PDA

View Full Version : ABS warning light

samd
20-04-2007, 11:38 AM
The warning light for the ABS has recently come on in my 1999 T-reg A6 1.8TSE manual.

I was driving along and then there are three loud beeps (like when petrol gets low), and a big flashing exclamation mark appears on the dash screen. At the same time, the orange ABS warning light comes on. It will normally carry on doing this until I turn the engine off. The brakes work ok during this time, although obviously I've not needed the ABS since then.

Each time I turn the engine on, it's usually a few minutes before this warning light comes back on.

I imagine this is probably a faulty sensor, but how would I go about getting this fixed? The Audi dealership want £105/hr just to diagnose the problem, while it is in for a service next week! I told them to just do the oil service and I'll worry about the ABS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sam

Cambrai
20-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Sam,
I have recently had this very problem. 1999 Audi A6 1.8T SE. You will need to have a computer diagnostic conducted. I paid £40 for this from a local garage. This will give them an idea as to the problem. It could be a faulty wheel sensor or as in my case the ABS Modulator. Audi quote £1400 to replace this part!! I shopped around on the internet and used www.ecu-testing.com (http://www.ecu-testing.com) for a reconditioned part. £200 plus VAT. They charge £60 extra until they receive your duff modulator and this £60 is returned. You can send your part (if your happy to drive without the modulator) have it repaired for £100. Either way alot less than Audi. They also give you a 2 year warranty (also better than Audi).
Hope this helps
Steve

AudiA62.5TDI
23-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I have recently done the same as Sam, its quite a saving using ECU.