PDA

View Full Version : 0 - 62... So Slow

73kingstonroad
14-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi all...

I did a couple of 0 - 60 runs today and used the lap timer on the DIS.
The first run was in D with the hand break on to hold the car 8.4 seconds.
The second was in S using my left foot to hold the car 8.3 seconds.
Now this is poor for a car that Audi says can do 0 - 60 in 6.5 seconds.

I'm at 1500 miles now, but I don't think the engine / power is the problem, I think I'm not getting full drive / power in the gearbox. It may be something like clutch slip.
The revs seem to raise faster than the speed until you have got going a bit.

Has anyone else found this in there S tronic car.

Martin

Plife
14-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Interesting to hear that. It may be that Audi's figures are optimistic for the everyday driver! Theirs will be done in ideal conditions by a trained driver (maybe as optimistic as their fuel consumption figures!!) I tried the same thing using VAG COM and did 7.3 for a standard run and 6.5 with bluefin installed. Mine is a manual and I was putting it down to my bad launches, while there didn't feel anything wrong with them the speed seemed to take a long time to start picking up.

Did you have the A/C and ESP on? Both will slow down the 0-60 times.

mkc
14-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Dont they mention that this is for a set amount of fuel in the tank ie less weight aswell. So much could have a say in these figures but over 2 seconds is like 25% slower than what they claim.

I would say that my car is quicker than the figures they have for mine, so perhaps it is the gearbox in yours?

73kingstonroad
14-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I had 1/2 tank of juice and little me at 105Kgs. No a/c and ESP was on (default).
I had no tyre squeel and the first 20mph seemed to take forever.
I'd have been happy with 7 or 7.5 but 8.3 / 8.4 is just poor.
The more I have this car the more i'm disliking it. :mad:

Martin

Come back YY05 XOG all is forgiven, not that you did anything wrong. :biglaugh:

B8 TDI
14-09-2009, 06:02 PM
ESP Should be off, with it on the car will never reach the advertised acceleration

spellsinger
14-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Two other differences with the factory test:

1) The drivers don't care.

2) The car won't be specced up so less weighty - all those electric motors add up.

Mike

2.7 S-line
14-09-2009, 06:39 PM
i did lots of 0-60 runs pre and post bluefin on my car - i found esp off made the runs slower as i lost traction (but my car is FWD) - also made them bloody frightening !

also found warm tyres made a difference as did the road surface - in the end i did most of my runs on a long straight stretch of new tarmac near my house (its a very quiet road :Blush2:) on a sunny afternoon so the tarmac was warm and dry after driving around for a while so the engine and tyres were nice and warm - this knocked at least a second off compared to runs i did on overcast damp days

i found the aircon made no obvious difference - the runs seemed limited by traction rather than horsepower post bluefin though so i suppose in a quattro things might be different

avant_adam
14-09-2009, 11:28 PM
If you have the automatic / DSG version of the car my guess is that there is a launch control built in to the software. A friend of mine had a golf GTI with DSG and that had launch control.

I forget how it was activated (do a quick search and I'm sure it is obvious). One word of caution - the number of launches is apparently logged in the cars ECU and more than a small number (6 I recall) could invalidate drivetrain warranty!!!

This copied from a Golf GTi forum:

1. turn off ESP, select "S"-mode
2. stand with your left foot on the brake
3. at the same time floor the throttle with your right foot (rpm won't get over 3000/min)
4. when u want to start, release the brake, and at the same time try to "lift up" your right foot a wee bit to avoid wheelspin without lifting it up to much (this maybe will need some time and practice)

I've no idea of whether the same logic is included in the audi gearbox but I've no reason to think it doesn't. I have a manual so can't check.

Good luck - Let us know how you get on with the launch mode... :biglaugh:

73kingstonroad
15-09-2009, 07:40 AM
If you have the automatic / DSG version of the car my guess is that there is a launch control built in to the software. A friend of mine had a golf GTI with DSG and that had launch control.

I forget how it was activated (do a quick search and I'm sure it is obvious). One word of caution - the number of launches is apparently logged in the cars ECU and more than a small number (6 I recall) could invalidate drivetrain warranty!!!

This copied from a Golf GTi forum:

1. turn off ESP, select "S"-mode
2. stand with your left foot on the brake
3. at the same time floor the throttle with your right foot (rpm won't get over 3000/min)
4. when u want to start, release the brake, and at the same time try to "lift up" your right foot a wee bit to avoid wheelspin without lifting it up to much (this maybe will need some time and practice)

I've no idea of whether the same logic is included in the audi gearbox but I've no reason to think it doesn't. I have a manual so can't check.

Good luck - Let us know how you get on with the launch mode... :biglaugh:

I had a GTI with DSG and LC and it was quick a lot quicker than my A4. I have tried doing the same but as I understand it the new S Tronic has a few things missing LC been one of them. The other was been able to hold the + paddle for 2 seconds which returns the S tronic from Manual to full Auto when full Auto has been interrupted using the paddles on the Steering wheel.

My car is in Audi on Wednesday having a Engine software update that may cure a few problems. Lack of power may be one of them.
I have also been on with Audi UK and told them of my disappointment with the car and that if this update hasn't cured the problem then I want to start replacing parts and if they are not willing to change parts to try and fix the problems I'm having I be looking at handing the car back.

lets see what comes of it then...

