PDA

View Full Version : VAG-COM on Windows 7

the_unrepentant
16-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi all
I just bought my diagnostics cable which came with VAG-COM 409.1. I'm running Windows 7 (Latest release with all updates applied) on a new MacBook Pro in Bootcamp (using VMWare as well). I can install the USB serial cable fine but the VAG-COM software won't open. I have changed compatibility to Windows XP SP2 and to run as Administrator but it still doesn't run. I installed the latest VAG-COM VCDS Release 908 and that runs but it doesn't communicate when i plug it into my car (which is a B5 Passat V5). I tried using my dads laptop which is running XP and 409.1 works fine and communicates with my car. I really need my laptop to run it and i have read success with Windows 7 even using a Mac so not sure what my problem is to be honest. Any help would be much appreciated....

Thanks

saabsalltheway!
16-09-2009, 09:35 PM
i do believe that 409.1 wont work with windows 7 or even vista as it was released in september (09) 2004(4) thats why vcds is at 908
paul

the_unrepentant
16-09-2009, 09:41 PM
So how comes i can't get 908 to communicate with my car? I know the cable is OK as it works on my dad's laptop. I'm guessing its something to do with me running Windows 7 on a Mac but i have read other forums of success with this. I don't really want to downgrade back to XP just to run this but I may well have to! I don't use Windows much anyway so I guess it won't hurt....

saabsalltheway!
16-09-2009, 10:55 PM
read this
1.8 Will there be a Mac or Linux version?

There will be no "native" Mac or Linux versions. The time and effort required to "port" VAG-COM to these platforms would never be worthwhile.

Linux:

One person has gotten VAG-COM running under Linux using WINE -- click here for details.

A much more recent one: HOW-TO Install VAG-COM in Ubuntu Linux using Wine

Mac (IBM/Motorola):

Results on IBM/Motorola Power-PC based Macs using Virtual PC vary. Some people have gotten it to work, but sample rates tend to be poor and the sessions tend to drop frequently. This is likely inherent in the overhead and latency inherent in the virtualized environment. Some people have not gotten it to work at all.

Mac (Intel):

Reports from numerous users indicate that VAG-COM works perfectly on the latest Intel-based Macs when these run Windows XP natively using Boot Camp. We've had a few reports that VAG-COM does not work with Windows Vista under Boot Camp. Reports from people using Parallels are less favorable, most people who've tried this have not been able to get it to work at all, especially with Parallels builds lower than 3120.

The bottom line:

We do not consider any of these to be "Supported" platforms for VAG-COM. If you can get VAG-COM to work on one of these platforms, great. But if it doesn't work, please don't expect us to be able to help you.

from ross-tech site F.A.Q's page 1
paul

the_unrepentant
16-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks for that, very useful! I guess its back to XP then on my Mac. I'm not too disappointed as I barely ever use Windows on it anyway. At least i know now and thanks for your help!

shark_90
17-09-2009, 12:53 AM
908 will only work with an official Ross-Tech cable. If you can afford a MacBook Pro then I wager you can afford a proper licensed copy of VCDS :)

the_unrepentant
17-09-2009, 12:57 AM
It depends how much it is, I spent all my money on my Macbook Pro!

saabsalltheway!
17-09-2009, 09:32 PM
hi
the hex can usb cable costs about £250
its the full deal and if you know a few others with vag cars it might pay for itself in no time
paul

wacky77
04-04-2010, 07:45 AM
you can always 'dual boot' the laptop, I have windows 7 and XP on my laptop, 7 to use as normal an XP to run old but useful programs incompatible with 7 or vista.

bearthebruce
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
You can avoid dual booting as Ross-Tech released a new shareware product on April 1 that supercedes all previous shareware versions and is completely Windows 7 compatible. The product is call VCDSLite (http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html)