PDA

View Full Version : Did I turn into...

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
...a nasty, wannabee-superior, overly-fastidious, detail-freak overnight..?

I saw a bright red A4 S line saloon (not cab. or Avant) this morning on the way in to work... LED DRLs (switched on!) and noticed that it did not have chrome exhausts.

This made me feel sorry for him... and it made me feel overly smug. A feeling I almost immediately regretted and told myself off for.

Later, coming home from work (left at 14:00 to go have a drive) I saw an A4 SE saloon with halogen DRLs... I had a wry chuckle to myself as I observed my bright white LED DRLs in the shiny bum of the car sat in front of me (yes, I was stationary at the time).

What a horrible person I seem to have become.

Will I feel inferior and cry if I have the misfortune to see someone in an S4, knowing that they have better seats, needle-sweep, quattro and lots of grunt? Will he feel smug and superior when he sees me in my piece of crap?

Marque-chasing!!!

troc
07-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Will I feel inferior and cry if I have the misfortune to see someone in an S4, knowing that they have better seats, needle-sweep, quattro and lots of grunt? Will he feel smug and superior when he sees me in my piece of crap?

Well, I wasn't intending to, but if you insist..........

:D

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, I wasn't intending to, but if you insist..........

:D

I am already jealous of your high beam assist.

troc
07-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I am already jealous of your high beam assist.

You've got a wife who keeps forgetting to turn main beam off when there's oncoming traffic too?

:beerchug:

It wouldn't be so bad but the Mini has those extra driving lights so our main beam is insanely bright. Roadkill-coookingly so. I feel very sorry for other road-users when she drives at night.......

Plife
07-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Do you think that S4 driver would even notice that ordinary A4 they just shot past :biglaugh:

Jop
07-09-2009, 04:59 PM
...a nasty, wannabee-superior, overly-fastidious, detail-freak overnight..?

I saw a bright red A4 S line saloon (not cab. or Avant) this morning on the way in to work... LED DRLs (switched on!) and noticed that it did not have chrome exhausts.

This made me feel sorry for him... and it made me feel overly smug. A feeling I almost immediately regretted and told myself off for.

Later, coming home from work (left at 14:00 to go have a drive) I saw an A4 SE saloon with halogen DRLs... I had a wry chuckle to myself as I observed my bright white LED DRLs in the shiny bum of the car sat in front of me (yes, I was stationary at the time).

What a horrible person I seem to have become.

Marque-chasing!!!

Me. Sline owner. I know I have the best I could afford, and it's exactly what I wanted.

All I know is, when I see an SE I think.. Its nice, but not what i would order. and to be honest, if i couldn't of afforded my car (sline +spec) I i wouldnt of comprimised with an SE, but rather waited until i was in a position to get the car I wanted.
When I see an S4... I think "maybe next time"

ScottyUK
07-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't care what people think of my car nor do I tend to make judgements on them. I'm of course very happy and feel grateful to be able to have my car but that's about as far as it goes.

Do I look at an S4 and think "if only"? Nope. I took the decision to spend more than a stock S4 on a 2.0T with lots of toys. Could I have spec'ed an S4 the same? Yep but since I wasn't going to use the performance I chose not to.

Others thoughts are there issue and not mine. :approve:

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 06:33 PM
The answer to my question, in starting this thread, is obviously "yes", then.

So I must refrain.

ScottyUK
07-09-2009, 06:37 PM
No no no!

The answer is "carry on but don't be so honest on the internet" :D

Col
07-09-2009, 06:40 PM
You lot are all *****...

.....And should utter such vulgar outbursts in the "Male Chicken Confessional Thread".

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I wanted to somehow get the attention of the red S line owner, get them to stop and inform them that they should have got chrome exhausts with their car... I wanted to tell them that they'd been bilked... I wanted to get their assurance that they'd be straight down to their dealer for what was rightfully their 'extra'... alas, there was a red light and many cars between us by the time he / she had passed on by. They'll live on in ignorance, probably, while dicks like me will notice the smallest thing... and somehow judge.

Red 2
07-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Hippogriff, you are probably just expressing in A4 terms what we all do in many aspects of everyday life....... judge other peoples' objects by those that we own and get that really sad satisfaction of thinking we are somehow better than them.

And sometimes it is so incredibly shallow and materialistic that I want to cringe....at myself half the time!

The smugness fades when one's pride and joy is replaced by the latest uber version (just wait for the tears when details of the A4 mid life update are made public!:biglaugh:) but then you discover just how much you truly like your A4 as a a car and not as a fashion object. And if you can survive the annual model change without thinking your world has come to an end, you are probably well along the path to becoming a normal person again.

Speaks as an owner of an 18 month old high spec SE (gasps of astonishment around the room) chosen for comfort and which, now its flush of youth and novelty value are things of the past, is enjoyed as a superb family car.

But do I not just check out other SEs to spot the Xenons/sunroofs/ chrome exhausts etc...course I do! And I'm just as big a C**k as anyone else for getting satisfaction fron doing it.

