PDA

View Full Version : Hello and which engine in the Passat

snifferdog
02-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Hello from Wales,

I'm looking to purchase a Passat 1.9 TDI, the one I've seen is a 2002 51 plate and advertised as a 1.9 S TDI Auto/Tiptronic, what I'd like to know is which engine does it have, the 100 BHP or the 130 BHP, I've asked the seller who is a bit of an Arthur Daley I think and cant tell me which engine it is. Its critical to know as I intend to tow a caravan and the 100 BHP will not be suitable for my needs.

Appreciate any pointers and looking forward to using the forum in future.

Regards

Steve

zollaf
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
welcome from wales. the best way to correctly identify which engine it is, is to find the engine code on the label near the spare wheel or in the handbook. failing that it may be on the cam belt cover. it will be 3 letters long. e.g. ADR etc... if you can get that info and post it, you will then find the output.

snifferdog
02-09-2009, 05:03 PM
welcome from wales. the best way to correctly identify which engine it is, is to find the engine code on the label near the spare wheel or in the handbook. failing that it may be on the cam belt cover. it will be 3 letters long. e.g. ADR etc... if you can get that info and post it, you will then find the output.

Thanks for the quick reply, I just had a brain storm and put the registration into http://www.freecarcheck.org/ and it came back with 'Model: Passat S Tdi Pd (130)' so looks like a 130 bhp, what does the 'Pd' stand for?

zollaf
02-09-2009, 05:16 PM
that was easy then. pd is pumpe duse, which means unit injector. basically there are 4 injectors running off the camshaft that are electronically controlled by the ecu. these inject the fuel at about 20, 000 psi into the combustion chamber.

snifferdog
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
that was easy then. pd is pumpe duse, which means unit injector. basically there are 4 injectors running off the camshaft that are electronically controlled by the ecu. these inject the fuel at about 20, 000 psi into the combustion chamber.

Thanks for that, big question now is, do I buy? He wants £3k wont take a penny less, 87,000 miles, clean car nice alloys too. Nightmare buying cars :1zhelp:

64 SPLIT
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
they're excellent cars and I'd highly recommend one (as a current Passat owner myself!) - have a look over at the UKPassats website if you've got any particular queries or concerns as there's plenty of owners there who can give you model-specific things to look out for (such as cam wear on the 130's if they've been run with incorrect spec oil etc.)...