PDA

View Full Version : Oil & Filter Change

s0niX
20-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I have had two price quotes on a oil and filter change for the Polo 1.4 TDI PD Engine.

I rang up one company and they said £89 because it could be using some form of "Specail" oil.

I then rang Quick Fit up and they said they would charge me £24 << seems cheap. I asked them if this was the long last oil and they said yes.

How much would i be expecting to pay for this done?

Quick fit pricing is very attractive, but i dont trust there work.

Thanks

Col
20-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I think the dearer quote is the one to go for as the PD engine does indeed need 'special' oil. Using the wrong oil, which at £24 it certainly would be could quickly ruin your engine. Do a search on here + google for PD oil, this endlessly debated.

By the way, have you not considered doing it yourself ?

It is really quite easy or are you after a stamp in the book.

Eshrules
20-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I think the dearer quote is the one to go for as the PD engine does indeed need 'special' oil. Using the wrong oil, which at £24 it certainly would be could quickly ruin your engine. Do a search on here + google for PD oil, this endlessly debated.

By the way, have you not considered doing it yourself ?

It is really quite easy or are you after a stamp in the book.

i agree, anybody could do it for £24 if you buy tescos own motor oil, but for the correct grade pd oil, you're looking at around £80/90

for example,

i recently did a service on my golf (air/oil/fuel/pollen filter, oil change) the oil filter was around £5 and the oil around £55 for 5 litres i think it was.

changing it yourself really isnt hard, even i can do it....

rule of thumb . if it seems to good to be true, it generally is and there is no way on gods earth kwik fit are using the correct oil @ £24