Incidentally, had the misfortune to be picked on by Clarckson at a live show....A4 driver with a car whose headlights were like a council estate at Xmas and he wears a Breitling! That put me and my ego firmly back in the box....:D

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 07:44 PM
If I catch myself doing it again I'm going to give myself a mental smack.

Didn't do it with previous cars, and one was an A4.

I was ashamed of the SLK, though... I kept my head down (not that hard considering how low it was)... this A4 felt like a Range Rover when I got in for the first time; don't mind that one bit.

mkc
07-09-2009, 08:06 PM
How old are you all to come up with these comments? I bet you are the kids who use to pick on me at school for not wearing the latest Nikes at the start of the new term. My Mum dropping me off with trousers to short and Gola trainers with 16 feet of shoelaces

People have different amount of money to spend on things that are important to them. I want a S4 and could get one tomorrow but prefer to invest in other things and pay of my mortgage.

Just cause a chap is driving a lesser car I cannot see how someone could feel better than them. He may have more money than you but prefers to spend it on something else and doesnt want people laughing at his headlights and calling him a w%^&ker on the way to work.

How are you going to feel when a A4 with whatever mid life facelift it gets pulls up alongside you next year? :confused:

His SE might have been more expensive to buy than your car. He may have selected enough kit on the inside that took him over the pricelist of a S4. Its wrong to judge without knowing the full facts

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 08:14 PM
'tis all very tongue-in-cheek and a dig at all us marque-chasers who are all of a sudden very pleased with our new purchases. I used to have Hi-Tec trainers / boots at school... those with the comically massively oversized tongues that folded over and the fluorescent green and orange (two separate) pairs of laces.

I thought they were cool... very "look at me", but not as much as LED DRLs. ;)

ScottyUK
07-09-2009, 08:59 PM
I wanted to somehow get the attention of the red S line owner, get them to stop and inform them that they should have got chrome exhausts with their car

You're on your way to redeeming yourself ;)

Jop
07-09-2009, 09:13 PM
very soon this will turn into a "you have to be stupid to buy a new car" thread that were the trend a few months back.

good for you for having the car you want.

kodkod.84
07-09-2009, 09:25 PM
God knows what you think of me in my poor facelifted B6 when you drive past :(

LOL- like I give a ****

All Audi's at the end of the day- the only one I genuinely cringe at is the A3 cab and think- 'you shoulda got a 2nd hand A4 cab' but that's just my opinion.

:biglaugh:

Red 2
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I think the ability to laugh at yourself and your failings is also a good indicator that you are well on the path to redemption.

No one should be criticised for whatever they drive ...but I don't think Hippo was doing that as I think tongues are firmly in cheek and the point was the highlighting of the absurd way that some do look at their/other peoples cars.

On a serious note, I absolutely hate car snobbery but try equating that with how I came to drive an Audi and the psychologists could be kept busy for years...:Blush2::D

Jop
08-09-2009, 08:48 AM
What about comparing performance figures? Is that allowed?

My car is faster than that one,
my car gets better MPG that that one

surely these are the same as "my car looks better than that one"

These are the reasons why we chose the cars we did. If these thoughts/feelings are supposed to end as soon as we take delivery of our motors then whats the point? Why are'nt we all driving around in ford focus's (at least these come with a lock on the glovebox as standard)

IMO my avant looks better than a saloon. Does this make me a snob because im comparing my car to another. No. It just confirms for me that I have the right car for me. And if you (the royal you) doesnt like it, then I suggest you go get an sline avant Sonny-Jim :biglaugh::approve::D:beerchug: :Blush2:;):p(didnt know what one to use)

troc
08-09-2009, 09:12 AM
You are all deluding your-collective-selves. It's quite simple.

I'm right and you are all wrong.
wrong
wrong
wrong
wrong
wrong

That's my unbiased, totally objective view.

What were we talking about again?

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: :biglaugh:

tlionhart
08-09-2009, 10:01 AM

lol yes they would. I have an A3, and i bet drivers in A4's and A5's look at it and say...pppffft!

oh well at least I have chrome exhausts as standard...:( I noticed the A5 cab doesn't have chrome exhausts...only seems to be the A3, Q5 that do. Mind you they arn't expensive to buy/fit.

The one thing I like about my A3, the LED lights arn't standard. So it's like a 'look there's one'. Since owning the car, ive only ever seen 8...whereas everyone who has an Sline a4, gets them.

Im hoping the next generation A3 has the same systems as the A4. (my dads got the new A4 avant and just the tiny things about the cabin makes it feel updated.) Im bored of the old style hand break the A3 uses and the design fault arm rest. Just the MMI screen is cool. I would love an A4, but the car would be too big for me. It's only me who uses it, the rear seats never get used. On top of that, the car just doesn't suit me. A 3-dr hatchback does. My fingers are crossed that the next gen A3 does...hopefully the RS3...now that would put a smug look on my face.

Jop
08-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I agree.
i would love an A3 with interior like the B8
Sweet as!!!