in his situation.... :( im hoping we get some feedback soon? we've not had an update for a few days :(

shooey88
27-04-2007, 04:30 PM
iv known a car to be stuck in a vw garage for 4 months with part on back order...no wonder garages r running out of courtesy cars. lol

Sam
27-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Coils were a major problem on certain year VAG cars. Looks like it's come around again ;)

RMIM
27-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Yay! - they fitted a new coil!

How lucky can I be. I thought I was going to have to wait for months! - hang on - I do have to wait for months anyway!

They have just fixed the coil problem and now they tell me there is a catalytic problem. Again covered by warranty - Again out-of-stock and on back order! Again they have no idea when the part will turn up. Again they estimate months.

To my surprise they have offered me a car and took my licence no. etc.
They did not call me about it by the way. I had to call them. I'm sure if I did not call they would not have said a thing.

MalcQV
29-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Incredible :(. At least it seems you have a car.

RMIM
29-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Incredible :(. At least it seems you have a car.

Um - not yet. They just took my license details on Friday. Called them on Saturday after 1pm and they told me no one is here to deal with my call, wait till Monday.

So we will see what happens Monday. I doubt anyone will phone me, I will have to phone them. If they do offer me a car they better drop it at my house, it better be a Lamborghini or similar, she better have a huge chest, she better not be skinny, she better show me how everything works - made me wait long enough for it.

MalcQV
01-05-2007, 12:19 PM
How did you get on?

RMIM
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
How did you get on?
Monday I could not be bothered to call them. It's Tuesday now - still cant be bothered to call them, they just keep transferring you from one person to another only to tell you to call back the next day.

I recently bought a cooker and oven from sainsbury's and they call me up all the time to see if everything is ok. The oven timer was broken and they quickly arranged for it to be fixed (They call the relevant company). Called me up again to see if the engineered had fixed it. Now that is what you call good customer service, and I only spent £750 with them. With VW I spent over £8000 and they cant even answer my call let alone call me.

I have borrowed an old lemon of a car from someone.

I've just got my fingers crossed that the part will come in soon like the coil did. It would have been nice if they had an idea of when it was coming.

Eshrules
01-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Monday I could not be bothered to call them. It's Tuesday now - still cant be bothered to call them, they just keep transferring you from one person to another only to tell you to call back the next day.

I recently bought a cooker and oven from sainsbury's and they call me up all the time to see if everything is ok. The oven timer was broken and they quickly arranged for it to be fixed (They call the relevant company). Called me up again to see if the engineered had fixed it. Now that is what you call good customer service, and I only spent £750 with them. With VW I spent over £8000 and they cant even answer my call let alone call me.

I have borrowed an old lemon of a car from someone.

I've just got my fingers crossed that the part will come in soon like the coil did. It would have been nice if they had an idea of when it was coming.

get that chuffing letter written up and sent in ;) threaten to bad press them and explain your disgust with their customer service.

send a copy to the dealership and a copy to the head office, making each aware on the relevant copies that the other copy has been sent to the other person and you have retained a copy for yourself.

until you've done this... i doubt they'll be bothered about anything. should they both ignore your letter, get in touch with trading standards. companies ignoring complainants or 'screamers' as we are affectionatley known is not looked upon favourably. :beerchug:

MalcQV
02-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Esh has a point, shouldn't have to do this mind :mad:

Good luck.

Eshrules
02-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Esh has a point, shouldn't have to do this mind :mad:

Good luck.

couldnt agree more and its eshrules to you ;) :p call me carl... Esh is sooo yesterday :approve:

MalcQV
02-05-2007, 08:39 AM
couldnt agree more and its eshrules to you ;) :p call me carl... Esh is sooo yesterday :approve:

Carl it is, the Eshrules is way tooo much typing :p

RMIM
04-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Despite taking my licence number no less that 2 times, I never did get a hire car.

Thank the lord for small miracles - I collected my beloved Polo today - all seems well with it. Did not have to wait months after all.

The kind lady there was reading out a truck load of stuff they did to my car while I was waiting for my keys. I asked her for a copy, she said she could write it out. She then began to type it out. I said to her can't you just photo copy that sheet for me. She said ok. She went to do it then her boss told her she is not allowed, apparently that document is something internal only. So I left with no paper work at all.

I remember her saying they changed coil 4. I'm a bit worried about that. I was hoping they would change all of them before the rest have a go at failing on me. I think the failed coil caused a lot of damage. They had to re-grind the cylinders or something.

The car is over 2 years. Only have a year left of warranty - Im very worried the same problem will repeat itself with another coil when its just out of warranty and I will have to pay for all the repairs. It seems there was a lot that they had to repair.

Do they have to provide me with some kind of paper work that details everything they had to do and replace?

