PDA

View Full Version : My consolidated lists of likes / dislikes after the first few days

Hippogriff
05-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi all,

I thought I would try and bring all of my thoughts together, after the first few days of driving - with a nice stretch of motorway thrown in too, as it might be helpful if someone is thinking of buying a B8 A4 - all subjective, of course.

Just so we know what I have... 2.0 TDI Executive S line 143ps... the last Audi A4 I'd come from was a B6 1.9 TDI Sport - both were obviously non quattro and both were multitronic.

So, let's start, might be a bit random... certainly long-winded... sorry.

DRLs: So far - my main like is the LED DRLs. I can't help it - they make the car smile and they make me smile. They're one of the best things about the S line.
Xenons: Brilliant - the first time I've had Xenons and they're worth the price of admission, they really are. I'll never have another car without.
Noise: The quietness for a diesel (at any speed) is still something that I can't believe. It sounds like my friend's (older) petrol BMW.
Steering Wheel and Servotronic Steering: I've got used to this pretty quickly. The S line wheel is a nice wheel (forget about the plastic flappy paddles, I'll never touch them) and feels excellent with the right amount of tactility. The Servotronic steering feels incredibly light to start with, but you get used to it very quickly and then I liked it.
Auto-dimming Mirrors: These are pretty cool and I've never had them before, one of the things that should be standard on all cars, maybe?
Auto-folding Wing Mirrors: These are very nice indeed; good value I think.
Advanced Key: Every car should have this ;) as it makes it just that tad more special - but then, if they did, it wouldn't be special. Ha.
Advanced Key: Locking the car by just pressing your finger on the sensor on any of the door handles is quite cool.
Advanced Key: I thought you had to press and hold the Start Engine button, but it seems just a quick press will start the car.
Bluetooth: Knowing a little bit about how pernickerty Blackberries can be, I was concerned here, but everything has gone swimmingly. The only thing I would say is that I miss the "bing" noise when it connects up... it's no biggie though.
Voice Control: I love this for dialling numbers and for dialling people by their name from the phone - the natural voice recognition (still without any training) is just excellent. The fact that it can dial a number from me saying "Fred Smith Mobile" is amazing, the fact that I can just reel off 11 digits in quick succession is great too.
Cruise Control: I like that when you hold the speed-up / slow-down button it jumps in 5mph increments.
Roller for Mode: I like that I can change my media via the DIS without having to change from Navigation in the main MMI screen by using the roller near the Mode button on the steering wheel.
Digital Speedometer: Very good in the DIS.
MMI 3G: Overall, I do love the system and I am glad I waited especially for it - I also love it at night when it all lights up like a Christmas tree.
Indicator Lights in Wing Mirrors: Nice visual touch; the indicator tick is very low volume..
Dislikes:

Navigation: The voice guidance is terrible in comparison with the RNS-E I had previously. The woman is very clipped and not natural sounding at all. This is a big backwards step I think.
Navigation: I have auto-zoom turned on, I thought that would mean it zoomed in for detail at junctions I needed to be aware of. Normally I drive with the map on at about 100 yards. Noticed on the motorway yesterday, the nav. system keeps zooming out automatically to 2.5 miles (or 1.5 miles, couldn't see pattern) no matter what you just set it to a minute ago - either with the MMI dial or voice command. Might have to turn auto-zoom off.
Navigation: Sometimes when I turn the car on it goes into an "Initialising Navigation" routine, which seems to take a minute or two... I wondered what it was doing here and whether it does it each and every time, or just every now and again.
Rear Window: The view through the rear view mirror out the rear window is quite restricted I feel.
Handbook: I thought the Handbook was stored on the internal hard disk, but it now seems it's on the DVD that comes with the manuals. That's a shame.
AMI: It is a real shame that Audi have shackled the number of songs on an external USB disk to 4,000. There is no point in people buying larger than 40GB drives it seems, as an average 320kbps CBR MP3 file will be around 10MB... 4,000 x 10MB = close to 40GB. Yet, it does seem strange that I have heard (after discussing this in some detail with Audi) that Audi Accessories are releasing an Audi Centenary 250GB drive for use in the AMI with "a capacity for 65,000 songs". I am in the process of writing to Audi Customer Services on this topic and my dealer is very happy for me to do this (shared the letter with her so it wasn't a surprise).
AMI / Media: The AMI devices and the Media stuff should be controllable via voice control too. If the system can recognise almost any destination words and numbers for calling people and phone entries, then I can't see what is so hard about identifying Artists and Albums and Tracks.
AMI / Media: You cannot seem to play video files from a USB disk - which I think is a shame as the system is obviously technically capable of processing video. Just for my own santiy I did check .AVI, .MPG and .WMV but nothing was recognised by the system - I got the "No Playable Tracks Found" message.
DIS: In my B6, I could see the Street Name I was on in the DIS, even if I had no navigation destination set; I found it to be a really useful feature and I cannot do this in the B8.

