PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan fuse location

Dacabbie
21-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know where the fuse is for the radiator,the manual says to check it as the car is overheating but does not say where it is.Any ideas would be great thanks to all of you. It is a vw passat tdi 130 .02 plate.

clint
22-04-2007, 09:11 AM
it should be in the main fuse box,its 20 amp

Lex Luthor
22-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know where the fuse is for the radiator,the manual says to check it as the car is overheating but does not say where it is.Any ideas would be great thanks to all of you. It is a vw passat tdi 130 .02 plate.

The electric fan should run all the time the climate is on.
At this time of the year in the UK, overheating will not be caused by the e-fan not running, remember there is a viscous fan as well.

If it is not running then the most likely problem is with the fan itself.
Test by reading its motor resistance from the connector panel near the PS reservoir. The connector with the two thickest wires is the one you want.

If that is ok then the next most likely candidate is the resistor plate that controls the speed of the fan. Test by disconnecting the radiator thermal switch, lower ns of the rad, and short each pair of wires in turn, 1-4 and 2-3. One pair runs the fan at full speed and the other runs at slow speed. If it only does full speed then the r-plate is duff.

The fuses for the fan are under the dash, above the driver's feet, and almost inaccessible :-(
You need to drop the lower dash off to see them: two screws on the end near the main fuse panel and two hidden in the cubby holes.
As I recall there is a 5 amp fuse for the relays and 40 amp for the fan itself.

You can tell I have just had problems with mine can't you :biglaugh:

Dacabbie
22-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for that ,when my hubby gets up he will go and have a go I expect,so fed up with car going wrong now.He is a cabbie and it always plays up on his busy nights,he needs a mobile mechanic livving in his home.Cheers and have a good day.:beerchug:

Dacabbie
22-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I am in the process of doing as suggested but am wondering if the fact that I have an oil leak coming from the oil filter area has anything to do with it,anymore suggestions please (to stop the leak) So need to get this problem sorted .Thanks.:(