PDA

View Full Version : Ignition key in glovebox

Dtom
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
I notice that some people are keeping the 3rd ignition key in the holder in the glovebox but is this safe? If a thief breaks a window and climbs in the car wont they be able to drive off using the key? Also what is the point of the key anyway, if you have lost your main key you wont be able to get in the car to get the 3rd key anyway.

David

kavithakrar
02-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I notice that some people are keeping the 3rd ignition key in the holder in the glovebox but is this safe? If a thief breaks a window and climbs in the car wont they be able to drive off using the key? Also what is the point of the key anyway, if you have lost your main key you wont be able to get in the car to get the 3rd key anyway.

David

Hi David,

I think there is a book that came with your car called a Manual... it is worth a read. :biglaugh:

in any case, the key in the glovebox, is a generic "key adapter" It won't do anything, without the little black key that came with the 2 main keys (emergency key for your wallet/handbag) If you loose your main key, use the small black plastic key to unlock the car. Then open the glove box, put black plastic key into adapter kept in glove box, and then use as normal.

HTH!

ScottyUK
02-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Perhaps it was this pic in my other thread that made you think this. :confused:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6799&d=1251890385

As mentioned it's just a blank .... and it's meant to go in the holder provided. The small plastic key then goes in your purse/wallet etc.

Dtom
02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Manuals are for wimps, only joking.

That explains it then so the plastic key that Audi have smeared with grease goes in my pocket, wallet or whatever and the adaptor goes in the glovebox. It's a little worrying that a lump of plastic can be used to start my car! I thought there was some intelligence in the main key that did some handshaking with the car to verify it was a valid key.

David

B8 TDI
02-09-2009, 05:04 PM
there is, and the little black plastic key holds that slots into the blank is what makes it work, on it's own it does nothing, it's also called the service key.

mkc
02-09-2009, 07:26 PM
The key that you. mention that is smeared with grease will get you into the car should the battery fail in the fob. You then place the plastic service key into holder thats currently in the glove box.

Word of warning though, if you open the car with the greasy key the alarm then goes off a few seconds after being sat in the car.

Jop
02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Manuals are for wimps, only joking.

That explains it then so the plastic key that Audi have smeared with grease goes in my pocket, wallet or whatever and the adaptor goes in the glovebox. It's a little worrying that a lump of plastic can be used to start my car! I thought there was some intelligence in the main key that did some handshaking with the car to verify it was a valid key.

David

Im told the service key contains an rfid chip that handshakes with the car.

also, i dont know why its smeared in grease, mine was mint clean.

sunil1234
03-09-2009, 01:40 PM
The key that you. mention that is smeared with grease will get you into the car should the battery fail in the fob. You then place the plastic service key into holder thats currently in the glove box.

Word of warning though, if you open the car with the greasy key the alarm then goes off a few seconds after being sat in the car.

mate, if your fob fails (as mine has done 3 times?!), you just slide the metal key out of your non-working fob and use it to unlock the car. Dont need the emergency key.

Regards

kavithakrar
03-09-2009, 01:50 PM
mate, if your fob fails (as mine has done 3 times?!), you just slide the metal key out of your non-working fob and use it to unlock the car. Dont need the emergency key.

Regards

mate, it is incase you loose your key, not if it stops working....you have a spare in your wallet

Regards

sunil1234
03-09-2009, 01:51 PM
mate, it is incase you loose your key, not if it stops working....you have a spare in your wallet

Regards

please read the specific post i was referring to by mkc and then comment. Just to help you, you will find it quoted in my original reply;)

kavithakrar
03-09-2009, 01:57 PM
please read the specific post i was referring to by mkc and then comment. Just to help you, you will find it quoted in my original reply;)

good point!...

2.7 S-line
03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
its also usefull for trips to the beach - its waterproof so you can keep it on you in the sea/pool

ScottyUK
03-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Good point !!! I've never thought of that.

Have you actually tried it or is it "reported to be waterproof" ?