Thoughts:

Footrest: The lack of a footrest hasn't bothered me so far and I've done some good amount of miles. I thought it would bother me, but there does seem to be a little ridge that I can rest my foot against, so I'm OK with that... you might even call it a footrest. ;)
Trim: There are some pieces of the internal trim that are highly reflective and can be seen (and are quite annoying) in the side windows and the front window.
Tweaks: Really need to decide whether to take the plunge and enable myself to do some tweaking, i.e. LED DRLs on full even when indicating, needle sweep on startup, VIM.
Sound System: I had standard on the previous car and it was fine. This car's standard is slightly worse quality, I think. However, I'd not personally go for B&O in a car - so I'm OK. I've just upped the bass a little bit, set the fader one point to the rear and upped the subwoofer (does it have one?) and I think things sound as good as they're gonna get.

ScottyUK
05-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Auto-dimming Mirrors: These are pretty cool and I've never had them before, one of the things that should be standard on all cars, maybe?
100% agree. Excellant on the last car and now don't work due to rear tint. I'm waiting on Audi.

Cruise Control: I like that when you hold the speed-up / slow-down button it jumps in 5mph increments.
It's great being able to set a speed and wait for the car to catch up. On the last car you had to keep holding it until you hit the speed.

Navigation: The voice guidance is terrible in comparison with the RNS-E I had previously. The woman is very clipped and not natural sounding at all. This is a big backwards step I think.
She's worse than even the 2G MMI. Hopefully they'll improve it as it's definately a backwards step.[/quote]

Handbook: I thought the Handbook was stored on the internal hard disk, but it now seems it's on the DVD that comes with the manuals. That's a shame.
The shame is you haven't read the MMI manual :p I've now uploaded my manual into the car :D On the 2009 car it took forever to run from CD. Now it's totally instant. ;) It also did an upgrade but not sure what version it was on before so if you do it, can you check and advise if there was actually a change. ;)

AMI: It is a real shame that Audi have shackled the number of songs on an external USB disk to 4,000. ....
I am in the process of writing to Audi Customer Services on this topic and my dealer is very happy for me to do this (shared the letter with her so it wasn't a surprise).
Many thanks for going after this as it will benefit a lot of people if it gets resolved. :beerchug:

DIS: In my B6, I could see the Street Name I was on in the DIS, even if I had no navigation destination set; I found it to be a really useful feature and I cannot do this in the B8.
I hoped/expected this to be fixed in 3G MMI but it seems not. :(

Very good review of the points. :beerchug:

My biggest disappointment is that the lights are not full LEDs. The front & rear indicators, fog lights and reversing lights and normal bulbs. I'd forgive the latter two but not doing the indicators is bad.

My other beef is that the Name/directory module doesn't seem to be an improvement on before. I'm still playing with it but since two of us use the car it seems we can't load up details into the car and share them. It's each persons phone plus the things they've decided to store. I'm also disappointed that importing my phone (with many addresses in it) doesn't enable me to Navigate to them. I'll have to get them uploaded in V-card format via USB first .... and do it for me and the wife rather than once.

I may not fully understand the Directory so I'm still playing.

