PDA

View Full Version : Audi 80 - Gauges

msond
19-05-2004, 11:42 AM
I am having problems with the temperature and fuel gauge.

The fuel gauge moves up and down depending on the gradient (up hill / down hill) the car is travelling along. It also always under reads.

The temperature gauge is either not working or reads low.

I could do with some help with what to look at first.

Thanks

stuart
21-05-2004, 02:20 PM
I am having problems with the temperature and fuel gauge.

The fuel gauge moves up and down depending on the gradient (up hill / down hill) the car is travelling along. It also always under reads.

The temperature gauge is either not working or reads low.

I could do with some help with what to look at first.

Thanks
Hi

Sorry for the delay in this reply:o

I would check the following first:-

For the fuel gauge, it could be that the float on the fuel sender in the tank has become porous and is alowing fuel to enter, this would make it heavy and read low or high. It could also just be a faulty gauge or voltage stabilizer on the dash.

The temp gauge could be down to a faulty sender in the engine, or related to the voltage stabilizer.

Cheers

Stu

msond
21-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks for that. I will let you know how I get on.

stuart
21-05-2004, 09:20 PM
No problem, I am here to "try";) and help my members. Please do let me know how you get on.

Stu

stumavin
02-06-2004, 08:38 AM
I am having a similar problem. can anyone tel me where to find the voltage stabiliser on my audi 80 auto 1992. and what does it look like please?

stuart
02-06-2004, 10:53 AM
I am having a similar problem. can anyone tel me where to find the voltage stabiliser on my audi 80 auto 1992. and what does it look like please?
Good morning

Thanks for your input into the site.

I have checked on the VW parts CD, the voltage regulator or stabilizer is a very small square component attached with a screw to the back of the cluster. It has 3 small prongs into the circuit board.

I can put a picture on here tonight if that helps any better from home;)

Thanks

Stuart

stumavin
02-06-2004, 11:39 AM
That would be great Stuart thanks. or you can send the picture direct to me : stumavin@yahoo.co.uk.

stuart
02-06-2004, 11:44 AM
That would be great Stuart thanks. or you can send the picture direct to me : stumavin@yahoo.co.uk.
No problem, I will do a screen shot of the picture, and post it on here, then anyone can veiw it, I hope;)

Is your car the newer shape Audi 80? the one were the front grille lifts with the bonnet? I think the picture is the same, but I will post the correct one.

Cheers

Stuart

stumavin
02-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks Stuart. Yes its the one that the gril lifts with the bonnet. the later one I think.

stuart
02-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks Stuart. Yes its the one that the gril lifts with the bonnet. the later one I think.
No problem mate, will be posted tonight.

Once again, thanks for using this site, and please tell anyone you know about it. The only way I can make it work is with the members help:beerchug:

Stuart

stuart
02-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Both these are for the same car, just different instrument clusters, but the item is the same. I have ringed the voltage stabiliser.

stumavin
03-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks Stuart. I have located the voltage stabilizer and taken a note of the numbers on it. I will now try and get a new one and give it a try. Thanks again and keep up the good work, I will spread the news

Best regards

J Stuart Mavin

stuart
03-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks Stuart. I have located the voltage stabilizer and taken a note of the numbers on it. I will now try and get a new one and give it a try. Thanks again and keep up the good work, I will spread the news

Best regards

J Stuart Mavin
Hi

Thanks for your comments, I hope I can make this site be one of the best;)

I belive the original part number you need is 171919803 cost about £7.50 plus vat.

Please visit again soon.

Stuart

stumavin
04-06-2004, 07:48 AM
Cheers Stuart. I have got a voltage stabilizer coming today hopefully. I will let you know how I get on.
My Audi is a 1992 2.0E Automatic Engine code is ABK, I have been trying to get a workshop manual for it but to no avail. Haynes don't do one, I have got the mitchell one on CD but it does not cover my engine. Can you help?

stuart
04-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Cheers Stuart. I have got a voltage stabilizer coming today hopefully. I will let you know how I get on.
My Audi is a 1992 2.0E Automatic Engine code is ABK, I have been trying to get a workshop manual for it but to no avail. Haynes don't do one, I have got the mitchell one on CD but it does not cover my engine. Can you help?
Hi mate

I have been checking into this, and can think of two possible solutions for you.