Martin

uncleTom
15-09-2009, 09:25 AM
The other [thing missing] was been able to hold the + paddle for 2 seconds which returns the S tronic from Manual to full Auto when full Auto has been interrupted using the paddles on the Steering wheel.

Martin

Yes, I've discovered this too and am discontent about it. If you use the paddles to temporarily change gear (selector in 'D'), there is no way to actually tell it "just go back to fully auto". You have to leave the paddles alone for whatever the timeout is. The manual just says "within a certain period of time". But, depending on conditions, that may not be possible -you may have to change gear again and therefore need to use the paddles and the timeout starts all over again. Shifting the selector to 'N' and back to 'D' is, I believe, not recommended at any speed.

uncleTom
15-09-2009, 10:00 AM
However, I presume that all you need to do is nudge the gear selector from 'D' sideways to manual and back to 'D' again. I haven't tried that though.

MalcQV
15-09-2009, 01:23 PM
It is just a number, somebody under test conditions working for Audi on a few runs obtained the figure. Who knows what condition the transmission was in afterwards.

The way I see it, is it is just a relative figure. Think mine is somewhere around 9.8, I bet I would struggle to get 14 :p.

Just numbers on paper to compare and chat about in pubs and forums ;)

BHP, torque figures I treat the same, does not matter what the paper says, it is about how it feels, the experience not the numbers.

Well it works for me anyway :D

pitch3110
15-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I had a GTI with DSG and LC and it was quick a lot quicker than my A4. I have tried doing the same but as I understand it the new S Tronic has a few things missing LC been one of them. The other was been able to hold the + paddle for 2 seconds which returns the S tronic from Manual to full Auto when full Auto has been interrupted using the paddles on the Steering wheel.

My car is in Audi on Wednesday having a Engine software update that may cure a few problems. Lack of power may be one of them.
I have also been on with Audi UK and told them of my disappointment with the car and that if this update hasn't cured the problem then I want to start replacing parts and if they are not willing to change parts to try and fix the problems I'm having I be looking at handing the car back.

lets see what comes of it then...

Martin

I had an 2.0Tq manual for a day on demo and although a quick motor, it was treacle like compared with wifeys ED30 GTI.

Perhaps Audi are over the top with quoted figures

ta

Fastcar53
15-09-2009, 02:36 PM
There are so many different variables that go into getting a good 0 - 60 time, most of which have already been mentioned this forum.

Weather - Hot day will slow the car down as it needs cold dense air to perform best. Road suface a big part of the process. Tyres hot or cold. Owner which hates there new car after only 1500 miles - you really do need to abuse them to get the best out of them.

I would be sceptical that after 1500 miles whether the engine is as loose as you would think. They have synthetic oil in from new which is there to stop wear. If you want to run an engine in quickly fill it with 100% mineral oil and then change it after 500 or so miles back to synthectic. No idea what it does to a road cars filters and sensors and stuff but it works on race cars.

I dont know how manufacturers do it but I wouldn't be surprised if it done on a rolling road and then they add the aero by maths.

DaveTom
15-09-2009, 08:43 PM
.......... I would be sceptical that after 1500 miles whether the engine is as loose as you would think...........

Absolutely.

This week, mine just got past 11k and suddenly smoothed out, revs better and felt like it had a few more hp as well.

regards
DaveT

avant_adam
16-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I'd be astounded if it were possible to reject a car because you couldn't match the claimed 0-62 time. If it is materially or demonstrably slower than an equivalent car that you presumably test drove and were happy with then I guess you may have a case to reject it.

I bet there isn't a single car that can match its official EU mpg figures, but no-one rejects on that basis.

I've no idea if my diesel meets the performance listed - I expect that it is a bit slower than they claim but in reality its as quick as the car I test drove and agreed to buy on the basis that it had the performance level that I'd wanted. If I'd wanted faster I'd have gone S4 but I didn't want to return to refuelling every few hundred miles as a result.

It will be interesting to see the garage's response to this.

73kingstonroad
16-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi all...

I'd not made my self clear on the problems I'm having.
S Tronic upshifts and surging / pulsing whilst driving at 80.
The fuel economy and 0-60 sprint times have nothing to to with with rejecting the car.

Martin

ScottyUK
16-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I'd be astounded if it were possible to reject a car because you couldn't match the claimed 0-62 time. If it is materially or demonstrably slower than an equivalent car that you presumably test drove and were happy with then I guess you may have a case to reject it.

I bet there isn't a single car that can match its official EU mpg figures, but no-one rejects on that basis.

I've no idea if my diesel meets the performance listed - I expect that it is a bit slower than they claim but in reality its as quick as the car I test drove and agreed to buy on the basis that it had the performance level that I'd wanted. If I'd wanted faster I'd have gone S4 but I didn't want to return to refuelling every few hundred miles as a result.

It will be interesting to see the garage's response to this.

Not quite - In the States Audi have a big reputation for understating performance figures and claimed BHP.

Their magazines get the cars going a lot quicker than stated. i.e 0-60 for a 2.0T is published at around 6.5 and the US magazines are getting it sub 6.