PDA

View Full Version : Question To Grille Badge or Not To Grille Badge

Sportwag
15-09-2009, 09:42 PM
As the B8 does not have an S-Line grille badge (fwd), I purchased a B7 S-Line grille badge off eBay but am undecided whether to fit it - I have attached a picture (it is not fitted yet), what do you think :confused:

This is not misrepresenting the car (unlike the SE model I saw on Saturday with an S4 badge fitted) - this is an S-Line!

The Polisher
15-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Personally, I think yes.

I have been thinking about doing the same to mine........ could you send me the link to show me which one to buy?

Or, if you decide not to fit yours, I'll buy it off you.... name your price!

Sportwag
15-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I bought this one (but there are others) - not amazingly confident about the two metal clips so will probably use some 3M tape for extra security.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-S-Line-Front-Grill-Badge-for-A4-Genuine-NEW_W0QQitemZ230377050040QQcategoryZ10372QQcmdZVie wItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSI%252 BSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BRTQ%252BUA%252BFICS%252BP%252 BUFI%252BIIUM%252BIA%252BIEW%26otn%3D38%26po%3DLVI %26ps%3D54

pitch3110
15-09-2009, 10:45 PM
IMO having lived with a B7 S-Line for 3 1/2 years, the B8 S-Line just looks naked without the grill badge.

And its not that I am a closet S4 or squat lover.

Thumbs up vote, deffo.

Ta

spellsinger
15-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Can someone enlighten me what the standard B7 S-Line grill badging is/was with a Quattro?

Mike

Mr_Meeks
16-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Definetly i did the same with my B6, looks much better with it on althought i found the badge quite tricky to fit with the clips

Hippogriff
16-09-2009, 09:56 AM
For the eagle-eyed(!) spotters who look for more obvious things than bright white LED DRLs, like chrome exhausts and wing badges and suchlike, isn't putting a B7 S line bade on the front grille, when the B8 doesn't have this, going to make some people think that you've got a B7 and not a B8?

Certainly, it adds confusion... aesthetically it is pleasing... but it's "non standard" so coming up behind someone eagle-eyed they could think you are driving a B7, or no?

Also... it's added cost, however little. Just my two-pennies. I think there is consensus that everyone likes the front grille badge... greatest pity is that it isn't on by default, really.

sunil1234
16-09-2009, 10:25 AM
For the eagle-eyed(!) spotters who look for more obvious things than bright white LED DRLs, like chrome exhausts and wing badges and suchlike, isn't putting a B7 S line bade on the front grille, when the B8 doesn't have this, going to make some people think that you've got a B7 and not a B8?

Certainly, it adds confusion... aesthetically it is pleasing... but it's "non standard" so coming up behind someone eagle-eyed they could think you are driving a B7, or no?

Also... it's added cost, however little. Just my two-pennies. I think there is consensus that everyone likes the front grille badge... greatest pity is that it isn't on by default, really.

doesnt a b7 look different to a b8 from most angles, especially when in your rear view mirror or viewed from the front?

Hippogriff
16-09-2009, 10:59 AM
doesnt a b7 look different to a b8 from most angles, especially when in your rear view mirror or viewed from the front?

I dunno - went from B6 to B8 myself. It was a question that I was asking, really.

Still... "adds confusion for extra cost and no real benefit" I guess is my view on this.

avant_adam
16-09-2009, 11:39 AM
If you like it then do it. Personally I am in the "Why would you?" camp. I don't suppose anyone cares what trim level of car you bought. Its a new Audi A4 that looks a lot like the B7 audi A4 to the un-inititated.

If you like it then do it and enjoy it. Why care what anyone else thinks? Its such a minor change that I doubt anyone but you or an Audi expert would ever notice. Perhaps that is the point?

B19RAK
16-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I've put one on. I personally think the grill looks a bit naked without it.

ScottyUK
16-09-2009, 05:53 PM

I don't think so. I think it'll make more people think it's a quattro than anything else as you normally just notice a badge regardless of what it says.

Perhaps something more subtle such logos like on the DTM cars would help tell the world it's an S-line?