Oh and finally I had P-zero tyres before and now I've got Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tyres. There tyres seem to be great in the dry and wet (according to reviews as I'm yet to push them) but even Dunlop give them 3/10 for winter traction. I'd put them in the summer tyre category rather than All Season :( In fact I think I'll check with Audi that they're meant to be on it.

[edit] I've just found that Dunlop classify them as Ultra High Performance Summers tyres! Not great considering it's now Autumn :(
http://www.dunlop-tires.com/dunlop_euen/tyre_range/car_tyres/uhp/summer/sp_sport_maxx_gt/

It does seem that the P-Zero is also a summer tyre though.

Hippogriff
05-09-2009, 05:25 PM
The shame is you haven't read the MMI manual :p I've now uploaded my manual into the car :D On the 2009 car it took forever to run from CD. Now it's totally instant. ;) It also did an upgrade but not sure what version it was on before so if you do it, can you check and advise if there was actually a change. ;)

Ah! That's why you're here, man, to double-check things for me... I see it now, on page 53 of the MMI manual. I will do the business and report back anything of interest. Just means I will have to take my Revenge Of The Sith DVD out. ;)

ScottyUK
05-09-2009, 05:29 PM
It must go on the HDD but I don't know if it uses the 10Gb of space. Can you check before you do it?

Then again I can't see anywhere to remove it!

Hippogriff
05-09-2009, 05:55 PM
I just got back in from doing it... sorry, couldn't check anything else but the standard version numbers beforehand - and nothing changed by installing the handbook.

I now seem to have versions:

SW - HNav_EU_P0022_D1
Nav. DB - 8R006080884E_ECE 5.8.5
Handbook - 101.562.844.88

...but I didn't / couldn't check anything else I'm afraid! Apologies.

Anyway, the handbook installed correctly - so that means one of my dislikes can now be 100% retracted!

I don't even know how to check for free space on the internal hard disk, is it somewhere via Jukebox or somewhere even more obvious? I've not looked into the Jukebox at all yet.

pitch3110
05-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Thats a super write Hippogriff and even more so as I have a Multitronic 143PS Exec S-Line on its way to me next month.

Can't wait to get my hands on it...........

My S-line B7 has been out with a possible purchaser today and they have just dropped it back and deal done and they are collecting next week which is tops.

On a minus I am having to use one of our Nissan crew cab 4x4 Aventru things till the A4 comes along. Its full of all the toys but as I say.........you can put prada handbag on a pigs shoulder and Laboutin shoes on it........but it is still a pig.

ta again top work matey

Hippogriff
05-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Appreciate that.

Lots to find out still, I'm sure - obviously still finding stuff with the help of folk like ScottyUK - and expect to note further likes and dislikes but have a good enough set now to 'publish' ha-ha.

Need to add another to the Thoughts section...

I can personally now vouch that the ride in the B8 S line with 20mm drop and 18" wheels is nowhere as jarring as what I experienced sometimes in the 1.9 TDI Sport with whatever setup it had at the time (sad to say that I don't really know how it was configured). Everyone said that this would be the case and I would find that out - and Everyone was correct.

mkc
05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
There is a sub on the standard stereo. On the Saloon its pointing down under the parcel shelf. In the Avant its on the floor of the boot.

I think its a fairly good standard stereo, given the quality of the standard one I had in my 1 Series. However, compared to the one in the Mrs A3 there is something missing on the A4 setup. Just very little in the way of clarity/seperation like you might find on some high end speakers.

spellsinger
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I will add one thing that should be on the Nav - A friend has an 18month old Golf with touch screen - on their system you can import POIs including gatsos via the SD card reader.

Mike

ScottyUK
06-09-2009, 08:17 AM
If you import from you're phone list in the directory profile (so you can add address etc) then it puts the full name in surname. Once you've sorted that out, it then sticks it in the list as Smith, John rather than John Smith like all the other entries :aargh4:

Hippogriff
06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Many thanks for going after this as it will benefit a lot of people if it gets resolved. :beerchug:

My letter sent to Audi Customer Services regarding the AMI 4,000 song limit can be found here...

http://www.hmusiccentre.org.uk/forumimages/Letter%20to%20Audi%20Customer%20Services%20-%20Sep%202009.pdf

...if anyone else cares about this, maybe it would be worth raising it in your own way also. It certainly can't hurt.

