PDA

View Full Version : A4 avant waterpump and cambelt failure

michaelahill
20-04-2007, 02:08 PM
This week my lovely 03 reg A4 Avant tdi sport with 43k miles on the clock decided to give me trouble. Apparently the water pump bearings when causeing the water-pump to disintegrate and explode( maybe to dramatic a word) ripping through my cam belt causing damage to the engine.I await i final price for the work but I live in fear. Has anyone else had this problem or can help me understand why a 3 and a half year old car should have such a design fault? I now this is a problem with Passats but is it the same fault with the Audi too? Any comments advise welcome
Michaelahill

Sam
20-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Ouch, at worst you're looking at a new engine.

With it being so close to the warranty period and some 20k miles from the recommended change you may have some grounds with VAGUK.

Keep us informed.

michaelahill
20-04-2007, 02:32 PM
thanks for being so positive! How to i go about things with VAGUk, shall i go through my garage or attempt to contact then direct?
michaelahill

Sam
20-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Look at it this way, when you find out you've been lucky and just damaged your water pump you'll be relieved ;)

Audi UK

Yeomans Drive Blakelands
Milton Keynes
MK14 5AN
England

Telephone: 01908 601016

Or 0800 699888

RickT
20-04-2007, 03:29 PM
contact your local Audi dealer first.. you may be able to come to a deal with just been outside of warrenty..

In regards to Cam-belt and water pump... tell me about it!!! have a read of my post for more information,... luckly my cambelt was fine when the pump knacked!

Its a few pages long but have a quick look through.. theres some photos to the end of the post.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5913

RicKT

purplesweetie
22-04-2007, 11:59 PM
My car had the water pump changed under warranty a month ago.
The car had covered less that 20000 miles.
I read somewhere the Audi use plastic blades in the pump and it is a know failure item.

michaelahill
23-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for your comment, yes I am starting to read about the pump failures.
They havea man from Audi assessing the car today(Monday) to see if they will accept any responsibility for it. Fingers crossed.

michaelahill
24-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Spoke with Dulwich Audi today and they had taken the front off the car. They had originally thought that the camshaft pulley??? had broken taking the water pump, cam-belt and engine with it. If that had been the case then Audi -Germany would have taken full responsibility for it and paid for everything parts and labour (Big Smiles) but of course it wouldnt be that simple to do would it.
So having taken it apart the Audi garage managed to work out that the Waterpump had siezed and disinterated taking the pulley and Cambelt with it.Can any one help explain this? In this case as the waterpump was at fault then Audi would take no responsibility for it and I will have to pay for everything including a new engine which will have to be specially built in germany (no doubt at vast expense ). Apparently, I have a chance that Audi Uk may decide to take responsibility( ummmm what you think!!!) or I can do something about it myself with Audi (and how long will that take with me without a car). I have though used one of my Contacts in the press who has passed on my queiry to Honest John at the Telegraph, so hopefully some advice may come from there, if not I have one other motoring journalist i may turn to. so thats it for Tuesday morning, what will today bring! Actually Tomorrow the car is due for an MOT wonder what the chances are of passing that !!!!

RickT
28-04-2007, 01:58 AM
let us know the outcome.. If you are talking a new engine you are looking at a good few grand including labour chargers at least..

Im surprised it will need a new lump in it.. but i have not looked so cant really comment on the damage..

Let us know how you get on..

RicKT