PDA

View Full Version : Golf - Window dropped into driver's side door!

Rachel
21-04-2007, 08:46 PM
:aargh4: The window on the driver's side of my Golf has dropped into the door!!

Green Flag came out and have jammed the window shut for now - luckily the glass didn't shatter. He tell's me that the mechanism needs replacing??

Does anyone know how much this is likely to cost??

Rachel.

tomgolfnut
21-04-2007, 09:15 PM
probably around £120 for a genuine part. it is likely to be the cable that has snapped.

Rachel
23-04-2007, 09:04 AM
I have been quoted £223.84 from a Volkswagen dealer!

Col
23-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Euro Car Parts do a regulator repair kit.

I've very recently had to replace mine on the Passat as the cable snapped.

Cost about £55.

And is a bit of a fiddle to fit yourself but not impossible.

Also, although I read your post about 10 seconds ago but now can't see it as I reply and can't remember what car it is... If it is a Golf, the plastic clips that hold the glass in position snap and if your lucky you may get away with just replacing those. Beware though, VW quite often say that the repair kits don't exist and try and flog you the whole lot as you've been quoted. This is all theoretical anyway as I'm assuming the regulator cables are ok, they might not be.

My advise would be to give Euro Car Parts a ring and see what they have got. Also do a search on here + google etc for window regulator failure / how-to fix as it is a very common problem and there is loads of info and guides on line on how to sort it.

Good luck.

Rachel
23-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I have now been quoted £150 fitted. As I can't do this myself I will have to pay it but what a difference in what I was quoted by the dealer.

I am taking it to an independent garage who eventually sorted out my lambda sensor problem last year!

shemps
24-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I had the same problem with my mk1V golf...3 times!
It was the plastic clips that hold the window in place. When you have it fixed, make sure they replace the pastic clips with metal ones or it will just happen again.

spenhog
24-04-2007, 03:23 PM
:aargh4: The window on the driver's side of my Golf has dropped into the door!!

Green Flag came out and have jammed the window shut for now - luckily the glass didn't shatter. He tell's me that the mechanism needs replacing??

Does anyone know how much this is likely to cost??

Which Mk is your Golf?

I had a bora and had the same problem, it was the window regulator had broken its a common fault on them. I would get your self onto eBay and have a look on there my mates Mk4 Golf has the same problem but passenger window I got on there and got him one for about £30/£40 plus p+p. Its not an easy job to do though, you will need to strip the door down completly.

Hope this helps

Gareth

Swanny130
24-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi, glad it's not just me this happens to, actually it's really common, it happened to me twice and it was easy to fix, parts cost £42 from GSF parts, if you know anyone with basic technical skills it's much cheaper, it took me about 2 hours, hope this helps

Swanny

Rachel
24-04-2007, 03:58 PM
It's a mark 4.

I don't actually know anyone that would fit it for me so will have to take it to the garage.

Will the part not be under warranty if it happen to break again??

Rachel.

shemps
24-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Mine was out of warrenty the 1st time it happened so I paid. But on the 2nd and 3rd occasions VW paid as the work they had done had failed.

Rachel
26-04-2007, 03:25 PM
The garage have now fixed my window. They tell me that this hasn't gone in the usual place and that the plastic runner had snapped? He tells me that this is unusual and he has only seen it a few times.

Has anyone else had this problem and is it likely to happen again?

Swanny130
27-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree with shemps, ensure they fit metal clips or it will just fail again, I'm not sure about mk3 golfs but the mk4 clips were upgraded a few years ago, they shouldn't break again but ask just incase.

Swanny130
27-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Oops, didn't see your last post, as far as I know from doing the job myself all the crappy plastic runners and clips were replaced with metal, they are one piece and should be fine now.

a1alan
28-04-2007, 12:13 AM
hi racheal
it may be worth taking the car to an independat windscreen company to have a look at ....i worked for such company for 10 years ..this sort of problem was usually fixable ...you never know and it may only cost you a drink for the fitter.... good luck;)

doh !!!! i see youve had it fixed ah well ....

g_jardine
28-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi,
New to the forum and was wondering if there's anyone that can help me with a problem I have right now.
I have a MkIII 5 door Vr6 with a Volkswagen total closure alarm, and last week the electric windows stopped working from all the switches, but still work with the alarm (both opening and closing). Had a look at the fusebox, but there does not seem to be a fuse for the windows, so reckon it can't be that...does anyone have any ideas, or had similar problems?

Thanks

tomcom1
13-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Rachel, hope you got the prob' sorted...I too have this problem with the door window disappearing, however, I drive a mkv golf and have stripped the door down to get at the mechanism. There is a steel inner skin welded onto the inside of the door!. I don't really think there is enough manouvreability to get at the inner-workings and suspect I may have to approach a garage to do this work?? Any ideas anybody....your feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

tomcom1