ScottyUK
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
It seems that they need to do more testing before roll out. If you and I can find issues like this inside a week then why can't those employed to do it.

Here's my updated issues with the Directory. :(

When importing from the phone or importing off an SD card in v-card format, it imports the name as "Smith, John" rather than "John Smith". It doesn't matter how the entry is stored in Outlook e.g. File as "Smith, John" or "John Smith".
It also imports the address as a postal address (regardless if it's tagged as a postal addresses or not in Outlook). The addresses are therefore not available as navigation addresses....which is why I'm trying to get them into the Directory in the first place!

If you then try "Create navigation address", it's meant to use the addresses in the record and make it navigable. It simply doesn't work. Perfectly correct addresses are either reported as not found (despite being able to manually enter it) or it seems to want to search the Netherlands for it.

Also on the countrys, Audi use Great Britain and Outlook uses United Kingdom. I've tried both without success.

A system such as this, when synched with a standard Nokia phone that sync's 100% perfectly with Outlook, should not have these basic issues. Its seems to be poor developement and testing.

:(

I wonder how much luck I'll have running this through Customer Services on the phone :aargh4:

juniperz
06-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Tweaks: Really need to decide whether to take the plunge and enable myself to do some tweaking, i.e. LED DRLs on full even when indicating... VIM.

Only of academic interest to me really since I don't have LED DRLs, but why would you want to do this? I assume that Audi in their wisdom decided that it was safer to dim the LED on the side that was indicating so that the indicator would be more visible. Doesn't reversing this, increase the chance that another road user will not see the signal with the possibility of unfortunate consequences? Or maybe I have misunderstood...

ScottyUK
06-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I stopped the winking on my loaner and then thought I'd leave it alone on the new car ..... but I found myself doing it.

Some people like the "cleverness" of the winking so are happy to leave it on. Some don't care. However I think it looks weird and yes I do see it as it's always noticable in the reflection of the car in front.

I had a good look at the lights after doing it and even got my wife out to the garage in the dark (ooh err) to check it and we were both happy it was safe.

I may turn it back at some point so never say never ;)

Hippogriff
06-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Only of academic interest to me really since I don't have LED DRLs, but why would you want to do this? I assume that Audi in their wisdom decided that it was safer to dim the LED on the side that was indicating so that the indicator would be more visible. Doesn't reversing this, increase the chance that another road user will not see the signal with the possibility of unfortunate consequences? Or maybe I have misunderstood...

Seriously, my answer to that question is neither scientific, responsible or conscientious - it's just "'cos I want to". Sorry that my perspective is not any deeper than that.

Likewise VIM.

Likewise, Audi decided that the needle gauge sweep should be an S (or RS too, I guess) thing only... to protect the branding... however, you can turn it on. Understand it's nothing similar from a potential safety perspective. I am going to hazard a guess that once you have the facility to change things like this, you often can go a little mad changing things for the hell of it...

Maybe I shall see for myself... got other things my money needs to flow to.

Hippogriff
06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
It seems that they need to do more testing before roll out. If you and I can find issues like this inside a week then why can't those employed to do it.

I think Audi would say that my AMI niggle is "working as designed".

I believe I have good rationale for wanting this changed and hope I have elucidated on this correctly in my letter... however, I expect to hit a wall where someone says "I'm sure it's set to this limit for a good reason and we see no need to change it"... I had conversations with them previously about the street name in the DIS (when I had the previous A4 with RNS-E) with no navigation set... letter, follow-up clarification call, emailed pictures, two more phone calls... they didn't get it and finally I ended up asking the (nice) woman if she knew what the DIS was, then she admitted she didn't.

No joke.

Went quiet then... I heard no more and couldn't be bothered chasing it.

juniperz
07-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I am going to hazard a guess that once you have the facility to change things like this, you often can go a little mad changing things for the hell of it...
Yeah, I can understand that. It's a shame that VAG-COM doesn't come as standard (though it does sounds as though, in the wrong hands, it really could be dangerous!).

