PDA

View Full Version : AFN Aux Belt Tensioner

OxfordGTI
20-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi All
I have a 97 TDI AFN 110 bhp passat, I recently noticed the tension on the auxilary belt, this drives the alternator and some other stuff. The tensioner does not sit parallel with the belt. Took the car to a garage they say the tensioner needs to be replaced as the bearing is breaking up. They reckon to remove this part you need to take the alternator out as it's secured with an allen bolt behind the alternator. Does anyone have any experiance with this or any ideas?
Any help much apprciated
James

calum
20-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi ,
from memory it's held with three bolts to the front of the engine,that was on a 1.8t petrol engine,but I can't see them changing that for the diesel engine.I looked for a picture on euro car parts but they don't list the part.I do know that it is around £20 for the part.Look for a picture on the net and this should clear things up.Found this website , try a search on there www.tdiclub.com (http://www.tdiclub.com) Hope this helps, Calum.

tomfun
21-04-2007, 11:31 PM
you don`t need to remove the alternator,you have to hold the fan by inserting a special tool or nail, allen key etc,to remove it.Once you have removed the fan the tensioner can be removed,you undo the tensioner with i think an 8mm allen key from behind.If you need any more help let me know,i have replaced my tensioner about five times now,i have never heard of it being a common fault but with mine it is

cmp260
27-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi -this is my forst post so Im not sure if this is the right way to go about things.

I have a 1998 b5 passat AFN.
I'm getting a metallic squaking sound from the serp belt -is it likley to be the tensioner? The serp belt is starting to fray and its only about 6 months old.

If its the tensioner (ribbed pulley type) is it possible to replace by just removing the centre bolt (presumably left hand thread) and putting a new pulley on? -without taking the front of the car off!

thanks

martin1810
27-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi cmp. I don't think your problem is the tensioner. It sounds like the free wheel pulley on the alternator. Try spinning it with the belt off. The pulley should spin freely in one direction and turn the alternator in the other direction.

cmp260
27-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks Martin, Ill give it a try. From the posts above it sounds like this is a common problem. Is is easy to replace? Where would I get the part cheaply? (what is its proper name?)
thanks very much
CMP

martin1810
27-01-2009, 04:27 PM
You need a special spline bit with a spline socket attached to it. Most car factors will know the one. The spline socket holds the pulley while you undo the center spline bolt. Then the pulley comes off. Eurospares or GSF will probably have the pulley and the tool. I don't know if you can do it with the alternator on the car as I prefer to have the alternator on the bench to do it.

cmp260
27-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Just one more thing, before I give it a go:
Is the pulley bolt normal or left hand thread?

-Ive had a thought, do you think it would it be possible to use one of those rubber belt type tools like you use for oil filters to hold the pulley still while using a normal spline tool to undo the bolt? -or is it far too tight?

martin1810
27-01-2009, 09:40 PM
No you can't hold the pulley wheel because the rim free wheels compared to the centre. You need the special tool. From memory the the thread is normal. (I could be wrong. blame old age.)

wacky77
12-03-2010, 10:42 PM
I put instructions on this link on how to do it on a 96A4 and 99A6, both 1.9tdi's so yours will probably be the same-

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=82044&highlight=a6+tensioner

Freewheel pulley bolt is a french/left hand thread (so you can use the nut to tension the spring in its required anti-clockwise direction without the bolt undoing)