Thanks

shooey88
04-05-2007, 09:49 PM
iv never heard of coils doing much damage before...sounds like crap about grinding the cylinders.
they obviously didnt want you to know something....cos they not letting you know exactly whats done to your car...
then again never does a nice lady at front desk know what is done herself....having no motor trade knowledge....but obviously just pleasing to the eye
they used to change all the coils under warranty if one fails as the new part number is modified and the old part number is prone to failure. so go back and get them done b4 your warranty runs out...:beerchug:

RMIM
05-05-2007, 12:58 AM
iv never heard of coils doing much damage before...sounds like crap about grinding the cylinders.
they obviously didnt want you to know something....cos they not letting you know exactly whats done to your car...

Well there was a tonn of stuff they did to i before it was back to normal again going on what she was reading out.

The original problem was that it was misfiring - this was due to the faulty coil I guess. Sadly we drove the car for a little while before we noticed, this might have done some damage?

I think she said they replaced the coil but the car was still misfiring.

I remember her saying re-grinding cylinders.

She did not mention anything about the cat. - this was the part we were supposedly waiting for.

There was a load of other stuff but I was not paying attention - thought they were going to give us a print out or something. Damn it - I wish I had a decent camera on my phone, I could have snapped a quick picture of that paper work - Im sure its mysteriously going to go missing or have the words 'all 4 coils changed' added to it. Damn it - and the pretty lady was very happy to copy out by hand the top secret info and I went and stopped her :aargh4:

MalcQV
07-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Re-grinding valves perhaps? Maybe burned a few if it was mis-firing?

At least you have it back in less time than predicted, maybe they read the forum :approve:

titticarcar
14-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Three month wait for parts, what a luxury, I work for a Citroen dealer and things can take longer than that !!!!!!

The loan car issue depends on your dealer but £1500 excess seems stiff though, our loan car excess is £250 if you're over 25, and £500 if between 21 and 25, do what my customers do when waiting for parts, put pressure on the manufacturer, see what they will offer you can only be told no!!!:o :o :o :o

colb666
09-06-2007, 07:11 AM
If your taking a loan car why don't you put it on your own car insurance policy for the time of the hire? The dealer will be responsible for your car since its in their care anyway? It may cost an admin fee to your insurer but thats got to be cheaper and safer than taking it on the dealers insurance?

VW's customer careline at Milton Keynes is 0800711811

boo69
03-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Firslty, I'm new to this site. Hence this may be in the wrong place, so I apologise in advance!

I have had a nightmare with my local VW workshop who "fixed" my car after a minor bump. I collected the car, they gave me the keys and left to search for it in the car park. I thought I'd just have a look under the bonnet to check new bumper, headlights etc fitted as on the original quote. All looked great, dropped the bonnet, only for it to bounce back up at me. The catch is shot. Then discovered no bulbs in the new headlights. Yes, NONE. So I could have driven away, been travelling miles, strats to go dark, switch lights on - oh, no lights. How dangerous? Ended up there for another hour and ten minutes while they sorted this. Switched air con on yesterday - sounds like there's a dying cat in there somewhere. Can't even face ringing them. Want to write a letter of complaint and copy every man and his dog in. Do you have any addresses / names please? VW Customer Care have given me the below?

VW Passenger Car
Select Post 12
Sheffield
S97 3ZU

Eshrules
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Firslty, I'm new to this site. Hence this may be in the wrong place, so I apologise in advance!

I have had a nightmare with my local VW workshop who "fixed" my car after a minor bump. I collected the car, they gave me the keys and left to search for it in the car park. I thought I'd just have a look under the bonnet to check new bumper, headlights etc fitted as on the original quote. All looked great, dropped the bonnet, only for it to bounce back up at me. The catch is shot. Then discovered no bulbs in the new headlights. Yes, NONE. So I could have driven away, been travelling miles, strats to go dark, switch lights on - oh, no lights. How dangerous? Ended up there for another hour and ten minutes while they sorted this. Switched air con on yesterday - sounds like there's a dying cat in there somewhere. Can't even face ringing them. Want to write a letter of complaint and copy every man and his dog in. Do you have any addresses / names please? VW Customer Care have given me the below?

VW Passenger Car
Select Post 12
Sheffield
S97 3ZU

whilst i will always support a complaint, i dont think you have any grounds just yet to write a letter.

first things first... you cant moan about having to 'find' your car... its a reasonable request and i wouldnt have an issue with it (i am the most complaining customer on god's earth).

second... the lightbulbs - fair play to the garage, they repaired it without any argument for you - you cant say fairer than that.

in regards to the air con. you cant write a letter of complaint, because you havent even told the garage, you need to at least give them the chance to rectify the fault. if they then refuse to fix it THEN you have grounds to complain mate ;)

the trouble is, if you complain too early, they will be a lot more awkward than usual.....

keep us updated ;)