PDA

View Full Version : Beware Windows users

JSH
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi all

Just a warning to you microsoft users out there. A friend in IT has warned me of some nasty viruses - Trojan Horses about at the noment that attach to emails that you recieve, It looks as if its caught Norton AV napping so you may not be as protected as you think.

Be Safe John

Sam
02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Hmm a bit vague

Do you have any more information?

JSH
02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Sorry Im afraid not. It was just a conversation with a ( Trusted ) Mate in our IT Dept.
It has apparently appeared as an attachment to a email as it transpires without the senders knowledge. So the attachment has been opened in good faith thinking the sender is trustworthy, And all hell broke loose making the machines too unstable you do anything with, Even in DOS. All I know a couple of our laptops have been infected that were running Norton Anti Virus, Which didnt detect it. The IT dept tried to recover lost / corrupt files without success. And Those boys are Good.
Just be carefull of all attachments before you open them. And keep updateing regular.

John

onzarob
02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Just be carefull of all attachments before you open them. And keep updateing regular.

John

That should be a normal way of life when using any system ;)

Eshrules
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Sorry Im afraid not. It was just a conversation with a ( Trusted ) Mate in our IT Dept.
It has apparently appeared as an attachment to a email as it transpires without the senders knowledge. So the attachment has been opened in good faith thinking the sender is trustworthy, And all hell broke loose making the machines too unstable you do anything with, Even in DOS. All I know a couple of our laptops have been infected that were running Norton Anti Virus, Which didnt detect it. The IT dept tried to recover lost / corrupt files without success. And Those boys are Good.

John

I'm dizzy...

he said, she said, the doctor said what....?

seriously though, what sort of company relies on Norton as an antivirus? It's bloatware and totally inadequate at it's job. No wonder your firm was vulnerable!

onzarob
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
seriously though, what sort of company relies on Norton as an antivirus?

I could name 2 very large international corporations....its call 'Symantec Endpoint Security' ;)

Still not as good as CA with the update that saw all PC files as a virus and quarantined them

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4899

That caused fun at work!! Bet the virus writers couldn't of done it better:p:D

JSH
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Interesting! I didnt know Norton was regarded as iffy.

Sorry for posting in Chat off topic forum, ( Didnt know about a computer section ) I just thought if something was out there that could pass security it might just save someone grief

Oh by the way totally agree you should always be carefull with attachments. I was told this seemed to attach its self to known contacts & its easy to drop your guard

John

paul b
02-09-2009, 08:00 PM
My computer apparently contracted a trojan horse the other day, which Norton AV didn't know what to do about. It didn't quarantine it or remove it.

It's done something though, as nothing has been affected. All of the symptoms I should be getting, I don't get.

Maybe I should bin this Norton thing...

sooty
02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
There are always new viruses ETC going around.
Best thing is to be vigilent all the time

STEWY L
02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi all

Just a warning to you microsoft users out there. A friend in IT has warned me of some nasty viruses - Trojan Horses about at the noment that attach to emails that you recieve, It looks as if its caught Norton AV napping so you may not be as protected as you think.

Be Safe John
walk into any good computer shop in any town centre( not retail parks),
and they will not sell you norton if you ask for it.
if you want one for your own comp,i would advise AVAST,which is a free download,lasts 12-14 mth then needs to be downloaded again,but updates itself automatically until then. just google AVAST.
regards,
stewy.

onzarob
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Maybe I should bin this Norton thing...

I've used all the main products over the year, Norton, CA, Mcafee, Sohpos, AVG etc and they all have there plus and downsides. but they all give pretty good protection. But as they are well known there are some that get stuck removing certain viruses (the viruses try to fool them).

Norton has been labeled in the pasta bit heavy on CPU time, not sure what the current version is like , I use Mcafee at the moment, but that's because it came with a free license with Sky broadband ;)

STEWY L
02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I've used all the main products over the year, Norton, CA, Mcafee, Sohpos, AVG etc and they all have there plus and downsides. but they all give pretty good protection. But as they are well known there are some that get stuck removing certain viruses (the viruses try to fool them).

Norton has been labeled in the pasta bit heavy on CPU time, not sure what the current version is like , I use Mcafee at the moment, but that's because it came with a free license with Sky broadband ;)
another view is that if a virus is aimed at the "big" names,(norton avg, mcafee), and is successful,then more computers are infected for said effort.
may not be worth trying to get past the "smaller fry"?
regards,
stewy.

Eshrules
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Every PC I've come across with Norton installed has had it's resources hogged and removing the god awful software is an ordeal in itself.

If ever there were a reason to avoid a piece of software, the fact PC World sells it speaks volumes.

imho, there's only one of two A/V's I'd have installed, Kaspersky (not even that expensive any more) or Avast (my current favoured A/V).

STEWY L
02-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Every PC I've come across with Norton installed has had it's resources hogged and removing the god awful software is an ordeal in itself.

If ever there were a reason to avoid a piece of software, the fact PC World sells it speaks volumes.

imho, there's only one of two A/V's I'd have installed, Kaspersky (not even that expensive any more) or Avast (my current favoured A/V).
as my earlier post,no decent comp shop will sell you norton.
i'm running avast,free download on the recomendation of my local shop.
my new comp had macafee installed,i never took it up,but had to download an unistall tool to get shot of it before loading avast.
if you are not I T or PC wise,then you must seek advice, otherwise you are at the mercy of pc world etc.
like wise,if cars aren't your forte, kwickfit make a killing.
regards,
stewy.

toff
15-09-2009, 01:03 AM
if you are not I T or PC wise,then you must seek advice, otherwise you are at the mercy of pc world etc.
like wise,if cars aren't your forte, kwickfit make a killing.
regards,
stewy.

I totally agree, the useless commission-junkies sell whatever makes them the most money, not what's the best product.

I used to like Norton Internet Security up until a few years ago when it just became horribly bloated (as someone else has said).

I have used Trend Micro in multi-site corporate environments and domestic environments for years.

I love it and rate it very highly.

Al.

Black Neutron
25-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah norton is rubbish. Just wait till you try and remove it from your machine. It infests your comp like a cancer and it takes forever to get it removed. Ive got Avira and im very happy with it. Avast is good as is panda. I wouldnt recommend Norton to my worst enemy lol.

toff
26-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah norton is rubbish. Just wait till you try and remove it from your machine. It infests your comp like a cancer and it takes forever to get it removed. Ive got Avira and im very happy with it. Avast is good as is panda. I wouldnt recommend Norton to my worst enemy lol.

Norton do provide a pretty comprehensive and effective removal tool for their suite of products:

Click here to go to the download page (http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN)

Al.