PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using iPod Touch or (iPhone) with AMI?

juniperz
07-09-2009, 02:25 PM
The iPod Touch appears in the compatibility list*, but I seem to remember a dealer warning me that the Touch requires a greater voltage than the Nano or Classic. The suggestion was that it is capable of connecting to play music, but the device battery isn't charged. Which is a bit useless.

Can anyone using a Touch confirm whether or not it will charge?

I have a old Creative Zen that works fine with AMI (it is not on the compatability list) but it only has 2GB storage so I will wait and see what new iPods Apple announce on 9th September. If a Touch won't work, I will think about a Nano or Classic, or just go for the much cheaper alternative of a Western Digital Passport hard drive - I tested a colleagues back-up drive the other day, and it all worked perfectly, including playlists. £47 for 250GB from Amazon, though it is a shame that so little of it will be usable (thanks for the info Hippogriff).

* Link to the PDF for Tested media players/storage media http://www.audi.co.uk/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/uk/Products/technology/pdf.Par.0004.File.pdf

Jop
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
I can confirm iphone 2G and 3G work with the AMI.
on the iphone You are asked to enter flight mode to avoid inference (which you don't have to do)

iphone is my primary phone and using it with the AMI is a chore. I don't want to have to disconnect and reconnect it each time i leave/enter the car. Instead i opted for an ipod classic 120GB

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
...or just go for the much cheaper alternative of a Western Digital Passport hard drive - I tested a colleagues back-up drive the other day, and it all worked perfectly, including playlists. £47 for 250GB from Amazon, though it is a shame that so little of it will be usable (thanks for the info Hippogriff).

My letter to Audi Customer Services on this topic is winging its way to them courtesy of the Royal Mail... I will, of course, keep the forum up to date with any feedback... even any lack of feedback.

juniperz
07-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I can confirm iphone 2G and 3G work with the AMI.120GB
Thanks. Sorry to harp on, but did you leave it plugged in long enough to establish whether it would charge while playing music? I just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Jop
07-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks. Sorry to harp on, but did you leave it plugged in long enough to establish whether it would charge while playing music? I just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Yep, Ive used AMI to charge my iphone before
I have the Ipod cable with the BLUE boot on the connector.
(2010 model with MMI3G)

juniperz
07-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Yep, Ive used AMI to charge my iphone before
I have the Ipod cable with the BLUE boot on the connector.
(2010 model with MMI3G)
Thanks again Jop - good to know.

Jop
09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
If your still interested in ipod touch. The prices have been cut today by about 5 or 10 % (dependent on model) at the online apple store (http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?mco=NzcwNjc2OQ).
As I understand there is some kind of new product announcement later on today.

This does mean however that tomorrow your new device will be out of date (out of date before it even arrives - great).

juniperz
09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
If your still interested in ipod touch. The prices have been cut today by about 5 or 10 % (dependent on model) at the online apple store (http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?mco=NzcwNjc2OQ).

This does mean however that tomorrow your new device will be out of date (out of date before it even arrives - great).

Thanks - I have been waiting for the announcements as this probably means more capacity for less cash :-)
Though I still might go for a hard disk for less than £50 - the 10 000 track limitation doesn't bother me for just having in the car.
(Though an iPod Touch does open up a whole AppStore full of opportunities...).

spellsinger
09-09-2009, 11:17 AM

The UK prices haven't changed yet, at least for now (typical) - the USA prices have been cut by up to $120, the UK being shafted again?

By the way the prices are currently £165 / £214 / £283 for the iPod touch range - the price cut in the USA has taken the prices to approx £115 / £150 / £170.

Mike

Jop
09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
(Though an iPod Touch does open up a whole AppStore full of opportunities...).

Oh dear.. I've spent far to much on apps. some good, some bad.
all good fun though.

16Keane
09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
By the way the prices are currently £165 / £214 / £283 for the iPod touch range - the price cut in the USA has taken the prices to approx £115 / £150 / £170.

Mike

New prices (8GB, 32GB, 64GB) £149 / £229 / £299

The Classic is now £189 for 160GB.

(An Apple fan - joins an Audi forum to brush up on a new car and makes his 1st post Apple related...! :p)

ScottyUK
09-09-2009, 08:56 PM
I wonder how much 120Gb Classics will be knocked out for? :D

juniperz
09-09-2009, 11:29 PM
New prices (8GB, 32GB, 64GB) £149 / £229 / £299

The Classic is now £189 for 160GB.

(An Apple fan - joins an Audi forum to brush up on a new car and makes his 1st post Apple related...! :p)
Welcome!

Ooh - decisions - I could get the Touch range for £140 / £215 / £280 through a work scheme...
Or a Classic 160GB for £177...
Or a nano 8GB / 16GB for £108 / £126...
Or a Western Digital Hard disc for £47 from Amazon...

It's just to live on the glovebox - the cheap disc would do...
But a Touch is just so cool...

druidt1
10-09-2009, 05:31 AM
Hi,

Have you considered a USB pen drive for this? They are quite cheap and seem to do the job.

I was using my Iphone 3G but kept leaving it in the car. No good.

I then decided to try my USB pen drive which worked perfectly (Corsair 8GB).

juniperz
10-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Hi,

Have you considered a USB pen drive for this? They are quite cheap and seem to do the job.

Not a bad idea, though I would have to buy an AMI-USB cable. My car came with an AMI-iPod cable and I persuaded the dealer to send me an AMI-miniUSB cable after I pointed out that the brochure said (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=390289#post390289) that two cables were included in the option. I don't think I will get another one out of them FOC, so buying a cable at Audi prices plus a large pen drive would cost me more than a huge hard disk that I already have the connectors to use.