Jop
07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
ahhhh.. ..

AMI: It is a real shame that Audi have shackled the number of songs on an external USB disk to 4,000. There is no point in people buying larger than 40GB drives it seems, as an average 320kbps CBR MP3 file will be around 10MB... 4,000 x 10MB = close to 40GB. Yet, it does seem strange that I have heard (after discussing this in some detail with Audi) that Audi Accessories are releasing an Audi Centenary 250GB drive for use in the AMI with "a capacity for 65,000 songs". I am in the process of writing to Audi Customer Services on this topic and my dealer is very happy for me to do this (shared the letter with her so it wasn't a surprise).
add that to the already extensive list of reasons to use an ipod.

ali_a4_avant
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I had a good look at the lights after doing it and even got my wife out to the garage in the dark (ooh err) to check it and we were both happy it was safe.

It's in daylight that it would be more of a problem as it would be much harder to distinguish orange flashes over the DRL's beam.

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
ahhhh.. ..

add that to the already extensive list of reasons to use an ipod.

Er... no.

ScottyUK
07-09-2009, 04:13 PM
It's in daylight that it would be more of a problem as it would be much harder to distinguish orange flashes over the DRL's beam.

Did that before ;)

Jop
07-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Er... no.
You need to get them blinkers off before you get left behind.
Soon enough you'll get a puncture, suppose you'll find a cave man to replace it with some carved stone that they call "wheel"
http://gallery.me.com/jonpaul99/100180/Outlook/web.jpg?ver=12523378330001
Im off now to listen to my 90th gig of lossless music.
Although i suppose if you didn't spec B&o you dont know anyway.

ScottyUK
07-09-2009, 06:32 PM
So if I bought an iPod classic i.e. 120Gb - would I be able to access all of it?

If so then why the hell doesn't a similar or larger HDD work? :confused:

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 06:46 PM
You need to get them blinkers off before you get left behind.
Soon enough you'll get a puncture, suppose you'll find a cave man to replace it with some carved stone that they call "wheel"
http://gallery.me.com/jonpaul99/100180/Outlook/web.jpg?ver=12523378330001
Im off now to listen to my 90th gig of lossless music.
Although i suppose if you didn't spec B&o you dont know anyway.

:beerchug: You're obviously happy with your iPod and iTunes. I just don't like them, that's all, but I won't look down on you for being happy with it. I do hope you get referral commission, though.

Hi-fi (-ish) for the house... not for the car. Although if there was something good as an option (not B&O, yuck!) - just for stereo stuff - like o'hEocha - then I might go for it. I genuinely do think the standard system is only really missing 'something' in that centre speaker.

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
So if I bought an iPod classic i.e. 120Gb - would I be able to access all of it?

iPods will fit into the netting better (more snugly) than My Passports, won't they?

ScottyUK
07-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Yep....but by access I meant play all tunes not be able to get my hands on it ;)

Jop
07-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Yes,
&.
basically when you use an ipod, its the ipod that actually plays the music. its just played through the stereo and you happen to have control of the ipod.
when you use a HDD (or similar) its the stereo or AMI that reads the file and plays the song.

i cant site any references to this, just my opinion after using both methods.

ScottyUK
07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
That makes sense. I'll wait to see what Audi say about the limitations and then I expect I'll be looking at getting myself a black Classic ;)

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Yep....but by access I meant play all tunes not be able to get my hands on it ;)

Oh, touché!

That makes sense. I'll wait to see what Audi say about the limitations and then I expect I'll be looking at getting myself a black Classic ;)

That really is the Dark Side. :p

Audi said to me that most of their drivers using the AMI were iPod owners.

ScottyUK
07-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I already have a foot in with the other camp due to my company's Christmas present a few years ago of a Nano....but it's only 8Mb. If the HDD option isn't there then it will be a Classic for me and for anyone else who wants their full music catalgue with the occasional exception who is hung up on something :biglaugh:

I'm used to having all my music as I had an 80Gb Phatbox. It does seem weird having to pick and choose :(

If Audi say "tough luck sonny that's all there is", would you consider an iPod? :confused:

Hippogriff
07-09-2009, 11:14 PM
If Audi say "tough luck sonny that's all there is", would you consider an iPod? :confused:

I don't think so. It's not that I'm dogmatic against them without knowing what I'm talking about, though - I have had one before but I really didn't like them, I even had the Bose Sounddock believe it or not. The biggest thing that I had against the whole iPod thing was iTunes. I'm not going to preach tho'...

