PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Over Revving on Gear Change/Acceleration

EJC
16-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi

I have a 2006 Alhambra 1.9 TDI (115 BPH) - manual gearbox
It has just had its 45000km service last month.
I recently noticed that the engine tends to over rev when I change gear and press the accelerator before settling down to 'normal' rev levels. There is not extra power delivery during this over-revving phase. I'm pretty sure that I am not depressing the cluth pedal at all while accelerating so I am assuming that the clutch is fully engaged.
The over-revving also seems to appear momentarily if I rapidly depress the accelerator pedal - when overtaking for instance
In all other respects the car seems to drive normally
The dual mass flywheel failed on this car at 15000km and I had the flywheel and clutch replaced, under warrenty, at the first service.

Has anybody got any ideas of what the problem might be?

kite
16-09-2009, 02:40 PM
a failed swich on the clutch pedal is known to give this problem

EJC
17-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Kite
Thanks for the reply

I've just been to the main dealers to see if they could diagnose the problem for me.
They say that the clutch is starting to slip - it coulld give up the ghost at any time - and will be happy to charge me €1100+ for fitting a new clutch plus more if the flywheel needs changing as well.
I asked if there could be a problem with some switch on the clutch perhaps not allowing the clutch engage fully or correctly.
They didn't seem to take this on board and suggested that even if there were some other root cause of the problem the issue now is that the clutch is slipping and will have to be replaced.

Do you know of any way of checking
(i) if the clutch mechanisim, switch etc is working correctly
(ii) or how to tell if the clutch is starting to wear and slip
without going to the major expense of removing the clutch to check it out?

Thanks

kite
17-09-2009, 03:32 PM
The clutch switch is about £15, cheaper than a new clutch/flywheel.
to check if the clutch is slipping try pulling away in 2nd with the handbrake on.
Have a read http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79398&highlight=clutch+switch

EJC
17-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi Kite
I've tried pulling away in 2nd with the handbrake on and the engine stalls.
Did this a few times - giving it a bit more welly each time and it still stalled
Slight whiff from the clutch after the last try.

So I guess the clutch is still reasonably ok.

Can you tell me what the clutch switch does and exactly where it is located? I had a quick look around the pedals and didn't see anything.
The main dealer wasn't volunteering any info on it.

Thanks

kite
18-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Clutch switch sends info to the ECU, tells the car the clutch is dis-engaged.
I never changed one myself, but reading around the forum it looks like a fiddly job.
Switch should be near the top of the pedal, you might have to remove the dash lower trim to get at it.