PDA

View Full Version : Own Car Servicing

dogbolter47
21-04-2007, 03:26 PM
:1zhelp: New to site and have a general query although help with my how to access and change oil filter on my polo 1998 1.9 CL Diesel would be great.
I've owned this car from new and always had it serviced by a main dealer but since the vehicle is now getting a bit tatty, I've deceided to tackle the service myself as I used to many moons ago but it appears that manufacturers make it as difficult as possible for Joe Public to tackle these former easy tasks.
My handbook does not give any indication on how to do a service or where the oil drain plug is situated (although I've read somewhere that ther isn't one!) or how to access the sump guard but just looking at how compact everything is situated, it looks like VW don't want you to tackle these jobs!!
I'm hoping to tap peoples brains on how easy a job it is and apart from buying a Haynes manual which I will probably have to do, if there is anything on the web showing the procedure.
Many thanks

RichieVWV6
21-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi There,

I cannot offer specific advise on the Polo (i've never owned one) but I would really recommend a Haynes manual to help you. I always do the routine servicing of all my cars and find the manuals a great guide to help you get all the servicing items done (ie greasing door pins etc etc). Well worth the £14!!!

I would recommend everyone with a little mechanical know how to give it a bash if they have the time and the tools.

Hope that helps,

Regards

Richard:D