Here's an example if you're someone considering doing it ;)

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6939&d=1253119933

Soot1e
16-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Definately fit, this was one of the first things I did when I acquired my B8. As others have said the front grille needs the badge.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/Soot1e/ChromeTrims.jpg

Jop
16-09-2009, 10:08 PM
granted it add's something to the front grill.
mines got a quattro badge as standard, so not something i'll be looking into. :p

ScottyUK
16-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Careful!! That could be interpreted as bullying/ridiculing non-quattro owners :(

Tut tut tut ;)

Hippogriff
17-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Careful!! That could be interpreted as bullying/ridiculing non-quattro owners :(

Tut tut tut ;)

That's totally acceptable here, innit? I don't take offence by it, certainly. Also if he has a [quattro] badge as standard, then he is saving money.

kodkod.84
17-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Definitely agree- it should have the badge, guess it's being used to seeing the B7s with the badge so many times.

Sportwag
18-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Badge is on. I used 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Tape (80319) just in case the two little clips left a mark on the grille (and I decide to take it off at any point) - this stufff is used extensively for badges and fittings and so it should hold it securely. Car looks so much better with it (in my opinion) :beerchug:

The Polisher
18-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Just ordered one from that link...............:biglaugh:

pitch3110
19-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Would be good to see more pic's of mouted badges and the position of mounting....
Getting snapping those with a badge fest..........

ta

The Polisher
29-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I ordered one from the original link and I can't see how it should attach to the car...............

Just a flat piece of plastic, which doesn't seem to fit anything!

Help!?!??!

Any pictures (close up) of the correct badge and how it is fitted please?

Sportwag
29-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Did you get two small metal clips (check the envelope as mine were not enclosed with the S-Line badge)? I did not like the clips (sharp grip) and so I attached my badge using some double sided tape (3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Tape) and have not used the clips. the badge is firmly in place - I am very happy with the badge, it really finishes the car (looks sooo much better now) :-)

The Polisher
29-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

Just retieved the jiffy bag from the bin and found 2 metal clips in the bottom!!

Now fitted (I used the clips...... it'll only mark under the badge anyway!)

Looks great!!

(just going to nip out and take a piccie!!)

Thanks Sportwag!

The Polisher
29-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Piccie.

Sportwag
29-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Excellent - it finishes off the car (and looks especially good with Lava Grey). The grille is bare without one!

Hippogriff
29-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I've thought about it and I prefer it vanilla, I think... or should that be ready-salted? ;)

I think it's 'cos I like symmetry... or as much symmetry as possible.

That's probably why I hate tax discs. Well... I'm not a fan of tax either, but it's the lack of symmetry that they cause that really bugs me.

Anyway... I'll leave mine as it, don't need to confuse Audi spotters... what do we call them? Some variant on Twitchers? If it came with it, as standard, then I wouldn't take it off, of course.

Sportwag
29-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I've thought about it and I prefer it vanilla, I think... or should that be ready-salted? ;)

I think it's 'cos I like symmetry... or as much symmetry as possible.

That's probably why I hate tax discs. Well... I'm not a fan of tax either, but it's the lack of symmetry that they cause that really bugs me.

Anyway... I'll leave mine as it, don't need to confuse Audi spotters... what do we call them? Some variant on Twitchers? If it came with it, as standard, then I wouldn't take it off, of course.

How about one for each side of the grill - that way you can keep the symmetry :D

pitch3110
04-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Picked my new badge up last week in anticipation for the new arival.

I ordered a B7 grill badge which has the black backing plate with bits sticking out and some metal clips.

Ho the heck do a) the clips fit & b) how do they fit to the grill.

Pic's are showing that chaps have fitted across the 2nd vertical bar in the grill and tape is suggested.

Help....how have you done this. It may become clearer when I have the car

ta

Sportwag
05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
pitch3110,

The grill seems to look best on 2nd vertical bar (first row above the number plate). You locate the badge and fit the clips from the back of the badge and it should hold it ok - they grip on. In the end I didn't use the clips and used some 3M tape instead and it seems to be holding fine (car is pressure washed weekly).