Could always surprise myself. It's pretty obvious that the AMI netting was designed with the iPod in mind.

Are there many 1.8" USB hard drives around in numbers (and prices) yet?

ScottyUK
08-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Not seen any to be honest.

I'm also an iTunes hater but tolerate it in the breif time time use it gets.

It seems there's new iPods out tomorrow (errm today!) so maybe some price drops or something more tempting ;)

Jop
08-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Ipod's killer app is the ability to have it engraved.
Apart from that its rubbish. ;)

As an engineer the answer "i just dont like them" holds no weight with me. It needs to be qualified with proper reasoning. So until you manage to do that I'll keep recommending an ipod as a solution to your mp3/ami/storage problems and reasons for it.

Hippogriff
08-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Ah, yes, you do sound like an Engineer... starting sentences with a pompous "As an Engineer..." and then using that to justify pretty much everything you say - quashes all other arguments; the trump card. ;)

No problem. I'm not trying to convert people to USB disks... you can continue to try converting people to iPods, though. It doesn't bother me. I've always been pragmatic towards technology choices. I tried iPod / iTunes and I didn't like it... good enough for me.

As an Architect :aargh4:, I do have some views of my own, functional and aesthetic (something Engineers wouldn't really know about :aargh4:), but I resist colouring the opinions of people, i.e. I will resist qualifying with proper reasoning - it'd only start an argument. :D

And... yes... I'm kidding and digging both.

Jop
08-09-2009, 10:31 AM
look, all im saying is. You want all your music in the car, you cant do it with a usb disk as you've discovered. So why not get an ipod??

you say, "cos i hate ipods"

well then.. gutted. either you need to accept the fact that the ipod is the right device in this application or be stuck with only half your music collection.

Writing a letter to audi asking them to explain why you cant have more than 40GB of space on a disk no matter how large will at the very best get you a letter in return.
You could put this letter in the glovebox and read it each time you want to listen to a track that's still on your computer at home.

Me... i'd rather the right device for the job and all my music with me. But I guess thats what makes us all different.

Hippogriff
08-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Seriously, there's no need to get antsy just 'cos I won't do what you want.

I know what you're saying, you don't have to repeat it... I'm not dumb... just 'cos I don't agree with you also doesn't make me dumb - it just makes you sound repetitive.

As an Architect :aargh4:, I prefer to strive for the right long-term solution, not just meekly accept what I'm given. I guess that's what makes us different.

Again... I'm not starting an argument on the merits or opposite of iPods. ;)

Jop
08-09-2009, 10:44 AM
hey, im try to get through to you that an ipod will do what you want it to.
good luck in finding your own solution.

Hippogriff
08-09-2009, 10:50 AM
No, Jop, you're not. You don't need to, either, I actually understand the technicalities of the situation, believe it or not. What you are trying to do is make me look foolish for not agreeing with you... and when I don't agree with you, ridiculing me for not coming up with reasons that satisfy you and pouring cold water on my attempts to change things for the better by communicating with Audi.

Well, thanks for your help.

I think we should just agree to disagree and not mention it again. I'll report back my success or failure (most likely failure, I do agree) with Audi. I don't want to make enemies or suchlike on such a friendly forum. Friends..?

Jop
08-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Friends..?
The very best. :beerchug:

juniperz
08-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Thank goodness for that! I was getting worried because this really is a very helpful and friendly forum :approve:

troc
08-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Dammit, I was looking for my popcorn and some photos of a load of handbags to put up :)

:beerchug:

Jop
08-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I know...
It went from a small heckle to an all out war.
Sorry if anyone got injured.

