PDA

View Full Version : fuel additives

blacksline
06-09-2009, 09:49 PM
do you guys (or gals) use fuel additives in your car?
if so what one??

i was thinking for putting some stp in my one, but not sure what one.

I've got an 04 A4 1.8T S-Line Multitronic (190bhp)

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

thanks.

Dark Horse
07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Don't use fuel additives but I have the same car and always fill up with Shell V-Power that has a good detergent added (if you look at the petrol filler cap, it says use at least 98 RON fuel).

Shell V-Power amounts to an extra couple of quid per tankful and I get better mileage as well as smoother delivery and more responsive throttle. Needs a few tankfuls for the timing to adjust but is well worth it over the regular stuff I reckon.

Mr_Meeks
07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Don't use fuel additives but I have the same car and always fill up with Shell V-Power that has a good detergent added (if you look at the petrol filler cap, it says use at least 98 RON fuel).

Shell V-Power amounts to an extra couple of quid per tankful and I get better mileage as well as smoother delivery and more responsive throttle. Needs a few tankfuls for the timing to adjust but is well worth it over the regular stuff I reckon.

Dark Horse is Spot on, i too use Shell V-Power instead.

blacksline
07-09-2009, 09:27 PM
i have been using super unleaded from tesco for the past 6mths or more.
seems to be driving a lot better. thanks i'll give the stp a miss.

Dark Horse
08-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Try Shell V-Power, there's usually not much difference between prices for super unleaded and you mind find it runs even better :)

Sometimes the same grade of petrol from other places makes a difference. A lot of people swear by Shell V-Power whereas others find Tesco 99 RON Super Unleaded works better for their car. One bloke I know insists on filling up with BP Ultimate only!

Thorney Motorsport did a series of tests on a BM a while back and concluded Tesco 99 RON Super Unleaded was the best although this was compared aginst the older Shell Optimax 98 RON and BP 97 RON fuels. You can read the report at http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results.shtml

A6TYY
08-09-2009, 04:19 PM
what about v power diesel this stuff any good ? just put redex through my tank now ment to keep the injectors clean for 3000 miles, £15 from halfords.