PDA

View Full Version : WARRANTY

fatblokescanfly
22-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Just posted this on another thread but thought it would be best to draw its own attention as the priority is the warranty.

I have a VW T4 888special Xpack reg 24/12/02 2.5tdi.

I have just had premature oil pump failure with only having done 48000miles, very odd considering I purchased the vehicle new to use as a surf van. So it’s never been used to carry any weight, extremely light use only.

To cut a long story short I reported the fault whilst it was still under warranty as the warranty expired 31/12/05 & the vehicle is now having a new engine fitted. Cost of the replacement approx £4500.

BUT & that’s a big but! There will be no warranty with the new engine!!!! Which really makes me feel uneasy regards owning the van for a further 3yrs, Simply because there is no reason why it wouldn't go wrong again!?

Apparently their policy is that if you pay for work to be done you get a 2yr parts and labour warranty. However if you have work done in the warranty period, it expires when your original warranty expires. Therefore as my warranty has now expired, I have no warranty on the new engine!!!!
Apparently after this period they only work on "GOOD WILL" but that sounds very vague & sounds like if your "face fits" or if you get the warranty guy on a "good day" !

It is a massive weight on my shoulders as I purchased the vehicle in the belief that it would last me longer than any other, with that in mind I put £10,000+ of personal touches to the van, which is obviously dead money when it comes to a sale but not if I keep it.

It’s paid for now but I could never afford that type of a bill £4500.

As they are not the local VW Dealership I've also put £50,000+ worth of business to them through recommendations & they know it! Also to bare in mind is the repeat business of these initial sales.

What should I do?

stuart
22-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi

That warranty procedure appies to almost all items that are covered by a warranty.

The warranty runs from the date of purchase, for a set period of time, whatever that may be. If you have a product repaired or replaced, it carries the remainder of the original product.

For example, you buy a car battery with 24 months warranty, have a problem and get it replaced in month 23...you will have the remainder of that warranty, ie 1 month.

I work in the parts side of vehicles, and this applies to us as well:(

Stuart

fatblokescanfly
22-01-2006, 06:03 PM
So that makes it ok that the engine can go wrong again tomorrow and thats just tuff luck on me?

So if I'm a engine manufacturer (or manufacturer of any product) part of the cost of that product to the customer is R&D,design,TUV approval,overheads etc. Also built into that cost will be the point that if I make 10,000 engines a certain percentage will go wrong!