PDA

View Full Version : Avant heater matrix

Scotty Dave
19-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi, I think my heater matrix might be leaking, when I turn the heater to hot there is a puff of something out of the vent and the screen mists over instantly, theres also a funny smell. Any idea how big a job it is to remove, probably quite major looking at it.

Thanks Dave:1zhelp:

domross
19-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi Dave ,Defo sounds as if your matrix has gone....
Easy or not easy options depending on what you want to do....easy options...1. Good old radweld or similar may work...
2. Look in engine bay to where coolant pipes go into bulkhead (interior) you can disconnect pipes from matrix here and put a bypass pipe between the two...only problem here is that you won't have any heater....
Difficult option...
Replace matrix....I've read somewhere tha Audi start with the heater matrix and then build the car around it...unfortunately true ,the whole dash needs to come off and start from there :(

In the mean time check your coolant level regularly...and wear some water-proof shoes cos your footwells are probably gonna get wet!!!

Regards

Dom

Scotty Dave
19-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks, I thought that would be the answer:( . Might try Radweld etc for now till I find time to strip dash:aargh4: School hols when the car is not needed so much. Stuck my head in the footwell and your right Audi start with the heater!

Dave:(

Ian W
20-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Oh no, really sorry to hear this mate. It's got to be the worst job to do purely because of how time-consuming it is.

I thought i'd solved this same problem when i got rid of my last car (Toyota Supra) as that was built around the heater matrix too. Toyota or any other garage for that matter would charge £1k+ to do the job! :o

Good luck mate, hope you don't get too wet nor cold.

If it makes you feel any worse, apparently volvo's heater matrix's are just a case of removing the glove box, undoing and sliding out.

lol

Scotty Dave
20-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah its going be a big job.

Funny thing about the Volvo Id looked at one in the morning before I bought the Audi!

Dave

robbig
28-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi Scotty just had the same problem with my 2.8 A4 quattro did you manage to get the heater matrix out if so do you have any pointers I have just stripped down the centre console to the metal supports dont really know where to go from here any help would be much appreciated

Scotty Dave
29-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi, Sorry to hear about your A4.Its not a good job, I've attached a pic, PREPARE for a SHOCK!! I had thought about changing the car! except I really like it, so went ahead and did the matrix:aargh4:.

Took about 6hrs altogether. I have a 2.0 16v 80 Avant so I dont know if the A4 is the same have a good look as to where your heater is. Begin with the lower dash panels and glovebox then steering wheel, column switchs, clocks, center switchs heater controls etc, take your time and if in dout about putting back together label as you go. When put the Dash back in it helps to take the trim of the windscreen posts for clearance, also on mine there are some cable runs under the steering column if the A4 has the same make sure you bolt them back in or the lower panel will fall on your knees.

Start on a Saturday to get the dash out, then chill out and have a Beer or Two! then put it all back together on Sunday then have more Beer you'll need it:D.

Dave

robbig
30-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Cheers Scotty accomplished it this weekend. I started on Friday morning and finished Saturday dinner time. It took a day to get out and half a day to put back in. I wrote the procedure on the "How To" pages in case anybody else was stuck. Cheers for the help

kledi0
03-10-2007, 04:25 PM
It's a big job. did that last year by myself. would reccomend an electric screwdriver. took me in total about 7-8 hours to do it over 2 days.

Colin300
06-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I am currently in the middle of changing the heater matrix on 1991 Audi 80. This thread and others on the forum have been very helpful and helped me have the confidence to get the dash out. Getting it back i is begining to look daunting though!
But can anyone help me with the next steps? I am looking at the black heater heater box and the ducting to the fan on the passenger side but I can't see the way in to the matrix?

paul20v
27-10-2007, 05:19 PM
hi ive done the matrix to take the seats out it gives you much more room to work 7 hrs total job did not stop get it done thats how i work i hate leaving a job till the next day :beerchug:

ini
27-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Radweld, or similar 'faster acting' product is your friend.

It sealed a matrix leak in my A4.