The first is have a look at a Haynes manual for a 91-97 A100/A6, although the mechanical may be different, they fitted this engine to that car, and Haynes list a manual for it. Ref HAY0401 I belive.

It may also be worth looking at the following website

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/index.htm

They are based in the USA, but do a lot of original VAG manuals on CD, a bit expensive, but the best you could get.

Hope this helps

Stu

msond
04-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Hello,

I haven't had a chance to look at the problem with the gauges, but I will try next week.

Where would the sender for thr temperature gauge be in the engine bay?

Also, you mentioned to check the voltage stabiliser for both the fuel and temp gauge problems. Are there separate stabilisers? If so, where is the one for the temp gauge?

There is an adjuster button to the bottom left of the fuel gauge. I had a look in the manual and it said it should only be adjusted by Audi Technicians. Could this be set wrong?

I have an Audi 80 Sport 2.0 94 M

Thanks for your help.

stuart
05-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Hello,

I haven't had a chance to look at the problem with the gauges, but I will try next week.

Where would the sender for thr temperature gauge be in the engine bay?

Also, you mentioned to check the voltage stabiliser for both the fuel and temp gauge problems. Are there separate stabilisers? If so, where is the one for the temp gauge?

There is an adjuster button to the bottom left of the fuel gauge. I had a look in the manual and it said it should only be adjusted by Audi Technicians. Could this be set wrong?

I have an Audi 80 Sport 2.0 94 M

Thanks for your help.
Hi

The temperature sender either screws into the cylinder head, or into the water housing that bolts between the top radiator hose, and the cylinder head. These switches will be colour coded, and have different pins. (see attached picture). You would need to speak to your local dealer with the colour/number of pins.

There is only 1 stabiliser for the instrument panel.

I would almost certainly leave any adjustments of the gauge to a dealer, I have never know the gauges needing to be adjusted.

Hope this helps

Stuart

stumavin
07-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Hi Stuart,
I have replaced the voltage stabilizer and all seems fine, guages are working.

The audi stabilizer part No 171919803 £7.60 + VAT is a newer vertion and needs to be inserted back to front ie. the input and output pins are the opposite way pound. but audi have modified the heat sink with a little brass bush. I am interested in electronics and I find that you can actually buy the chip for 29p from RS Components. But you would need to do the modification yourself.

About the manual I am trying to get the one you sujested, Thanks

Stumavin

stuart
07-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Hi Stuart,
I have replaced the voltage stabilizer and all seems fine, guages are working.

The audi stabilizer part No 171919803 £7.60 + VAT is a newer vertion and needs to be inserted back to front ie. the input and output pins are the opposite way pound. but audi have modified the heat sink with a little brass bush. I am interested in electronics and I find that you can actually buy the chip for 29p from RS Components. But you would need to do the modification yourself.

About the manual I am trying to get the one you sujested, Thanks

Stumavin
Hi

Glad you are sorted;) thanks for letting us know.

If you are interested in electronics, RS Components proberbly do all the electronic components you would ever need, at more than a fraction of the dealer price;) just knowing what to do.

I have heard that Bentley publishers are excellent if you want to pay for a genuine manual.

Look forward to being of help again soon.

Stu

stumavin
07-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi
I am sorrt to say that Bentleys don't do a manual for my particular motor either.

cheers

Stuart

stuart
08-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi
I am sorrt to say that Bentleys don't do a manual for my particular motor either.

cheers

Stuart
Must admit, I did'nt check on there site, have a look at the A100/A6, the engine section "should" be the same.

Stu

msond
16-11-2004, 09:07 AM
I have finally got round to replacing the stabilizer.

Unfortanately the gauges are still not working properly.

Using the screw that came with the stabilizer, it was not possible to to get a tight fit, and I was not able to use the old screw. I put a bit of tape around the screw to get a better fit. Could this be a problem.

The stablizer had to get on back to front compared to the old one.

Mohan

stumavin
16-11-2004, 09:13 AM
The metal on the chip needs to be in good contact with the metal plate as it acts as an heat sink. I used a slightly thiker screw on mine. Hope this helps.
Regards

Stu

stuart
16-11-2004, 09:24 AM
As already stated, I think that the metal strip is the earth side of things, so that could be your problem still.

Stu

msond
18-11-2004, 09:28 PM
I will try to find a bigger screw to get better contact.

Mohan