PDA

View Full Version : Please Help DLR's on A4 B8

clive marshall
08-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi I have just bought an A4 Avant 2.0 TDI and hated the lights so changed to xenon - great. Now, how do I change the DLR's to bright led bulbs - I have taken the lamps out but cannot see where to change those bulbs. The handbook says take to a dealer?

HELP please. Thansk a lot. CLIVE.

PS this multitronic car is great - on an M11 trip on cruise control at motoway speeds - 62.1 MPG!!!!!

Plife
08-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I would expect that you would have to change the whole headlight to get the S line look!

Jop
08-09-2009, 05:58 PM
PS this multitronic car is great - on an M11 trip on cruise control at motoway speeds - 62.1 MPG!!!!!

Cant comment on the headlights, but that is $hit hot!

ScottyUK
08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Can't helop either but that's impressive mpg :beerchug:

p.s. DRL's not DLR's ;)

clive marshall
08-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys but there must be a way to do this and make it look good without replacing the units. It was one of my compromises having sold my S6 and so I ended up with no quattro and no xenons - yea I know next time sort yourself out. I need to find out how to get into those units to change the light source.

CLIVE

bez101
08-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys but there must be a way to do this and make it look good without replacing the units. It was one of my compromises having sold my S6 and so I ended up with no quattro and no xenons - yea I know next time sort yourself out. I need to find out how to get into those units to change the light source.

CLIVE
u can get in them u need to put in a warm oven melt the glue that holds the lense pick away till the fronts off crude way but works iv done it a few times but what are you gona put in them to make the DLR ?

clive marshall
08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Well I though the light source must be tungsten so replace it with LED - NO?

pitch3110
08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
PS this multitronic car is great - on an M11 trip on cruise control at motoway speeds - 62.1 MPG!!!!![/QUOTE]

Get that one on 'my fuel economy is $hite' thread'

pitch3110
08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Hows the 2.0TDI and multi generally and what is fuel consumption like overall?

ta

clive marshall
09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, I am coming form 17-20 mpg on my S6 and fiercesome performance. So I entered all this with some trepidation. Trust Audi is all I can say -my only mistake was not to have Quattro which I will remedy in 3 years time.

The car performs very well indeed with loads of torque between 1500 and 2500 rpm. The multitronic takes a few drives to get used to if you have been used to autos with torque converters. On take-off, as you release the footbrake the drive takes up and acelleration is wheel spinningly quick. If you don't allow those fractions of seconds for take-up then seems to think about things before launch. It is very very smooth indeed. My critisism of the programing of the autobox is when sport is selected, it wants the engine to rev to 4000 rpm which is a bit pointless - best to keep it in Drive or use the tiptronic - BUT remembering to change quickly as the 'changes' are only computer emulations.

Fuel consumption is astonishing. I drive hard and fast and my German trip of 3000 plus miles over the Alps and back on Autobahns gave over 45mpg. And you saw my note on the M11 run with over 62 mpg using only cruise. Cruise is crucial to excellent fuel consumption but this engine seems better at 80 ish - my recent trip to Yorkshire was 52mpg.

Oh and I've chipped it with a Spider!

Hope this helps. CLIVE

pitch3110
09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Well, I am coming form 17-20 mpg on my S6 and fiercesome performance. So I entered all this with some trepidation. Trust Audi is all I can say -my only mistake was not to have Quattro which I will remedy in 3 years time.

The car performs very well indeed with loads of torque between 1500 and 2500 rpm. The multitronic takes a few drives to get used to if you have been used to autos with torque converters. On take-off, as you release the footbrake the drive takes up and acelleration is wheel spinningly quick. If you don't allow those fractions of seconds for take-up then seems to think about things before launch. It is very very smooth indeed. My critisism of the programing of the autobox is when sport is selected, it wants the engine to rev to 4000 rpm which is a bit pointless - best to keep it in Drive or use the tiptronic - BUT remembering to change quickly as the 'changes' are only computer emulations.

Fuel consumption is astonishing. I drive hard and fast and my German trip of 3000 plus miles over the Alps and back on Autobahns gave over 45mpg. And you saw my note on the M11 run with over 62 mpg using only cruise. Cruise is crucial to excellent fuel consumption but this engine seems better at 80 ish - my recent trip to Yorkshire was 52mpg.

Oh and I've chipped it with a Spider!

Hope this helps. CLIVE

That sounds great Clive.

Question Time...............

Why Spider???
Have had experience of the product in the past?
Fitting...easy enough?
Have you removed it at all for servicing?

ta

Paul

clive marshall
09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Paul - Spider because it is specifically tailored to the car and is easy to fit - unplug the engine sensor, plug that into the Spider 'in' loom and connect the Spider 'out' loom to the engine, job done. I can send you a pic if you want. It can be de-mounted at any time and this should be done for servicing purposes, although my Audi Dealer does not mind at all. If you have the ECU reprofiled then when the Dealer services the vehicle the mapping can be reset to standard which means a visit to your 'chipper' for re-mapping. So, I chose the spider.

Why Spider - my son did a lot of research before buying a Fabia and Spider came out the tops for any VAG vehicle. It has actually popped the car up to 190 bhp and improved the economy.

Let me know if I can let you have any more information. CLIVE

pitch3110
09-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Paul - Spider because it is specifically tailored to the car and is easy to fit - unplug the engine sensor, plug that into the Spider 'in' loom and connect the Spider 'out' loom to the engine, job done. I can send you a pic if you want. It can be de-mounted at any time and this should be done for servicing purposes, although my Audi Dealer does not mind at all. If you have the ECU reprofiled then when the Dealer services the vehicle the mapping can be reset to standard which means a visit to your 'chipper' for re-mapping. So, I chose the spider.

Why Spider - my son did a lot of research before buying a Fabia and Spider came out the tops for any VAG vehicle. It has actually popped the car up to 190 bhp and improved the economy.

Let me know if I can let you have any more information. CLIVE

Ta clive, would be good for info and a pic.

kite
09-09-2009, 02:28 PM
A quick google....http://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/

clive marshall
09-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Here is the pic - nice and neat and easy to install and uninstall. CLIVE

clive marshall
09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Maybe this is better - larger. CLIVE

pitch3110
10-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Is that the little bag thingy..........

If so looks neat enough

clive marshall
10-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Yep - the little bag thingy is fixed where it is easy to get to and you can trace the loom to the front of the engine where the engine sensor is and then back to the thingy. It is very neat indeed and easy to fit as you can see. CLIVE

leehal
10-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I take it if you install a Spider, remove it for a service the dealer will know you have had one fitted from his computerthingymajiggy?

clive marshall
10-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Nope - so long as you leave the car for 15 mins after you have removed the key before you remove the unit then it is not detectable. Same when you re-install. CLIVE

ScottyUK
10-09-2009, 10:36 PM
According to those in the know, the peak boost, peak torque etc is recorded so removing the magic box will still leave evidence of the tweaking.

clive marshall
14-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Hmmm - well if that is the case, will the dealer know what he is looking at? And why check? Am I bovvered - nope. Dealers now seem to be populated by 13 year olds who know-nothing. But, the car is going in tomorrow because I am concered about the steering which is VERY heavy. See if they notice the Spider?

CLIVE

ScottyUK
14-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I totally agree with you but I just wanted to ensure you have got false confidence that it was undiscoverable ;)