On hols soon so would be handy ;)

sunil1234
04-09-2009, 09:46 AM

dare you to pressure wash it now to test it:biglaugh:

ScottyUK
04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
You should have said last week when I had the loan car :D

2.7 S-line
04-09-2009, 12:26 PM

yes been in the pool for a good hour or so with it in the key pocket of my swimming shorts - no problems

sunil1234
09-09-2009, 03:33 PM
yes been in the pool for a good hour or so with it in the key pocket of my swimming shorts - no problems
thats cos u havent got out of the pool to start yur car yet

what if you lose it in the pool and then it goes down the drain hole or something :p

ScottyUK
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I guess the key would be as ineffective as any other lost key ;)

sunil1234
10-09-2009, 02:57 PM
see best to leave it at home, the other chap lost his plastic key whilst at the beach:p

ScottyUK
10-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Surely better to lose the plastic one than one of the biggun's :p:D

sunil1234
11-09-2009, 07:17 AM
maybe, but knowing audi the plastic one will be twice the price of the big un!:p:D

troc
11-09-2009, 08:20 AM
"But Sir, this is Audi plastic"

:biglaugh:

sunil1234
15-09-2009, 11:49 AM
"But Sir, this is Audi plastic"

:biglaugh:

yes monsiuer, you are very lucky for such high quality plastic, accept only genuine parts:D

bez101
15-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Im told the service key contains an rfid chip that handshakes with the car.

also, i dont know why its smeared in grease, mine was mint clean.
grease i can only guess what kinda safe place he was keeping his !!!!!:aargh4:

73kingstonroad
15-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I have found a handy place on the car to store mine. It is fastened in place with a plastic tie wrap. It may look a bit dodgy if and when I have to get to it. But then it is my car anyway.

Martin

ScottyUK
15-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Be careful as if the car does go due to it then your insurance won't pay out. :(

sunil1234
16-09-2009, 10:38 AM
and when it goes into audi someone might spot it:(

73kingstonroad
16-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I would say you would be hard pressed to find it on the car without taking parts off the car first.
If I broke the part taking it off to get to the key the cost of it is a lot less than a call out or ringing someone to fetch me the spare.

Martin

sunil1234
17-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I would say you would be hard pressed to find it on the car without taking parts off the car first.
If I broke the part taking it off to get to the key the cost of it is a lot less than a call out or ringing someone to fetch me the spare.

Martin

are you sure coz me and Scotty are gonna come round yer house and snap off your wing mirror glass and side skirts and rear diffuser and maybe engine bay tray to try and find it:beerchug::D

73kingstonroad
17-09-2009, 08:56 PM
are you sure coz me and Scotty are gonna come round yer house and snap off your wing mirror glass and side skirts and rear diffuser and maybe engine bay tray to try and find it:beerchug::D

Ok... :biglaugh:

Let us know when and I'll open the back tenfoot gate and also the carport doors.
I'd best put the dog away as well, I don't want you suing me for damages.

Cheers... :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Martin

ScottyUK
17-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Don't go to any effort. It's easier to follow you to safer ground ;)

ScottyUK
17-09-2009, 10:46 PM
p.s. Was on the beach and in the sea today and I took the full fob....and left it in the bag with the Mrs.

I still don't like the idea of taking the plastic key in the sea ;)

73kingstonroad
17-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Joking aside...

It's a scary thought, having lost your key and been several hundred miles away from home.
It's something I have never thought of until I notice the black plastic key when I had my hand over and asked what's it for.

At least I'm save in the knowledge that there is a two part key upon my car incase of an emergency...

Martin

sunil1234
18-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Ok... :biglaugh:

Let us know when and I'll open the back tenfoot gate and also the carport doors.
I'd best put the dog away as well, I don't want you suing me for damages.

Cheers... :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Martin

Scotty can open all of those and disable your dog using his vag.com:p:biglaugh:

Mclucker
08-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Just wanted to resurrect this thread with a question; is a key adapter meant to be supplied with each car or do you have to purchase it separately?

73kingstonroad
08-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Just wanted to resurrect this thread with a question; is a key adapter meant to be supplied with each car or do you have to purchase it separately?

You should get a key fob like the one in the picture

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6799&d=1251890385

And also a black plastic stick that is cut like a key.

open the door with the black plastic stick/key then slot it into the key fob then put it in the same place as if you would your normal key. This will start the car as normal

Martin

Mclucker
10-02-2010, 08:30 PM
My dealer states that not all A4's come with an adapter, even showed me cars without the holder in the glove box. Is he full of BS or what?

ScottyUK
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Sounds like more BS.

Ask him which ones dos and which ones don't and watch him squirm. I bet he doesn't have an answer.

Also ask him what use the plastic emergency key is without one.

Finally ask him why in the owners manual the emergency key and fob aren't shown as options and therefore but default must be standard options.

By this point he should be saying something like "Don't worry. I'll go and get you one out of the stores" :biglaugh: