PDA

View Full Version : Fustrated jetta owner....AAAGGGHHHH

jetta girl
21-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Hello all, i need your help with an insurance matter, i'll just start fronm the begining, in december of last year i stupidly drove my beloved MK2 jetta gti 1.8 8v (mint cond) into the back of a parked car, stupid i know, but i still managed to blame the other driver for parking in a stupid place, 1/2 on pavement on a junction. Anyways claimed off my insurance, and what have you and the engineers report on car valued it at £1500.
Im now with another insurer and a bloomin lorry hit my car whilst i was parked (Ironic, i know) £728 of damage to my car. Anyways my insurance company have valued the jetta at........£400 ?????? and thus written it off and had the nerve to arrange a salvage lorry to pick it for scrap in the next 10 days, No-way hosay.
So what im basically asking is if you were to purchase my car what would you say it was worth, It's a mk2 jetta gti 1.8 8v metalic grey, big bumpers, fogs, a golf gti front end, (still have a jetta front end in the loft, just fancied a change!) standard good cond interior, exterior in excellent cond, a full respray 8 years ago, fully allarmed and imoblised, remote locking, tsw alloys, a mean looking car that goes like S**t .
Any ideas, i just want to prove the insurance company wrong.
Thanks

Eshrules
21-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Hello all, i need your help with an insurance matter, i'll just start fronm the begining, in december of last year i stupidly drove my beloved MK2 jetta gti 1.8 8v (mint cond) into the back of a parked car, stupid i know, but i still managed to blame the other driver for parking in a stupid place, 1/2 on pavement on a junction. Anyways claimed off my insurance, and what have you and the engineers report on car valued it at £1500.
Im now with another insurer and a bloomin lorry hit my car whilst i was parked (Ironic, i know) £728 of damage to my car. Anyways my insurance company have valued the jetta at........£400 ?????? and thus written it off and had the nerve to arrange a salvage lorry to pick it for scrap in the next 10 days, No-way hosay.
So what im basically asking is if you were to purchase my car what would you say it was worth, It's a mk2 jetta gti 1.8 8v metalic grey, big bumpers, fogs, a golf gti front end, (still have a jetta front end in the loft, just fancied a change!) standard good cond interior, exterior in excellent cond, a full respray 8 years ago, fully allarmed and imoblised, remote locking, tsw alloys, a mean looking car that goes like S**t .
Any ideas, i just want to prove the insurance company wrong.
Thanks

unfortunatley, insurance companies can't and never will be able to take into account how well the car has been looked after, nor how good an example of the car it is... they can only base their values on the used market and standard depreciation calculations.

im afraid their decision is usually final, unless you can get a second valuation to prove them wrong, unsure how you would do this though.

the alternative is to request salvage rights... have you discussed this with your insurance?

jetta girl
21-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Will definatly keep the car, as it's been in the family for 11 years, i have managed to get hold of the original engineers report that valued it at £1500, and have a few classifed ad printouts for similar cars for sale at over £1000. But the thing is, is that my hubby is in the trade and nowhere in any book price guides is my car listed (glass's, Parkers, cap Blackbook ect ) so they only have the current market to go on. Hopfully they will see sence.

jetta girl
21-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Have a look at my thread in "Chat-just to talk about cars", you guys might just be able to help me, i really cant write it all down again in this forum. Its got AAAGGGHHH!!!!!! in the title, you cant miss it!
Thanks

Eshrules
21-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Will definatly keep the car, as it's been in the family for 11 years, i have managed to get hold of the original engineers report that valued it at £1500, and have a few classifed ad printouts for similar cars for sale at over £1000. But the thing is, is that my hubby is in the trade and nowhere in any book price guides is my car listed (glass's, Parkers, cap Blackbook ect ) so they only have the current market to go on. Hopfully they will see sence.

2 things.. i've merged the 2 threads for you :beerchug:

secondly, if general market conditions mean that your car is worth around £1000 and the assessor has valued it @ 1500, you need to ask the insurance how they have arrived at their value, remember, you dont have to accept their offer.....

we had a similar issue around 3 years ago with the first horsebox i restored, paintstakingly restored the 30 year old truck and box, repainted and refitted. was worth around £3500, before someone burnt it out for us. only because we had kept pictures and reciepts could we prove the value of the vehicle and contest the first pitiful offer of £600 from the insurance! persevere chuck ;)

jetta girl
21-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the merge thingy.

The first ins company valued the car at £1500 for the first accident
The second "new" ins comp have only valued it at £400 for the second accident only 4 months after the first. certainly will fight all the way, even if i only get enough to repair the car will help. I was offered £1100 for my car last summer, but the guy was Jetta mad and im my opion a bit biased!!

Phat_vento
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
insurers should take into consideration the condition of the vehicle when some twa* drove into me mk2 gti they went on the glass's guide but cos of the condition i proved it was worth an extra 800£ more than what they offered and they upped the payment! my insurance company told me to get some proof of what its worth which i did an autotrader search for cars same condition and mileage and that aren't stupid distance away picked the most expensive ones and sent it in to em!!

tuckinmk2 gti
22-07-2008, 11:37 PM
u should give me the badges off the car if they are still there

16v mad
25-07-2008, 01:39 AM
after a women driver and two bumps,,exactly how much do you think this car is goin to be worth,may be ok on a fairground as a dodgem