@hippo, i'll be selling my ipod soon, apparently there's new ones on the way :) and I love a gadget.
I'll hold onto it for you as i know your desperate to get your hands on one.:biglaugh:

Hippogriff
08-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I'll hold onto it for you as i know your desperate to get your hands on one.:biglaugh:

I don't have the bleeding cable, though. I specifically got the two USB ones.

Though, I admit, I don't know what I'll use the big USB one for. I don't have a gadget that will fit in there.

I might do a search on the new iPods... see what's being offered. Will the AMI be guaranteed to support them straightaway?

Jop
08-09-2009, 11:42 AM
[COLOR=#000000]I might do a search on the new iPods... see what's being offered. Will the AMI be guaranteed to support them straightaway?
Unfortunately....... yes.

And... if you chose an ipod, I will send you the right cable as a peace offering as I have one spare.

[COLOR=black]Though, I admit, I don't know what I'll use the big USB one for. I ]
you can use this one to perform your own Software updates on the MMI.

Bratty
08-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Can you not just have an i-pod AND the usb Hard drive running in parallel that way you get the advantage of having a huge stash of music at hand and being able to be mobile with the pod for other cars and situations?
I am quite a fan of old school vynil music, it is somehow a bit more natural, the problem that I will have to fill my boot with the discs which will murder fuel economy and acceleration!! Also I do not think that the turntable on the center of the dash will cope well with the 30mm lowered suspension along with 24 inch wheels (no tyres just wheels!);)

Dunk

Hippogriff
08-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Writing a letter to audi asking them to explain why you cant have more than 40GB of space on a disk no matter how large will at the very best get you a letter in return.

Merely an FYI for any interested observers... I had a message on my home answerphone upon my return from work from Michelle at Audi Customer Services, basically just telling me that my letter had been received and it was (got a bit muffled) "being assigned to a case manager" or something.

I guess they didn't have to call me, so that's quite nice. It would be even better if they had left their number, or given me a case number so that I could follow-up, but I think they protect that..? Or do they?

Let's see what we can see...

ScottyUK
08-09-2009, 06:18 PM
All I've had so far to my two emails is two automated receipts. :(

Hippogriff
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
People just don't take the time to sit down and write a good letter these days. I even thought about hand writing mine - for increased impact - harder to ignore than some word processed tosh.

Sadly, my hatred of laziness only goes so far... then I prefer to be lazy.

I do sums with an abacus, though...

Seriously, though, Audi Customer Services (the dudes hiding somewhere in Sheffield) have an email address? Can you share it or is it well known?

ScottyUK
08-09-2009, 06:25 PM
It's just the online form on the Audi website. It's basically a web page that you form fill.

Jop
08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
the email address convention is firstname.lastname@audi.co.uk

I had terrible troubles getting my initial car sorted so have a few peoples email address.
I wont give out any specific email address's but let's just say that the person who was the least helpful was called Fiona Bruce. She work's for the Executive Team in conjunction with Audi UK acting as liaison between Audi UK Directors and AUDI AG
Number of the call center is 0808 101 4888 (i wont be giving out her extension though)
In my experience, They are able to look up your case by name but unless you have had a call form the person looking into it you wont get any update that you dont already know.
Most communication from Audi UK was by phone and I got the impression that they didn't want to put anything in writing.

I also got a response from service@audi.de although they mainly chased up Audi UK for progress.

Just to put a line under it, Audi UK were of no help at all until I threatened legal action (and was ready to go) then the dealer stepped in and sorted my problems.
I'm not going into it all again, the story is on here somewhere.

ScottyUK
25-09-2009, 07:45 AM
All I've had so far to my two emails is two automated receipts. :(

2.5 weeks later and I'm advised to go to the dealer who will raise DISS reports with Audi :aargh4:

Bratty
25-09-2009, 03:08 PM
The e-mail address used by Audi Vw etc is great. When I was getting to the "goddam malicious" stage of my car ordering fiasco I tipped in the name of the Franchise Director (who was up to that stage receiving comms via his personnel assistant and replies would take days) and he received them!?! Needless to say they were very direct and in retrospect a little bit strong but he replied almost immediately. Shortly after that his e-mail address did not seem to function anymore:Blush2:

Dunk