PDA

View Full Version : I put break fluid in power steering resevoir

nickeym1
08-09-2009, 03:50 PM
hey fellas done something really stupid and am ashamed of myself but here goes anyway i went to vw dealer to get power steering fluid and got talking to the guy about my squealing breaks and to cut a long story short i ended up with break fluid and i put some into the power steering fluid resevoir not much though i did realise before i put too much in.

I noticed the the normal power steering sound is noisier and feels a little different too so i brought to a mechanic and he looked at how much was left in the break fluid bottle and said i probably didnt put enough in to make a difference i told him it sounded a bit noisy but he locked steering and didnt really make any noise. And he said maby i just thought it was noisier since i put it in and i thought maby he was right but when drivng home i noticed it definetly does soud noisier.

Can someone STEER me in the right direction as to what to do here im thinking about draining all the fluid out and filling it up. Is this a big job or what does it involve doing. Thanks in advance for the help

Sam
08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
The two fluids shouldn't mix, I believe one is heavier than the other, so you may be able to skim the top off depending on how much you've put in. If not, then flush, flush and flush.

Had you not driven it, I'd have said you'd have been lucky, but...

Be thankful you didn't do it the other way round (P/S fluid in the brake reservoir)

nickeym1
08-09-2009, 05:04 PM
The two fluids shouldn't mix, I believe one is heavier than the other, so you may be able to skim the top off depending on how much you've put in. If not, then flush, flush and flush.

Had you not driven it, I'd have said you'd have been lucky, but...

Be thankful you didn't do it the other way round (P/S fluid in the brake reservoir)
Well i have driven it about 20 miles roughly. Is it a big job to flush it what do i need to do exactly?

Is it just a matter of disconnecting the two pipes on the side ofg the resevoir and or the side of the pump and letting all the fluid out that way

kenney
08-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I would first empty the reservoir,refill,it and then remove the,return pipe,start the engine and if you run 1 litre fluid through the system,should do the job.

nickeym1
08-09-2009, 05:18 PM
I would first empty the reservoir,refill,it and then remove the,return pipe,start the engine and if you run 1 litre fluid through the system,should do the job.

Cheers mate but can you give me that in newbie terms i am pretty clueless corry

kenney
08-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Detach both pipes on the reservoir,remove the reservoir,and empty what ever fluid is in it.Replace the reservoir,and attach the supply pipe(this is the one that runs to the power steering pump)put the return pipe in a bottle or something,start the engine,and at the same time refill the reservoir,as the fluid is being pumped into the bottle,A litre of fluid should do the trick.

nickeym1
08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Detach both pipes on the reservoir,remove the reservoir,and empty what ever fluid is in it.Replace the reservoir,and attach the supply pipe(this is the one that runs to the power steering pump)put the return pipe in a bottle or something,start the engine,and at the same time refill the reservoir,as the fluid is being pumped into the bottle,A litre of fluid should do the trick.

No prob mate thanks how much fluid will i need to get to do this and refill it

kenney
08-09-2009, 07:39 PM
1 litre

bez101
08-09-2009, 07:42 PM
No prob mate thanks how much fluid will i need to get to do this and refill it

:buttkick:

chris a4
08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
niceym1, tried to p.m u but not enough posts, I managed to suck the bad fluid out with a syringe and a turkey baster thing to m.t the resevoir, then turned the wheels from lock to lock to mt the rack and pump to get the last of it out, not the proper method but 1000 mies on no probs. re fill with the v.a.g fluid only code G 004 000 M2. £7 a litre, some on ebay if your dealers miles away. chris a4.

nickeym1
08-09-2009, 09:05 PM
niceym1, tried to p.m u but not enough posts, I managed to suck the bad fluid out with a syringe and a turkey baster thing to m.t the resevoir, then turned the wheels from lock to lock to mt the rack and pump to get the last of it out, not the proper method but 1000 mies on no probs. re fill with the v.a.g fluid only code G 004 000 M2. £7 a litre, some on ebay if your dealers miles away. chris a4.
Cheers mate i appreciate the reply did you hear any abnormal noise when you drove after you put the break fluid in

ps did you suck all the break fluid out of the resevoir what i mean is did you get all of the fluid out of the car using this method