PDA

View Full Version : TDI vs TFSI

Sheriff
03-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Hello All,

I'm new to the site. Trying to make my mind up on my new company car, considering the A5 TDI 170PS vs the FSI quattro 211PS. I like the idea of the S tronic FSI 211 but is it worth the extra tax over the TDI? Will be doing about 20k miles per year and not sure i like the idea of going back to manual. Could anyone comment on the difference between both cars performance and ride (will be the S-line for both options)?

Thanks,

Sheriff

pitch3110
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi,

I have had a similar issue but with A4's.

I have driven 211PS S-tronic and its a great engine gearbox setup, but it does drink the smelly stuff when you use the loud pedal.

Auto was important also important to me so I have opted for a 143PS with Multitronic (not poss on 170PS)and will add Bluefin after a few 000's which will get it up to 180 'ish PS.

I am fortunate though in the sense that wifey has an ED30 GTI so I am getting the best of both worlds.

What ever you decide on I am sure you will enjoy.....lots

ta

clive marshall
10-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Yep good choice as the 143PS with Multitronic which I have just taken delivery of, well 6 weeks ago, is fantastic when chipped, either Spider or Bluefin although I am concerned about remapping the ECU as when the car is serviced, the dealer sometimes flashes the ECU and you loose the settings. With a Spider, which I have a lot of experience with not only on my new A4 but my son's Fabia and latterly his wifes A3, I would say it is a more reliable option and you just unplug if your dealer is not 'chip freindly'. Mine seems not to have a problem but I think it is wise to unplug and remove when the dealer has the car as you never know what the cunning buggers will think up to void a warranty. CLIVE

onemanparty
12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Hello All,

I'm new to the site. Trying to make my mind up on my new company car, considering the A5 TDI 170PS vs the FSI quattro 211PS. I like the idea of the S tronic FSI 211 but is it worth the extra tax over the TDI? Will be doing about 20k miles per year and not sure i like the idea of going back to manual. Could anyone comment on the difference between both cars performance and ride (will be the S-line for both options)?

Thanks,

Sheriff

I have had an A5 2.0TDI Sline - Nice Car - Bad Torque steer - I think this has been sorted in MY10 vehicles, If you do not mind daily visits to the Petrol Station I would go for the TFSI if not 2.0TDi is great for 500+ Miles from the tank

MFGF
21-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi,

From the financial side of things, assuming you are in the 40% income tax bracket and your company doesn't pay for fuel, the difference will be £765.60 per year in tax (£63.80 per month) for the S-Line 2.0 TDi 170 manual vs S-Line 2.0 TFSi 211 S-tronic.

Obviously, if you add extras and/or you get your private fuel paid for, the gap between the two will widen further.

In your position, I'd ask for a test drive of both cars, then decide whether the auto box and extra performance is worth the extra money each month.

Still, it's a nice dilemma to have! :)

MF.