PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Seat Ibiza Chill 1.4 Misfiring

funkysi
09-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi All,

I hope you can help....

My girlfriends has a Seat Ibiza Chill 1.4 on a 51 plate (Mk2)
After a 'service' in December last year it began to drive a little 'lumpy', so soon after she returned the car back to the garage where they suggested changing the HT leads and spark plugs.

From what I understand, 'lumpy' meant that it would occasionally misfire, the engine light would come on and it would go into limp mode (until ignition was turned on/off)
The parts were changed by one of her friends, they also changed the coil pack (all parts from GSF)

The car still didn't seem to run right, and progressively got worse.

She took the car to another garage when the car was really starting to struggle, and they found that compression was down on 2 cylinders.

The car was then booked in last week, and upon removing the head found 2 very bady damaged outlet valves (burnt to a crisp and cracked)....
The spark plugs were checked and found to be for a SEAT TOLEDO...oops GSF ;-)

Anyhoo....the valves were replaced and the sparkplugs replaced.

Using the garages diagnostics it still showed a random misfire code and misfires in 3 of the 4 cylinders....back to the original fault again !

I had a look last night using VCDS and found the same (see attached log)

I suspect a 'timing' issue as all of the ignition components have now been replaced.
Also a injector problem would probably only be specific to one cylinder.

She told me last night that when she bought the car, about a year ago, it had been serviced and the mileage was around 85K. Not sure if the cambelt was changed at that time.
It's now on 125K, and she hasn't replaced the cambelt in this time.

My theory is that the cambelt is worn, causing a 'timing' issue causing the alarm codes, and cylinder damage.
I think this because she says it only goes 'lumpy' when decelerating (around 2500 - 3500 rpm), my thinking is that the tension on the cambelt would be off and if worn could throw the timing out.

Apologies for the huuuuge explanation, but she's at her wits end.

Any suggestions / discussion would be greatfully received :-)

Thanks

FunkySi

towcestervag
09-09-2009, 06:33 PM
if the cam timing was out it would throw up different codes usually
when they done head work did they use the correct sealant on the cam cover
check to see if oil in plug holes
also check egr operation using your vag com
poss clean out and make sure it is free
also check for air leaks from inlet manifold

funkysi
10-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your quick reply.

I agree, with you on the cam timing yes.

My girlfriend is away for a week now, so I will check for oil in the plug holes, the egr and for air leaks when she is back.

Last night the car broke down, stayed in limp mode all the time and kept stalling, so I deffo need to get the vag com back on it.

Can't be sure if the garage used the correct sealant on the cam cover, it wasn't a dealer either...

Thanks again, I'll post an update as soon as I can get my hands on the car :D

Si

towcestervag
10-09-2009, 08:10 PM
definetly check egr if its stalling intermittant

funkysi
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Are there any good guides on the internet on how to strip down the EGR ?
Had a bit of a google this morning, but didn't find any great ones.

Or should this be a garage job... ?

Si

towcestervag
11-09-2009, 04:17 PM
you cant strip the valve on 1.4 or 1.6
remove valve at front of engine and remove pipe from valve to inlet manifold
clean out valve with chemical and pipe
remove throtttle body and clean also
then you have to reset basics on throttle body group 060 engine hot should say adp run then adp ok
then carry out readiness settings for all idle/activated charcoal filter and egr